RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunbroker question

Boolit Master

Gunbroker question

Sometimes people on auctions do things that look good, but are bad. Sometimes people do things that look bad, but are fine (especially on ebay).
    With that in mind, why would a "buyer" on a 7 day Gunbroker auction with a "buy now" price (same as the starting price) correspond with the seller (me), asking for more info, pics, etc, and not buy the item, but ten minutes after the auction ends with no buyer, send me an email saying he'd buy the gun, where do I send the check?
    I didn't sell him the gun. I'm wondering if something is amiss, or is that OK? Doesn't seem OK.

I'm thinking that if something wasn't right, it would have popped up in the next phase of the transaction.
    Last edited by Battis; 10-21-2020 at 06:57 AM.

Boolit Master

if it smells like a scam, it probably is a scam.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    And,, then again,, a month ago, I bought 500 brand new, primed, 300 Blackout brass for $129, delivered off of GB.
    Heck, 500 SR primers alone should cost $30-50, and even then, Blackout brass was non-existent,,

I ordered it, 4 days later, the brass was in my mailbox,, it was not a scam,,
    I have been shooting it,,

It is out of stock, now,, I JUST looked, yesterday,,,

Boolit Master

If someone says they want to buy your item and tells you they will send you a certified cashier's check or certified bank check, get away from it. You can be 99.9% sure its a scam. Nigerians first set it up. The check would have to go 3 to 4 banks, taking about a month and then it would come back to you as bogus. By then, the people would have your goods and be gone. You are left holding the bag and having to pay back the money the bank put in your account as well as fees. I've seen it used with cars, guns, boats, and other things. And, it just happened to me, yesterday, with some antiques I was selling on a local site. Told the person, "If you have time to get a certified check, you have time to get a USPO MO." Haven't heard from him since.
    Last edited by gbrown; 10-21-2020 at 08:07 AM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

ADMIN

Gunbroker question

It could be something as simple as the auction slipped up or they were undecided.
    I would tell them to send a USPS money order with a copy of the FFL.
    Go to the post office and cash the MO.
    If they cash it then send the weapon.
    If they don’t then don’t.
    Pretty simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master
    It's an antique - no FFL required. The auction was fine. It ended, ten minutes later I got the email. It's probably fine, though I'm not going to sell it to him.

Moderator Emeritus

It smells like a scam to me, because it appears he is wanting you to go around Gunbroker, so you wouldn't have them as an intermediary if there is problems.
    Is there anyway you can get his name/address and do a little Google research to see if the buyer is legit?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    The more I think about it, the more I think it's a scam. I just went back over the emails, and he asked me if he could send a personal check, even though I did not list that payment option on the auction.

Boolit Master
    An aside on this, selling it post sale will eliminate GB from being able to help you if this does go south. I have definitely missed auction endings before myself though!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    One good thing, if he will agree to send a USPS money order, he can't leave bad feedback, claiming it was not as described in the ad, as it wasn't sold through gunjoker, and he can't reclaim the money via paypal/credit card or other electronic means. You have his money, tough toenails.

Moderator Emeritus

Relist it and send him the link.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    zi have sold on flabby for years and nothing surprises me anymore. I have had very similar thing happen a number of times. As pointed out - could be a number of things. He was interested and wanted more photos - not an unusual request - he may have been pondering back and forth of how badly he wanted the gun or if he wanted the gun - work or family things came up and he lost track of the time the auction ended. Some people buy on impulse and hit the BIN button immediately - others - they take their time thinking about the purchase. I've done the same thing myself on several occasions in regards to things I was looking at for my collection.

Scam? I suppose it could be but just because the individual didn't buy it during the auction time, doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't want the gun. If he contacted you and asked where to send the money/payment - you, as the seller, certainly have the right to not ship the item until you know payment is good - i.e. not a fake money order, a bad check, etc. And, since the auction closed and there was no buyer - you also have the right to refuse selling it to the individual. If he wants it and you aren't comfortable with doing it outside of the auction site - then you can put it up again on a BIN and he can purchase it through the site - but he if he does - he's still going to have to make a good payment and you will be going through the same steps of waiting to insure the p0ayment is good. You are in driver's seat so it's up to you. I'm not familiar with GB's rules as far as doing outside transactions but it seems that it the auction is closed and it didn't sell - you should be free to dispose of it as you wish or keep it.

Boolit Master
    The starting price was the Buy It Now price. After 7 days, with extra pics sent, and you miss the auction end by 10 minutes...
    Maybe I'm just seeing boogie men everywhere nowadays.
    It's funny - my wife loves that particular gun. She even offered to buy it, which made no sense. Things work out...

No personal check. Go with a U.S.P.S. money order only.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    It could be something as simple as the auction slipped up or they were undecided.
    I would tell them to send a USPS money order with a copy of the FFL.
    Go to the post office and cash the MO.
    If they cash it then send the weapon.
    If they don’t then don’t.
    Pretty simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great advice
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    first gut reaction is the best usually
    could have been something nefarious and maybe not
    if you set it up to accept a certain type of payment and they agree to it no problem
    its when they try and do thing other than the way you want it is when I would back away
    I have good dealings on all my Gunbroker transactions you just need to trust your gut
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Yep ,
    Smells fishy to me too.
    There are so many people trying to scam someone these days that you have no idea who to trust.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rightbrained View Post
    Yep ,
    Smells fishy to me too.
    There are so many people trying to scam someone these days that you have no idea who to trust.
    This.

I hate selling items on Craigslist since either I get contacted by mostly scammers or idiots.

I sell a lot of tires since I like to try different tread designs. I will list the old set with multiple pics showing the size and condition. I will put the size in the header for the ad, and I will state in the ad that I have no idea if they will fit your particular vehicle or rim.

Still, I get multiple calls and messages from people asking if they will fit their particular vehicle. I had one guy buy a set of tires, then come back two days later and say they won't fit his pickup and wanted his money back. Tough cookies. You got a good deal so sell them yourself for $50 more.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    Another perspective: GB auctions extend the 'end time' if a bid is place within the last 15 minutes. I always wait until the end of the auction period to place a bid. Now, (think about this) a whole lot of people have to work to feed themselves and, if your auction ending time was on a typical work day (M-F) and during normal business hours (don't forget the USofA has 4 time zones (excepting HI)) it is quite possible the individual could not get to a computer (or other device) to place a last minute bid. Make sense?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    Another perspective: GB auctions extend the 'end time' if a bid is place within the last 15 minutes. I always wait until the end of the auction period to place a bid. Now, (think about this) a whole lot of people have to work to feed themselves and, if your auction ending time was on a typical work day (M-F) and during normal business hours (don't forget the USofA has 4 time zones (excepting HI)) it is quite possible the individual could not get to a computer (or other device) to place a last minute bid. Make sense?
    that is not a problem because you can bid high and they only take the next increment bid amount
    eventually you may reach you high bid amount but if you set your max for that item you probably
    weren't going to pay more than your max bid anyway
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast