Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hows my powder selection ?

Hows my powder selection ?

OK so first of big thanks to everyone who gave me advice on powders for casting a while back. Finally got what I rhombus a good start for casting the filling calibers.
    .22 hornet
    .223/5.56
    7.62x39
    7.62x54R
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full-34110-64772-img_20201014_132907.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	269787

This seem like a decent start? Wanted to add some unique and red dot but they where out of stock till I got my order shipped lol

Boolit Master
    Yep.

Once you do some load development you can probably narrow it down to a couple that will do well in several calibers. Then buy it in bulk

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Get your hands on some benchmark for 223. Its my goto powder.

It's a good start, I would have had a coronary if I got that low, but looking at your avatar, I'm guessing I have hairs on my chin older than your father....

The view of the world is different depending on the ratio of gray/non gray in the world. The paranoia about not running out before your daughter has to sell off the old dead guy stuff makes you stock up a little more than young guys. Plus old guys wallets are usually a little thicker, house paid, no more college tuition, less out and about money required. It makes it a little easier to stock up.

You are getting started at exactly the wrong time. a year ago the shelves were cracking from the overload of unsold reloading components because no one believed that it would ever be anything different. "When I need it I'll just go get another widget of powder/primers/bullets".

Hopefully it will straighten out in the next year, but I suspect it will take every bit that long.

I'm just glad I stocked up when I did, already getting requests for stuff from young guys that I started reloading in the last year. Tried to talk them into building up some inventory. They didn't listen.

"Please, please do you have any spare SR primers?"

Some of my primers from Michigan are going to end up loading 300 Blackout in Texas. (daughter's best friend's husband)

I suspect they will stock a little deeper now.

Dang kids, anyway.

Boolit Grand Master
    IMHO, you have too many types. 9 powers for 4 calibers.

But I understand you need to start somewhere. After doing this for a few decades, I realized I only needed 5 powders to do it all.

I have 27 different powders that I have “played with”. But I “hoard” 5 powders that cover every caliber and gauge I shoot. But I am a KISS type of person. I do not care if I have the best powder for every load, but every load is acceptable and effective. 100 FPS, or a group 15% smaller has no relevance in practical shooting. It took me a long time to realize that.

There are people who will try four different powders to get a 1.25” load down to 1”. If you are like that, be prepared to have a couple of dozen powders on hand. Smartest plan is to keep shooting that 1.25 MOA load until you get sub MOA ....It will happen eventually. Then post it on the internet and put it in your wallet and brag about it. This is more common than you might believe. A deer at 300 yards will not care...just as dead

I plan on selling the other 22 powders I do not really need. It comes to 131 lbs of powder I can do without.
    Don Verna

I think you have too many varieties and not enough. I like powders that have a more broad application, 3031, unique, 231, bullseye, 4895,4064,760,748,2400. I like bout any powder if I can get it cheap, but to have a powder be versatile is great. If you add to that a powder that is forgiving, like 2400 vs H110, or 3031 vs H335, you can handle a broad range of situations.

When things were scarce a few years back I ended up with a couple pounds WSF. I'd never heard of it but the clerk said sure it'll work for all the pistol calibers...idiot. The only application I have for it is 45acp. I could try forever to get it to work for 38 and 44 special, but it ain't worth the trouble for two pounds that I'll probably not replace.

Banner Sponsor

Looks like you are off to a great start.
    When you find a powder that works well for you, buy it in bulk when you can.
    Alliant 2400 is a great cast bullet powder that can be used in a wide range of calibers.
    For the 7.62x39, I have pretty much settled on A1680. I tried some CFE-BLK but got huge velocity variations, sometimes as high as 300fps with the same powder charge that was weighed, not thrown.

Hi, my name is Glenn and I'm a hoarder...

All kidding aside, I load for a wide range of calibers, so I don't mind having a wide range of powders on hand. For the powders I use most often, I get in 8# jugs when I can find it.
    Last edited by lar45; 10-21-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Careful showing how much powder you have especially if you have a house fire. Some homeowners policies will not pay if you exceed local storage amounts. I believe that metal cabinet would be an issue but hopefully someone a lot more versed in the subject will chime in. I am just as guilty btw.

Banner Sponsor

You know that completely slipped my mind, but I believe that powder is supposed to be stored in a wooden cabinet. Time to build one I guess. My primers are stored in a different location. The Black Powder is stored elsewhere also.

I keep my stash under wraps as to how much. Reason being, uhm, while the amount of components and ammo has nothing to do with ones character, round here you're considered some kind of gun nut for the amount I have. What I have is by far nothing compared to others here. My buddy thinks because he has 3 bricks of 22s he's got a stockpile.

Still confused on what a rhombus of powder is.....

Don't ya just love autocorrect?

Banner Sponsor

Does anyone know if there is a suggested distance between primers and powder that is suggested for storage?

Boolit Master
    over here im limited by amount of ammo on my licence but no limit on components except powder . yep makes no sense but what rule does.