Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tips on using Lee Case Trimming system by hand?

Boolit Master
    medicine bottle caps are pretty close to the size you need .took a while to find the right size.

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    medicine bottle caps are pretty close to the size you need .took a while to find the right size.
    Bottle caps for collecting brass trimmings? That's a smart move. A peanut butter lid would work too.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee makes a three jaw chuck that goes in their Zip Spin unit. It also fits my drill motor. I've cut hundreds of 9mm to 9Mak with it, sizing the cases first so the Mak shaft will fit in the case. That combination is so far the fastest, easiest, and most accurate process I've used. A friend just made a 9.3x57 shaft I will use to cut 30-06 cases to 57mm to use in my drill press. We'll see how it works. I'll be picking it up Monday.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

I've used the Lee trimmers on and off for years. I use the stud that fits in a drill chuck and use my cordless drill. A couple of things that I do or that I have experienced that might help or deserve to be watched for are;

I use a plastic tub to catch shavings. Like the kind they used to issue you in the hospital. Or look in the kitchen isle in walmart.
    I have experienced the cutter getting dull faster than I thought that it should.
    I have experienced either or both the pin or the stud developing wear that affected the case length.
    I have experienced the case coming out of the shell holder. Some are worse than others. The older ones had aluminum shell holders.
    The ball thingy makes holding the cutter a little easier.

The bottom line is that they work ok and it has a cheap cost on the front end to get into trimming. About $12 or so for the first caliber gauge, cutter and lock stud. Then about $6 for additional calibers. I use them if I'm trimming less than a hundred cases. More than 100, I'm buying another cutter for my motorized Giraud trimmer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123