WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Questions on loading trailboss in my 45 colt new vaquero

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Questions on loading trailboss in my 45 colt new vaquero

I loaded up some trial boss loads and a lee 455 grain boolit in my new vaquero chambers in 45 colt last summer. I measured where my boolit would seat and then filled with powder and weighed. I backed down 70% which would have put me a approx 5 to 5.1 grains. I rounded up to 5.2 grains. I ended up seating the boolit longer to 1.650” but forgot to re adjust my load. I also have been using a cci 350 large magnum pistol primer instead of a large pistol primer because it was the only primer I had. I also put a hard roll crimp on my load. I have probably put a good 75 round through my pistol with this load and it’s a tac driver. If I up the load it shoots high. When I was loading the other day I re measured. It looks like I have close to a 10.2 grain case capacity so That means I am loading approx at 55% and using a magnum primer. Before I knew I was loading below the 70% capacity yesterday afternoon I chronographed my loads at the range in the morning. My chrony was acting up so I only had two readings of 567 and 588fps. I see in Hodgdon’s on line load data it shows a 250 grain cast boolit with minimum charge of 4.5 grains starting with a velocity of 606 FPS using a large pistol primer and seated at 1.600”.

I have had zero issues with my load showing pressure signs but I’m paranoid because it’s under 70%. It shoots ridiculously accurate as well. I called hodgen and was told I probably picked up another 100 FPS because of the magnum primer. I have shot the 5.2 grain load a good 75 plus rounds through my pistol prior to today. Every one goes bang, leaves the barrel, and groups all in one little hole. It’s a very accurate load. I would assume my load is safe to shoot being it’s close to the minimum hodgon velocity?

Boolit Master
    "I have had zero issues with my load showing pressure signs but I’m paranoid because it’s under 70%. It shoots ridiculously accurate as well. I called hodgen and was told I probably picked up another 100 FPS because of the magnum primer. I have shot the 5.2 grain load a good 75 plus rounds through my pistol prior to today. Every one goes bang, leaves the barrel, and groups all in one little hole. It’s a very accurate load. I would assume my load is safe to shoot being it’s close to the minimum hodgon velocity? "

And the question is what???? Seems like you answered your own question to me. Did Hodgdon seem concerned? If not I would have at it.

The only thing that Hodgdon questioned is they never tested the powder with magnum pistol primers because I was told it’s their fast is burning powder. Thanks, I’ll just keep shooting away. It’s my favorite pistol and load now! I just know there’s a lot of shooters and posters here that have way more experience than I do so I wanted to get some input. I haven’t loaded a lot for pistol calibers even though I’ve been reloading for the last two decades. Hodgdon’s load data is with a 7 1/4 inch barrel and my new vaquero is a four and three-quarter inch barrel. Thst tells me I am more than their minimum velocity load recommendation with my 255 grain boolit than their minimum with a 250 grain cast boolit. I just wanted to make sure I had enough velocity and no squibs. I haven’t had any squibs so like you said I already answered my own question but just looking for validation. Thanks.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-20-2020 at 10:24 AM.

I did pick up a brick of Federal Large pistol primers for $39.99 this morning for future loadings for new loads out of my new vaquero. There have been two bricks at my LGS of them for the last three weeks. I walked in this morning abd was going pass on them till sone kid walked up and grabbed a brick. I figured it was an omen to tell me to purchase the last one. I’ll keep the 5.2 grain TB load the way it is with the LMP primer.

I have to say that I am working thru an 8 lbs jug of TB in my guns. Of all I enjoy my 45 Colt the most loading just about your exact load.

Only difference being that I powder coat my Lee 255's and therefore use no lube with GREAT success. These TB loads are so fun and accurate that I never seem to have enough on hand when shooting them. I have shot these meek loads in my favorite 45 Colt ... a second gen Colt SAA, model 25-5's, Ruger Vaquero's, Ruger Redhawk, Ruger Blackhawk and my 1873 Winchester/Jap-chester with a 16 inch barrel. All are extremely fun and within 50 or 60 yards I would not hesitate to harvest deer and smaller game with that 255 grain flat point bumbling along slowly like a big ol Mack truck.

I also encourage you to continue loading and shooting these safe and very fun reloads.

I don’t use lube...

I have to say at just under 600 FPS my boolit will penetrate far enough into my dirt back stop that I get tired of digging for them after a foot to a foot and a half with no recovery. I was questioning how they would do on a deer under 50 yards at lower velocities. I can tell you at 25 yards I could eyeball one with the load. Most PCP 45 cal guns shoot 180 and 200 grain boolit about 75 FPS faster and Shoot deer with them out to 75 yards and further. I would assume my light load is more potent than a PCP air rifle. I’ve tried to load them with more powder but my POA climbs from dead center at 25 yards to approx 6” higher.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-20-2020 at 09:11 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I believe Hogdon’s 70% rule is simply so a double charge overflows the case, even allowing for your boolit.

Russ

I could double charge my current load at 5.2 grains so that would make sense.

Boolit Grand Master
    Plinking a deer through the lungs with a 600 fps cast bullet will result in killing the deer and losing it after a long tracking job....all with the same shot.

Going too low with ammo intended for hunting will not turn out well. Just saying.

Dont plan on deer hunting with the load but I was curious of lack of velocity and energy would do on a deer. I developed the load just for fun cowboy plinking and practice.

Banned
    use black horn 209 powder instead of trail boss, you will be much more happy with the results.