Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Drew Blood Yesterday

Drew Blood Yesterday

Nope... this should be here, instead of the hunting section!

Yesterday afternoon I was bench testing my 460 XVR hunting revolver, and got a good “stinger” on the left cheek just below the eyeglasses. Not certain as to what happened, other than, I got hit by a small piece of lead,or perhaps powder coat.....drawing blood!

Shooting powder coated cast, through the factory brake. A pretty thorough inspection didn’t show any lead or paint build-up in the brake. When rotating the cylinder many times, it seemed to index properly every time, and didn’t exhibit any excessive cylinder play.

The only thing that I can add of any importance to this incident is.....always wear your eye protection when shooting. In 51 years of revolver shooting, I‘ve never had this happen before....but, lately this has been my first extensive shooting with a “braked” handgun! There is always a first time occurrence for most things......don’t let it “put your eye out”! memtb

Years ago, I bought a brand new model 28 S&W. During the second trip to the range, I started feeling things hit me.
    Being a new shooter at the time, I didn't pay it much attention, until I looked down at my arm and saw some blood.
    The gun was shaving pieces of copper off the bullets as they were going through the forcing cone.
    I sent it back to S&W and they fixed it.
    Not certain what they did. I think they made the forcing cone larger. Anyway, it never did it again.

I wish that the cause was clearly evident.....it would help cure the ill. Assuming, it wasn’t just some fluke! memtb

Boolit Master

Paper or steel target? I've been lit up with, something, coming back at me on steel targets, but we where also shoulder to shoulder transitioning between our M4s and M9s. I've seen a few videos where ricochets have come directly back, this one from a 50 bmg.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Mold
    Many years ago I had a cap blow off of a sidelock muzzle loader and stick right below my right eye. Not only did it imbed itself in my face, it was hot - hot -hot. I was wearing glasses and it would have missed my eye anyway, but without eye protection and if that thing had been an inch higher I don't want to think about what the outcome would have been. Lesson learned - always wear eye protection.

Hector

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I shot my young American 32 manufacturered in 1905 two years ago with primer shrapnel in my cheek just below my eye...in two spots. The pistol pierces primers every time. I didn’t realize I had shrapnel buried in my cheek it in two places. The other piece worked itself out a month later. Missed my eye by an inch. Wasn’t wearing eye protection. I do now.

Twice Ive had some shrapnel in my face. Once from a Taurus 357 revolver that the timing was off on. Not my gun. But that one got me with a chunk of lead in my left cheek. Just barely broke the skin so it didnt bleed much.

The one that hurt was from a .223 out of an AR15. I was shooting some steel case ammo that had the lacquer coating on it. It was a hot day and I had been working the rifle hard and set it on the bench in front of me for a minute with a round chambered. Picked it back up, fired, and that lacquer coated case pretty much glued itself into the chamber and didnt extract. The next round trying to feed got jammed up hard. I dropped the mag, locked the bolt open and in my haste to get the jammed up live round out I bumped the bolt release.

It released alright. Right onto the primer of the live round. Kaboom and "why does my face hurt?" Had a nice chunk of steel sticking out of my right cheek. That one bled a bit.

It got better because in my haste I knocked an unloaded pistol off of the front of the bench right as I put the rifle down. It slid down the gravel hill and into a patch of brush. Just so happened that most of that brush was poison ivy. Which, once again, I hastily went into to retrieve my pistol.

What a fun afternoon that was. I was only about 21 at the time and definitely tackled that situation wrong. At least Ive learned to take things a lot slower and safer now.