Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new rifle for ARA bencrest shooting range report.

I may be able to do a range day next week sometime. We are supposed to have a couple of 50 degree days. I can stand those.
    We'll see what happens.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Pity about the winter. I guess I'll just have to wait to hear more of your shooting expeditions with your rifle.

I on the other hand, am in summer and I am keen to get shooting and to get pointers from you folks.
    Get some wind flags and learn to read them.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Get some wind flags and learn to read them.

Tim
    Aah but now you're throwing me in at the deep end. I'm kinda daunted by the prospects of reading and compensating for the wind. Mmm .... but it's food for thought.

If I get lucky I might just get to into a position where I do need that skill. I suppose there is no reason why the range would object to personal wind flags down my lane. Even if all I do is observe the effects of the wind. The range is fairly sheltered from the wind though. I'll ask them about it this coming Sunday. I do intend to shoot 22 on the 100m range once I get my act together sufficiently.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I need to learn to read the wind as well. I am fairly certain the groups from my last session would be better if I knew how to deal with it.

Boolit Master
    Years back I was heavily into 22rf's. We had one shop that specialized in catering to High Power,Benchrest and 22 target shooting. So he stocked all sorts of high end 22 rf ammo. Fiocohhi,
    RWS, Federal,Eley and a few others. At the time I was shooting a Winchester 52B with a 20x Lyman super targetspot. One brand of Ely I used to use was their Benchrest gold. It sure cost enough. Shot some very small groups with it. Still have 3-50 round boxes so I was wondering do they still make it?. Starting to look at the Tika T1X 22's. anyone have one and does it shoot. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Good evening,

Those are really sweet rifles!!
    Mine absolutely loves SK pistol match.....50M bags front and rear 16 power scope and 10 shot groups are very small. Went out to 100M and it is easy to keep 1” 10 shot groups. The next best is Sellior & Beloit standard 22LR. The problem with it and most wax based 22LR
    (CCI SV is the worst) is the build up in the chamber. These CZ MTR have tight match chambers as tight as my Anschutz. I use a split rod with a patch to clean just the chamber after a 100 shots. Lots of wax lube comes out and the next rounds feed nice and easy. The SK pistol match is grease lubed....shoot all day and never have the same problem.

You bought an excellent rifle!!!

SK pistol match is an excellent ammo that brings a lot to the table for little $$$. Shot this target 12 years ago playing around with a pencil bbl'd cz lux that I re-worked the bolt on. The bolt work easily shrunk that rifles groups by +/- 40%.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The best thing you can do for any rifle you use to shoot br with is get a good front rest and a flat br plate installed on your br rifle.

I use a sinclair front rest
    https://www.bing.com/aclk?ld=e832XAn...ce339e8793c984

Use the rest to move the rifle using the same hold/pressure on the stock. That target pictured above is an excellent example of what happens when the rifle doesn't fit the front rest and the rifle is moved instead of the rest.

When the action screws are properly torqued that rifle will produce round groups. Too loose and you get horizontal stringing, too tight you get vertical stringing. The torque on the action screws was set correctly when that target pictured above was shot. I used the sinclair rest with a towel in it to hold the thin schnabel front end of that pencil bbl'd cz lux. The rifle had left to right movement on the top 2 targets and the lower targets had vertical stringing on the lower targets. This if from me moving the rifle/rear bag to setup the lower targets and the rifle flat out didn't ride the front rest well.

Setting your torques on your action bolts and having a good rest & flat front on the stock will do more for your groups than anything else. Consistency ='s accuracy

How would you interpret this target?

25m open sights. I've done nothing to the rifle other than clean the bore and put a number of rounds through it. I don't expect to do better than the hole although I have done with another rifle. The ring pattern with a decent (to me) cluster seems at odds with poor aiming (which is a possibility but I would expect more randomness). Is that a rifle issue, ammo issue, hold issue, aiming issue or maybe barrel conditioning?

My apologies, tazman. Don't mean to hijack your thread. It's just that you folks are in a position to give me guidance.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 10-25-2020 at 05:52 PM.

How would you interpret this target?

25m open sights. I've done nothing to the rifle other than clean the bore and put a number of rounds through it. I don't expect to do better than the hole although I have done with another rifle. The ring pattern with a decent (to me) cluster seems at odds with poor aiming (which is a possibility but I would expect more randomness). Is that a rifle issue, ammo issue, hold issue, aiming issue or maybe barrel conditioning?

My apologies, tazman. Don't mean to hijack your thread. It's just that you folks are in a position to give me guidance.
    No problem. I would like to hear the answer to that question myself. Another chance to learn something.

Boolit Master
    Aah but now you're throwing me in at the deep end. I'm kinda daunted by the prospects of reading and compensating for the wind. Mmm .... but it's food for thought.

If I get lucky I might just get to into a position where I do need that skill. I suppose there is no reason why the range would object to personal wind flags down my lane. Even if all I do is observe the effects of the wind. The range is fairly sheltered from the wind though. I'll ask them about it this coming Sunday. I do intend to shoot 22 on the 100m range once I get my act together sufficiently.
    I am not sure an outdoor 100m range can be sheltered from the wind. A wind break on either side will just get you a swirling wind. Today was a calm day at the range and I had wind flags at 25, 50 and 75 yards. The flags were not still and often pointed in different directions. A 10 mph cross wind will cause more than three inches of windage at 100m. It only takes missing a change in the wind to turn a sub inch group into a disappointment.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy

Do you follow Buffalo Outdoors on YouTube? He just posted a video of that exact rifle. His is a shooter too.

https://youtu.be/VRqZFwQ_gFk

Remington subsonics are known for their lite/heavy loads hence the 2 holes/high low groups.

The 2 high shots look like you pulled the trigger with the bbl moving, having trouble lining up with the bottom of the target.

Typically shots to the left are from either poor alignment to the target or poor trigger control with a right handed shooter.

What you want to do is look at your target. Get your stance to the target, close your eyes and shoulder the rifle pointing at the target. Now open your eyes, where ever the rifle is pointing is your "natural" point of aim. You want your natural point of aim to be on target. If it isn't you'll have a lot of left/right shots from twisting your body to get on target.

Reading groups is more for a benched rifle along with a scope on it to get it dialed in/right & tight. Too many things are going on with shooting targets offhand with open sights. I shot this target years ago playing around on another website where they had a offhand game. Not my best shooting by any means, used a post front sight which is not the best choice for round targets. I just put the post at what appeared to be the center of the circle and pulled the trigger.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The game was to keep 20 shots inside the black circle (1.25"), 5 shots in each target. Anyway there are more side to side shots on my target due to the lack of a true aiming point/black bullseye too big. I could of used a 6 o-clock hold but coming up 1" @ 25yds to be in the center of the target with irons is a ton a adjustment on the rear sight (16 to 20 clicks). I should of switched out to a round front sight insert but it wasn't that important or hard to keep all the shots inside the black. When using round front sight inserts you want your round front sight aperture to be slightly bigger then the black of the target/thing light line around the round black.

If your eyes are old or having a hard time with post sights round aperture sights are the way to go. A circle (back sight) with a circle in it with even light around it (front sight) around a circle with even light around it (target).

Didn't matter if I used the 540x (fastest lock time of any remington) 40x, 52d, or the annies I always had full sets of sights for them when using iron sights along with adjustable rear iris sights. Different front sights for the 540x.
    [IMG][/IMG]

None of this has to do with br shooting other then use the right equipment for what you're trying to do. A good front rest is huge and move the rest not the rifle like they're doing in the video posted in this thread. A good scope, I use sightrons (like in the video posted in this thread). Get a case of quality ammo and practice/practice/practice.

It doesn't matter if it's cold outside, keep your ammo warm in a cooler with hot packs or if your range has a building. Use an electric heater with your ammo in front of it to keep warm & leave the firearm outside the whole time.

Thanks Forrest r

I have to confess mine were not off hand shots. My rest was poor I must say and my hold was not consistent. I was having difficulty seeing the target and sights properly in the prevailing light so a lot of variables. When shooting a scoped rifle I could see shots landing away from point of aim so I blamed the rifle/ammo. Next session I'm going to try a pin hole on my glasses to eliminate aiming error. And a better rest arrangement.

I have discovered that the actions were moving in the stock and have taken steps to eliminate that so we'll see what difference that makes. Also, some ammo shot better than others so I'm thinking it's not necessarily aiming error. I did weight sort the CCI sub-sonics and found the lower ends shot poorer.

I have never taken to focusing on the front sight. I focus on the target and let the rear sight focus the front blade. On a good day I can shift focus from front sight to target and it makes no difference to me other than eyestrain, providing I can see the target. I find a blurry target distracting and for me, difficult to aim at. I also never took to the six o clock hold aiming method. Nor do I shoot with both eyes open. I just do what works best for me and my eyes. Luckily my aiming eye still works pretty good but eye strain does get me at times.

Boolit Master
    You might try an eye blind on your non-sighting eye and an adjustable iris on your sighting eye to sharpen your sight picture and help with eye fatigue. When the light goes up, your shot goes up. Light down, shot down.

Sun up sights up really starts taking affect at 50yds or more with 22lr's. I never went any more than 3 clicks with any of my target rifles or 50m sport pistols. That's 3/8" difference max @ 50yd/50m.

When your rifles dialed in for the yardage your shooting it's always the front sight that counts. The rear sight on a rifle is there to tell you when the front sight is centered along with the front sight height/consistency of height.

I'm still very early days so I have a long ways to go. It's a pity I don't have a 50 yd range, just 25m and 100m.

You know, my Dad had these pin hole glasses for eyestrain when reading. That was when I was a kid. Well, one can still get them! I've just looked on the web.

Shooting glasses with isis's are the cat's meow. Varga pistol glasses and an offset lense & iris for a set of shooters choice shooting glasses for rifles.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Another option is to use a extremely small lens the focal point is a pinpoint to see clearly. This also lets a ton of light in reducing the affects of bright light/low light. A set of champion's choice shooting glasses with the small lens instead of the offset iris pictured above.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I took the CZ to the range again yesterday. Conditions were pretty good. Still shooting well but not what I would call outstanding.
    I finally got around to looking at the test target the factory sent with the rifle. A five shot group at 50 meters that was four in a small group and one flyer that made the group size 15mm. I am duplicating that group over and over.
    The four in a small group in the center with one shot about a half inch to one side. All shots would feel perfect.
    That flyer ruins a good group and a good score.
    I am going to get some better quality ammo(read that expensive) and see if that makes any difference.

Banned
    forrestr those glasses look nice. I have a clip on from my Bullseye days, but it's not practical for open sight rifles. Did you get them from Champion's Choice?

Ken

Many years ago I had a folding camera iris. I didn't know what to do with so I gave it to my brother who had it for many years but he had no use for it either. How handy that would be now. Of course it's long lost (unless my nephew has it).

Anyway, I got myself a pair of pin hole glasses. The pin holes are not as small as the pair my father had but they do focus the open sights if I align one of the holes. I shall give them a try next Sunday at the range.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast