Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subsonic plinker

Boolit Buddy

Subsonic plinker

Can anyone suggest a subsonic load for a 30/30 with the 165 ranch dog?

Also a subsonic load for a 357 mag 175 gr ranch dog?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    6.0 Grain American Select for 30-30 165 RD ( or 6.0 grains green dot)
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Normally small amounts of fast powders work best. Don’t forget about adding some type of filler to keep all the powder next to the primer. There is a fine line between subsonic and when the boolit is too slow and starts to tumble. Good luck! Let us know what you end up with.

Boolit Master
    6 grains of HP-38. No filler
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    6 grains of HP-38. No filler
    I know a lot of people feel that filler is not needed. Is the thinking that the primer is able to ignite the powder, even if it is all located behind the boolit?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
    Can anyone suggest a subsonic load for a 30/30 with the 165 ranch dog?

Thanks
    I have been loading the 300 Blackout for a while, now,
    That cartridge seems to have most subsonic load recommendations with 210 grain sized bullets,
    all the lighter ones seem to be loaded mostly supersonic,,,

(the 300 Blackout seems to be very popular with can owners, hence the desire for subsonic)

Could this be the situation with the 30/30? maybe a heavier bullet will make it easier to go subsonic,, ?

I love shooting subsonic at steel at 100 yards,, or more,,
    you can shoot the gun, and have enough time to remove your hearing protection,
    so that you get to hear the steel CLANG!!

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    No Need For Fillers I have been shooting "Low Node" for years All my rifles 223. 243, 30-30 6.5 arisaka 35 Rem, 358 win 8mm & a few more
    All are super accurate in "Low Node" shooting at 50 yards Use Flake Type powders ( American Select, Green Dot Red Dot and Unique ...no need for fillers) The only slight improvement in accuracy I have found with all is the use of Large pistol primers vs Large rifle primers
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    I use 10 grains of Unique with that boolit and it is superb!

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=31-165D-D.png
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

I also do not recommend the use of a filler or, in particular, any kind of a wad with loads using the faster pistol/shotgun powders. I've come to prefer Bullseye powder for such loads as it is a double base powder with high nitroglycerin content that ignites and burns efficiently. It is generally not powder position sensitive except when used in the most radical angled firing positions.

In the 30-30 with the 165 RD bullet I suggest they be cast very soft [20-1 alloy for example], GC'd and lightly lubed with LLA or BLL or similar lube. Start at 4.5 gr Bullseye and work up to 950 - 1000 fps as above that you will begin to hear "snapping" right in front of the suppressor. That is caused by the sonic crack only lasting a minuscule amount before the velocity drops subsonic. The "crack" is caused by the speed of the air moving around the bullet, not by the actual speed of the bullet. Thus a WFN bullet, like the RD, will cause a "crack" at a lower bullet velocity than a round nose o or spitzer shaped bullet of the same caliber.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you very everyone. I have neither a supressor nor chronograph. I just want lo recoil and less noise.

Same load for 357.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    If you stuff that 175gr bullet into a 38special case you can likely push it with about 3.4gr of titegroup. I’m away from my reloading data, but that’s what I recall for a subsonic 180gr pill. Please find a way to confirm before you start loading.

Boolit Buddy
    In 30-30 cases I use 5.6 grains of 700X was the most accurate at 50 yds using plain base or gas checked 150's or 170's. Book says 1000 fps give or take. I have also used Bullseye, red dot, and hp-38 but 700x was the best at those speeds.
    For a little faster load I used 7.0 grains of Green dot, just as accurate just a smidge louder. Either load is a no recoil load.
    No fillers or wads with these powders.
    I don't have a 357 so no help there.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
    Thank you very everyone. I have neither a supressor nor chronograph. I just want lo recoil and less noise.
    Perfectly understandable quest. I don't use the 165 RD bullet but do use a 170 gr (actually 178 gr when cast soft) 311041 over 6 gr Bullseye for 950 to 1050 fps out of my 30-30s depending on barrel length. Excellent small game load. However, I mostly use the Lee TL414-90-SWC sized .311 over 2.7 gr Bullseye which runs 815 fps out of my 20" M94. Very accurate and very quiet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I have a page out of a gun magazine from 60s that has many loads for popular CF rifles. All for gallery, small game, ect. I will root it out and post 30/30 stuff. I use one myself for 100gr 32/20 boolit sized for 30/30 and 308. Sounds like a 22 short.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried a similar project with my model 94. I was able to shoot good groups but my POI was way different (shot really low at all ranges with subsonic velocity) and not within the adjustment range of my sights. I recommend loading up A few and see where they impact before loading up a bunch of different test loads.

Thanks
    Mike

A very old .30-30 load for small game and plinking was the 3118 (now 311008) bullet meant for the .32-20. Sized .311 - .312, with 6 grains of Bullseye, seated only 3/16 into the case. This from a Dope Bag column pre WW2. Why I've remembered it beats me. I have used the bullet in .32-20 single shots, but never got around to trying it in a .30-30. Just passing it along.

The Lyman cast bullet manual listed several loads for that bullet in the .30-06.
    Cognitive Dissident

I load the Lee 170 with 5.0 grs TightGroup. I estimate it at +/- 990fps. +1.5" at 50 yds is zero at 75, and down about 3" at 100. Pretty much falling out of the sky after that. Here's some fun stuff to play with:
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Boolit Master
    I shoot the 311-165 NOE plan base out of a 30-30 Sears Chester with LG pistol primers & a charge of 8.7 gr of unique , it's not subsonic , but you don't need ear protection - it doesn't hurt to wear the ear muffs anyway .
    They drop like a lead rock at a 100 yards , but they are . 10.00 or so a hundred + your time = a lot of fun .

Boolit Master

Another vote for Bullseye in the 30-30 and .357 for subsonic loads. No filler needed as ballistics are very uniform.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast