Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pass Through?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    John,
    Now that the wood is dried out this rifle only weighs 8 lbs 4.5 OZ and it holds very well and once you learn how to navigate in the bush with these long barreled front stuffers the barrel length is not a problem.

I have no idea what the muzzle velocity is, I never worry about the speed of the ball I pay attention what the results are with the load and I stick with it so I know where to hold to hit what I want no matter what the distance is.
    I use 80 gr of 2F, Olde Eynsford mostly now that KIK is under and this load works very well in this rifle.
    A friend send me some Teflon patch juice once to try (yup I know ) It was a cold and breezy day so I leaned on a post so that long barrel wouldn't act like a wind vain and held off to the right to taste the wind and put 5 in the V. I wanted to get closer to the Botton with out cutting the line but I held for a group.
    Attachment 269755
    This rifle holds very well. Here is another 10 shot group at 50 yards shot on a better day.

Attachment 269756

I wish I would have had this rifle back in the late 50's and early 60's when we had some fun over the log shoots driving spikes through boards and splitting balls on hawks busting the two clay birds on it's side and cutting strings stay close to the bottom of the V without cutting the lines. Man those were fun days where 30 plus would come to those turkey shoots this time of year.
    Very nice shooting... wrt the longer barrels, I am 6’2” and have never had difficulty going through rough terrain so a 6’ rifle shouldn’t pose much of a problem. My 6’ longbows never did either, although they are much lighter in hand of course. WRT the original question, it seems difficult to generalize about these things to me. I’ve had close range pass throughs with the .54 on elk and long range balls stop under the skin. I once shot a muley buck quartering towards, nearly straight on in fact and the .50 ball stopped under the skin of his off hind quarter. I hit him right in the pocket at the base of his neck and the range was about 30 yards. Bullets that hit ribs or other bones behave differently than those that don’t. A bit harder alloy throws other factors into the mix. Etc, etc... the one expectation that holds up is that a whitetail or muley well hit with a round ball of .45 caliber and up is probably not long for this world and will soon be providing a tenderloin feast...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    John,
    Now that the wood is dried out this rifle only weighs 8 lbs 4.5 OZ and it holds very well and once you learn how to navigate in the bush with these long barreled front stuffers the barrel length is not a problem.

I have no idea what the muzzle velocity is, I never worry about the speed of the ball I pay attention what the results are with the load and I stick with it so I know where to hold to hit what I want no matter what the distance is.
    I use 80 gr of 2F, Olde Eynsford mostly now that KIK is under and this load works very well in this rifle.
    A friend send me some Teflon patch juice once to try (yup I know ) It was a cold and breezy day so I leaned on a post so that long barrel wouldn't act like a wind vain and held off to the right to taste the wind and put 5 in the V. I wanted to get closer to the Botton with out cutting the line but I held for a group.
    Attachment 269755
    This rifle holds very well. Here is another 10 shot group at 50 yards shot on a better day.

Attachment 269756

I wish I would have had this rifle back in the late 50's and early 60's when we had some fun over the log shoots driving spikes through boards and splitting balls on hawks busting the two clay birds on it's side and cutting strings stay close to the bottom of the V without cutting the lines. Man those were fun days where 30 plus would come to those turkey shoots this time of year.
    Can't argue with those results....I'd tote a long pole around the woods for results like that!!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    A ball traveling just under the speed needed for expansion of soft lead will penetrate further than the same ball traveling much, much faster and does expand quite well. The same goes for HPs compared to FMJ bullets.
    Exactly what I have found ,short range up to 80 yds pure lead mushrooms and after that slows less expansion and more penetration in my 50 and 54 cal using 80 grains OE 2F the variable being position of the animal and the shooter. It is not just my opinion ,lots of folks have had similar experience /Ned Roberts mentioned it/Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Woodnbow View Post
    Very nice shooting... wrt the longer barrels, I am 6’2” and have never had difficulty going through rough terrain so a 6’ rifle shouldn’t pose much of a problem. My 6’ longbows never did either, although they are much lighter in hand of course. WRT the original question, it seems difficult to generalize about these things to me. I’ve had close range pass throughs with the .54 on elk and long range balls stop under the skin. I once shot a muley buck quartering towards, nearly straight on in fact and the .50 ball stopped under the skin of his off hind quarter. I hit him right in the pocket at the base of his neck and the range was about 30 yards. Bullets that hit ribs or other bones behave differently than those that don’t. A bit harder alloy throws other factors into the mix. Etc, etc... the one expectation that holds up is that a whitetail or muley well hit with a round ball of .45 caliber and up is probably not long for this world and will soon be providing a tenderloin feast...
    that rifle is almost taller than me I used to be 5'10" but I seemed to have shrunk an inch. Maybe to many hard landings hanging on under that T-10 parachute to often.
    Yes that rifle is a fine shooter but I didn't shoot those holes off hand. I have to lean on a tree or post to be able to hold tight. I carry this fork in my belt hunting incase I don't have a tree of fencepost.
    Attachment 270060

Edward,

I think that's why the .45-70 will out penetrate a .458 Win Mag because the .45-70 is slower.

Boolit Master
    Another year skunked. Saw a few does trotting by, but no results, now I'm waiting for next season.

(major Ice storm here), I was outside the freezing line though, 5 solid days of a COLD! monsoon.

Still beat being at work.

Thanks guys,
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post
    Another year skunked. Saw a few does trotting by, but no results, now I'm waiting for next season.

(major Ice storm here), I was outside the freezing line though, 5 solid days of a COLD! monsoon.

Still beat being at work.

Thanks guys,
    Send that weather up my way. I was far too adapted to the cool weather now. The 75 degree days we have had this week have not made work fun.

same 80g FF load in my .54 renegade(.530 PRB) passes through broadside out to 90 yards. I can say from exp. Not every time mind you according to shot angle etc but I have gotten pass throughs at various distances out to 90.

Boolit Buddy
    I feel ya’. I was once 6’3”. I’m now just a bit shy of 6’2”. Darned gravity will win in the end...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12