Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pass Through?

Boolit Master

Pass Through?

Ok, so I've only been hunting muzzeloader for about 3 years, never harvested a deer as of yet and have a question.

I've only been playing with 174.4 gr (pure lead) PRB's, over 80 gr. of 2F in a .50 cal TC Hawken (shoots well for me) never chronographed it though

At a distance of say, 30 yards, should / would I expect a pass through on whitetail (assuming a well placed broadside impact)?

Thank you for your incites / experiences
    Bob

Yes. I made a 50 yard shot on a yearling doe last year with a 54 round ball and had a quartering pass through. This year I had a 60 yard shot on a 100 pound button buck the was a texas heart shot. Ball went through 3 feet of deer and only stopped under the shoulder blade on the opposite side. Broadside on a doe at 30 yards I would very much expect a pass through.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    Actually I doubt you’ll get a complete passthrough. Having talked with many, many people on the traditional muzzleloader forum back when I was getting interested seemed to show that a patched ball of average medium game caliber (.45-.54) would be shown to mushroom nasty and be found just under the hide out to about 75 yds, but after that point the ball has slowed enough (under 1100-1200 FPS) that the lead won’t expand unless it hits bone, and so it cuts a caliber sized hole and exits, and this all the way out to 125 yds at the least since not too many shoot beyond that with a patched ball.

I’ve yet to work on an accurate load now that the rifle has been broken in so I don’t have personal experience, and also understand that circumstances are all different, for one many of the people I spoke with likely shot bigger bodied northern bucks and even mulies as well in comparison. Not having experience myself but relying on the collective experience of others.
    Last edited by rodwha; 10-19-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Boolit Mold
    I used same .45 cal flint lock rifle for thirty years or so....and only ball that did not pass through were found under the hide on the off side on a couple angling shots. This with 60gr. or 70gr. of 3fffg.. Can't comment on long shots as never took any. most of my deer hunting was in heavy wooded area and river bottoms. At 30-40 yards your load will do nicely.

Boolit Grand Master

My only experience is with 54 caliber. The only one caught so far was a really steep angle shot, that ended passing at least 24", through the offside front leg bone, and barely caught by the skin. Everything else has been a passthrough, with impressive expansion to boot. I would not expect less from 50 caliber.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm with megasupermagnum on this one. Have taken several deer with a .490 + .495 RB. Most pass through leaving a nasty exit wound. Physics would agree that a long shot (ie: slower impact speed) would have a lesser penetration.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I'm with megasupermagnum on this one. Have taken several deer with a .490 + .495 RB. Most pass through leaving a nasty exit wound. Physics would agree that a long shot (ie: slower impact speed) would have a lesser penetration.
    A ball traveling just under the speed needed for expansion of soft lead will penetrate further than the same ball traveling much, much faster and does expand quite well. The same goes for HPs compared to FMJ bullets.

Here is a ball that hit a Buffalo close to 100 yards that went through bone and the hide caught it on the far side.
    A Bison is tougher than a Deer. I( mostly use a .54 and a .58 caliber and I have never recovered a ball and I had one go through both shoulder blades and spine on one very large 238# field dressed buck.
    Do your job and they will go down using a round ball.
    Attachment 269736Attachment 269735

Boolit Master
    Almost certainly with your load. I have only had 1 not exit out of 20 or more deer. Mostly I used 45 with 60 gr fffg for about 6, the rest were a 50 with 65 gr fffg, those all exited. 15 to 60 yard shots. The 1 that did not was a 90 gr load of fffg at 30 yards. Went thru the near shoulder blade, broke a couple ribs, found it looking like a half dollar amount the shattered ball joint on the far side. Went back to the 65 gr load, didn’t kill him any deader, and I had some bloodshot meat. All were swaged balls, the 50s from 31 to 38 inch barrels. The 45s from a Senaca, 28 I believe.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    The last 3-4 deer I've shot had pass through with that exact load ; )
    H/D

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    A ball traveling just under the speed needed for expansion of soft lead will penetrate further than the same ball traveling much, much faster and does expand quite well. The same goes for HPs compared to FMJ bullets.
    I would tend to agree with you, however, I have not tested this myself. I would think an unexpanded ball at assumed 800-1000 fps would penetrate more than one that does expand, even at 1400+ fps. That's not the point though, the point is that just about everyone that has used these gets complete pass through shots on deer size animals, even when they expand. As Lead pot has shown, it takes a 2000 pound buffalo to stop one of these inside. A 250 pound whitetail is not a tough animal. On the high angle shots that can stop the ball, the deer is so disabled that it doesn't go far. In my case, it hobbled/rolled down a small hill about 30-40 yards, and that was it.

Now I do know what you are talking about on these traditional muzzleloader forums. There is this theory that rifles were sized so that the ball stayed in the animal, and could then be re melted and used again. This being an attempt to explain the rise of the 40 and 45 caliber rifles instead of the 62 and larger calibers, 50 and 54 were always common and historically correct. They might have a point in 40 and 45 caliber. They send a light ball (90 gr, and 128 grain) very fast, often 1800-2000 fps or faster at the muzzle. The smaller balls slow down faster too. My 54 caliber load leaves the muzzle about 1450 fps, and at 75 yards should be about 1000 fps. The 40 caliber, assuming 1900 fps MV, is about the same 1000 fps at 75 yards. 45 at the same 1900 fps MV is up to about 1080 fps at 75.

I don't know about the small calibers, but in actual practice, the 50/54 caliber range passes through deer on broadside shots most of the time.

Boolit Master
    There have been plenty of ball found within deer. It doesn’t require a heavy animal to stop them.

Here is my Deer rifle. It's a Southern Mountain fur trait rifle it has a 44" .54 caliber swamped Rice barrel. I use a Ball cast at 1/30 T/L alloy and I never recovered a single ball in a deer yet. It's a fine and fast ignition that I seldom hear the cock hit the frizzen.
    You don't need expansion of the ball with these large calibers. They ventilate the boiler room just fine and you can eat right to the hole.

Attachment 269740

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    Here is my Deer rifle. It's a Southern Mountain fur trait rifle it has a 44" .54 caliber swamped Rice barrel. I use a Ball cast at 1/30 T/L alloy and I never recovered a single ball in a deer yet. It's a fine and fast ignition that I seldom hear the cock hit the frizzen.
    You don't need expansion of the ball with these large calibers. They ventilate the boiler room just fine and you can eat right to the hole.

Attachment 269740
    44" barrel?! What is muzzle velocity on that guy? That's like carrying a flagpole through the woods

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I like wheel weight balls for the extra penetration.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    My gun that shot round balls got deer easily even to one hundred and fifty yards. When I started shooting slugs or lead bullets in my muzzleloader they would pass through with easy and tear up a hill behind the deer. Sorry for the grammar. Don’t know how to correct it on this new stupid computer. Wish it was alive so I could brain it a good one.

John,
    Now that the wood is dried out this rifle only weighs 8 lbs 4.5 OZ and it holds very well and once you learn how to navigate in the bush with these long barreled front stuffers the barrel length is not a problem.

I have no idea what the muzzle velocity is, I never worry about the speed of the ball I pay attention what the results are with the load and I stick with it so I know where to hold to hit what I want no matter what the distance is.
    I use 80 gr of 2F, Olde Eynsford mostly now that KIK is under and this load works very well in this rifle.
    A friend send me some Teflon patch juice once to try (yup I know ) It was a cold and breezy day so I leaned on a post so that long barrel wouldn't act like a wind vain and held off to the right to taste the wind and put 5 in the V. I wanted to get closer to the Botton with out cutting the line but I held for a group.
    Attachment 269755
    This rifle holds very well. Here is another 10 shot group at 50 yards shot on a better day.

Attachment 269756

I wish I would have had this rifle back in the late 50's and early 60's when we had some fun over the log shoots driving spikes through boards and splitting balls on hawks busting the two clay birds on it's side and cutting strings stay close to the bottom of the V without cutting the lines. Man those were fun days where 30 plus would come to those turkey shoots this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I like wheel weight balls for the extra penetration.
    I do too, but I mix it 50/50. but for the turkey shoots I use pure lead.

I've killed plenty of deer mostly with the .45 and the .50, but also the .54 and .62. Expansion and penetration, assuming soft lead, depends on velocity (hence distance from the deer) and where it is hit. I've killed deer at 100 yards (+ and -) and at just a few feet. The deer hit at those longer distances invariably were pass-throughs. Closer, say 60 yards and under, mostly were found flattened under the off-side skin. But the distance for these effects is not carved in stone. I've also had up-close-deer succumb to expanded prb passing completely through. I've recovered a few flattened ball; and bone hits can flatten low velocity prb. Penetration is not an issue for deer. Lead prb does what it's supposed to do; either expand and not exit or pass all the way through. This photo is of some .45 and .50 recovered ball.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I used a 50 cal round ball with 80 grs of goex 3f for many years back in the 70's and 80's. Shot a lot of mule deer and antelope at ranges out to 100 yards, never recovered a ball. Most of them either dropped at the shot or went 50 yards or less.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast