Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Getting started with contender

Boolit Master

Getting started with contender

I have decided to get a T/C single shot rifle. I am interested in .223, 357 Max and 30-30. Do I want a blued or stainless action? Blued or stainless barrels? I assume that the G-2 contender is plenty strong for the calibers I am interested in. Or do I need to look at Encores?

T/C sells a 30-30 rifle in blue with walnut stock for around $700. Is this a good way to get your feet wet in T/C?

Who are preferred vendors? Is Eds TC good to deal with?

Thanks for your attention.

Boolit Master
    I have been out of the “shopping” part of Contenders for a couple decades so can’t help with that aspect. The original Contender is fine with those rounds, the Encore came to being because the market wanted to put 308 Winchester and up in the TC. I have enjoyed Contenders since 1976, will be hunting with my 30 Herrett this year. I bought an Encore about 10 years ago, kept it less than 6 months, too big and heavy for what I want. If I wasn’t content at 30-30 level it might be different, but probably not. My 308 is a Kimber Classic. As far as stainless or blue, up to you, just appearence really. I have never fired a G2 so my comments are based on the original 1976 vintage frames. Grab one and embrace the addiction.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I’ve owned three Contenders in various calibers and shot competition with all three of them shooting IHMSA Silhouette. They were fine single shot handguns. About ten years ago I got a couple of Encores (one dedicated ML) and one with several different rifle cartridge barrels. I don’t know why everyone keeps referring to the “weight” of the Encore. For a rifle, it’s a pretty light weight gun. I shoot a lot of .223 and .357max out of the Encore and comparing the Encore to the Contender in a rifle format isn’t any comparison at all. The Encore wins hands down. Both the .223 and the .357max will easily keep five shots under an inch at 100 yards. My 30-30 barrel does nearly as well. You can mix and match blue and stainless parts with no restrictions to fit or function.

Boolit Master
    For the cartridges you listed, the 357 Max and 30-30 are regarded as good choices in a G2 Contender carbine / rifle.

The 357 Max is for reloaders only and barrels will be harder to find. Starline has brass. Since you mentioned the Max, I assume you know this and reload. Do not expect a 357 Max to shoot 38s or 357 magnums accurately. Some do, but none of mine did. Standard reloading dies for the Max are 38/357 carbide dies making reloading easier than reloading 30-30.

The 30-30 is much easier to get ammo for (in a pinch) and may have a better resale value. Starting out with a 30-30 is a fine choice. For reloaders, it still allows for lots of flexibility including light bullet plinking loads up to effective deer hunting ammo.

For hunting, the 357 max is the only choice in "straight wall" deer hunting states (of the three rounds you listed), but does not beat the 30-30 where the 30-30 is allowed.

The 223 has a place, but it is a much less flexible round than the other two. A bolt action would be more cost effective for most "sporting" uses of a 223.

Now for a discussion of rifle vs pistol. The following is my best understanding.

If you buy a new pistol, you can swap to rifle and back.

If you buy a new blank frame, and build it as a pistol first, you can then swap back & forth.

If you buy a new complete rifle, a barrel under 16" should never be mounted on the frame without NFA paperwork.

If you buy a used blank frame that was originally a pistol or even a used "now rifle" that was originally a pistol, swapping back and forth is ok.

Also, never put a barrel less than 16" on a gun with a rifle stock unless you do the NFA paperwork. If you get rid of all of your rifle barrels, do not keep a frame and rifle stock in your possession.

This is confusing and messy, but it is what it is. This makes a frame initially bought as a rifle "less flexible" and of lower value on the resale market (when everyone is playing by the rules). Documentation to support any of the above can be a challenge. If you buy something, keep copies of any documentation for future use.

Boolit Master
    I believe that for the Contender, and only for such firearms, the issue of how it was first built is no longer an issue as a result of the supreme court ruling. You may buy a carbine and convert to a pistol, you just can’t ever actually create an untaxed SBR by mounting a shoulder stock and barrel that is less than 16”.

The distinction still applies for other guns, so if you purchase an AR-15 rifle, you can’t convert it to a pistol, but if you purchase a pistol you can convert it to a rifle and back so long as you never make an SBR.

Moderator Emeritus

I have no problems with pintos so I would buy a new G2 frame and get whatever bbls you can find to fit it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I believe that for the Contender, and only for such firearms, the issue of how it was first built is no longer an issue as a result of the supreme court ruling. You may buy a carbine and convert to a pistol, you just can’t ever actually create an untaxed SBR by mounting a shoulder stock and barrel that is less than 16”.
    I looked for info along those lines and could not find it. There was a court ruling about a Contender Kit that components for both. It is my understanding that the ruling on the kit only applied to the kit and not to guns sold as rifles.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    I looked for info along those lines and could not find it. There was a court ruling about a Contender Kit that components for both. It is my understanding that the ruling on the kit only applied to the kit and not to guns sold as rifles.
    My recollection is that BATF sent a letter after that ruling, but it’s possible that I’m mistaken.

Disclaimer - I'm not a lawyer so the following statements don't constitute legal advise, just the information I have gathered over the last 41 years of owning and shooting Contenders configured as both rifles and pistols.

I much prefer the original Contender to the G2, I have a couple of Encores too but for the rounds you mention the Contender will be fine. If you do decide to go with the original Contender, it is my understanding that they were all produced originally as pistol frames. As mentioned above the court ruling only applied to the original carbine kit and not to the later production G2, if the G2 was produced as a rifle they can't be legally converted to a pistol. Is there any way to tell which is which, only by serial number so I suppose a guy could probably get away with it for years but why take the chance? Just get a pistol frame to begin with and then you can do whatever you like as long as you don't assemble with a shoulder stock and a barrel less than 16" long. I bought my first Contender in 1979 on my 21st. birthday, a 10" octagon barreled .30-30, shortly there after I killed my first handgun deer and have been hooked ever since. These guns can start you down a pretty slippery slope but I really enjoy them.

Boolit Master

I have no interest in a T/C pistol, so all this will not affect me. Has anyone bought from EdsTC?

Boolit Master

Be careful, they tend to multiply, just one more barrel!

Boolit Bub
    I've bought and traded several TC barrels from Eds TC over the years and have always been favorably impressed with his character, fairness and honesty. I would not hesitate to do business with him again.
    Welcome to the world of TC's!

I have dealt with Ed's TC and always had good transactions and fair prices.

Boolit Master

Over the years, I've bought and sold many of the original Contenders. Always was fascinated with them. So much of a mix and match type of platform. Right now, down to 3 carbines, a 357 Herrett, .223, and a 30/30, as well as a 14 inch Super 14 in 357 Herrett. The 30/30 is my favorite deer rifle in that it is light and small, easy to maneuver in the brush or box blind. All shoot cast boolits really well. I've shot quite a few with it, longest was a doe at 130 yds. Cast boolit, 150 grain RF, GC, went in the left front of shoulder, turned, and ended up exiting the right rump. Didn't get into anything other than lungs and liver. She ran 10 yds. I checked the meat and bones thoroughly, (I do my own processing) never could figure out how it did that. .223 was used by 2 young grandsons to take white tail. The. 357 Herrett ia a hog thumper. Shooting a 162 gr CB, GC, IIRC, at 2700+ fps, it will take the breath away from a 200 lb boar.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    For a lot of T/C info, check out bellmt/c.com. Mike Bellm does a lot of T/C work and his favorite cartridge is the 357 Max.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US