Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Made a new punch for lee sizing die

Boolit Mold

Made a new punch for lee sizing die

Wanted to try out some PB gas checks on the 30cal bullets I've been casting and coating.

Problem was, HP bullets, and the original ram, and even the top punch with the mold was deforming the thin lips of the nose when I attempted to put the checks on base first through my Lee sizer.

So... off to the lathe this morning and replicated the ram / punch that came with the sizer, and then center drilled and profiled it to match the nose of the bullet as much as I could.

After a bit of polishing and a few adjustments I think it works pretty well! No more deformed noses. Now to go see how they shoot and if the checks do any appreciable difference for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Io7vCWY.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	269688

Boolit Buddy
    Looks good, nice to have the tools needed to do that.

If you create as 2 parts the "shell holder" and rod and put a set screw than you can swap out punches for different bullet profiles. If you're careful you can make a snug fit without the set screw, the pressure is applied only one way. You can also make it threaded too, but that's a bit extra work. What are you using for PB gas checks? It doesn't look like soda can aluminum.

Boolit Mold
    These are the PB checks from Sage's. Figured I would try them out, though I am not sure I need them as I'm not pushing them all that hard. More of a "can I make this work" sorta test.

Interesting idea on swapping out tips, though after upgrading the lathe a few times, I can make this in an hour or so. I need to figure out how to make a real profile of the bullet as a D reamer so that I can truly support the whole thing equally, but with manual machines that will be a bit more work. (And could lead me down such foolishness as attempting to make my own molds...)

Many moons ago I bought a mini lathe in an attempt to learn machining and do some gunsmithing. Untold $$$ later I have a Bridgeport and a LeBlond, and really should figure out how to make money with them one of these days, cause that's a lot of machine for odd jobs.

Let me know when you start making top punches

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Banned
    Onyx, I do the same thing seating my gas checks, send the bullet butt first into the sizing die. Seems logical the pressure to size is keeping the check tight. I use Hornady checks, and I still wonder if during the crimping, if the check stays tight against the bullet base. I wish I could figure a way to hold the check tight, and crimp while the pressure is still on. Got an idea?

By the way, I center drill the punch, then put JB weld in the hole and seat a waxed bullet lightly onto it. Makes a perfect mating surface.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by B R Shooter View Post
    Onyx, I do the same thing seating my gas checks, send the bullet butt first into the sizing die. Seems logical the pressure to size is keeping the check tight. I use Hornady checks, and I still wonder if during the crimping, if the check stays tight against the bullet base. I wish I could figure a way to hold the check tight, and crimp while the pressure is still on. Got an idea?

By the way, I center drill the punch, then put JB weld in the hole and seat a waxed bullet lightly onto it. Makes a perfect mating surface.
    Good idea on the epoxy for profiling the bullet, may be my next attempt for better support.

As for holding a check on while crimping, I can only picture some overly complex top and bottom ram that hold a check on in compression while the whole thing travels through a sizing die. As inexperienced as I am with checks I don’t know if that would be worth the effort to make such a beast.

Banned
    some places sell flat top punches and people convert the profile using 2 part epoxy of hot melt glue.

I done several with hot melt glue and they still work well. nice thing about the glue is the profile only has to be close, the glue won't mar the Boolit nose

Quote Originally Posted by OnyxSkyDV View Post
    Good idea on the epoxy for profiling the bullet, may be my next attempt for better support.
    Using the epoxy method, I've made custom punches for every boolit I use checks on, and also made RCBS seater plugs the same way. A tip to ensure the boolit sits squarely into the epoxy is to face the boolit base on the lathe first to true it up. Then, I'll set the boolit on the bed of my mini mill and lower the chucked punch onto it and let the epoxy cure. Then just clean of the excess epoxy on the lathe.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OnyxSkyDV View Post

As for holding a check on while crimping, I can only picture some overly complex top and bottom ram that hold a check on in compression while the whole thing travels through a sizing die. As inexperienced as I am with checks I don’t know if that would be worth the effort to make such a beast.
    I have annealed some checks, making them softer, maybe they will crimp on without as much force. As best as I can tell, my mold and sprue plate cuts a clean base. But, crimp on a check, the check has a cup to it. If you look at a Hornady check, it has a dish in the base as they come. In my mind, when the check is installed, you should have a flat base, not concaved. I'll see if the annealed checks do better.

Doesn't Lee offer custom made seating die thingies customizable for a bullet you mail in?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Doesn't Lee offer custom made seating die thingies customizable for a bullet you mail in?
    Had no idea they did that, could be a useful option too!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    No customized sizing dies or top punches from Lee any more. It is a DIY mod or none
    Regards
    John

Onyx,grind a "form tool" for turning the reamers. This way you can make a cpl reamer blanks at the same time,varying diameters ever so slightly,whilst maintaining ogive #'s. There's always learning curve making a reamer, through heat treating and/or final grinding. Mighty nice to have several blanks.

And a "D"(single flute)isn't the only way.... try an "opposed" two flute. Good luck with your project.