RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best lee bullet for 9mm?

Moderator Emeritus

Lee 120 TC
    ...and hope you get a mold that will drop boolits that can be sized to .357

I've owned two different P89 rugers, they would cycle anything I feed it.

Also, regarding Lee's 125gr RF, that worked fine, but I had trouble with them "growing" over the course of a year or two and with this design, that can be troublesome, as they wouldn't chamber.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post

I have shot thousands of these Lee 358-125-RF in my 9mm’s with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What OAL are those?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

I have a Ruger P95, the later evolution of the P89, and my bore measures .357”. I was given thousands of Lee 124 grain RN TL cast bullets that measured .355 to .356 and they shot horribly. So, I learned to powder coat which gained me and additional .001” diameter. They shoot better than factory in my pistol. Size is everything.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    What OAL are those?
    OAL is 1.025

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A friends LC9 feed Lee’s TL125 RN just fine. So does my 92FS. We started out at 3.6 grains 700X and worked up to 3.9.

Just went to Titan Reloading and they had the Lee 120 TC 2 cav. in stock. Ordered and will hope to get some cast and PC next weekend. Have not found the 6 cav. anywhere. I guess this will do for now.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Is the rule of thumb still to size a thousands over what ever my barrel slugs at with 9mm just like any other standard rifle or pistol? I can’t believe how anything in 9mm is lacked way up on eBay right now. Molds and dies are ridiculously priced compared to six months ago. I will PC my boolits. I would assume 100% COWW will work just fine? I’ll add a little pewter for fill out. I have a die set and sone test boolits on their way to test. I will have to slug my barrel so I can order a lee sizer. They only one I have right now I honed out to .359.5”...I would assume to large if my barrel slugs to .357” as it seems a lot of members have posted their similar pistols slug to?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-24-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Banned
    Another vote for the 120 TC. I don't think there is a better "all-around" cast 9mm pistol bullet profile.

They generally drop from the mold a little heavier than 120 grains, depending on alloy and that is perfect. The Truncated Cone profile feeds and functions in just about any 9mm pistol and that bullet shoot well.

Banned
    As for groove diameter of a typical 9mm pistol - GOOD LUCK, I haven't seen a "typical" one yet! 9mm barrels seem to be all over the map.

Sizers between .356" and .358" (which is only 3 sizing dies) should get you in the game.

As for seating depth, I tend to seat 9mm bullets to achieve a fairly long OAL. The lube groove needs to be inside the case, the cartridge needs to fit in the magazine and feed from the magazine and the cartridge needs to chamber. Other than those criteria, I seat them fairly long and don't get too excited about OAL.

Your pistol will tell you what works.
    The 9mm Luger does not tolerate overly short OAL cartridges and the penalty for that violation is excessive pressure. SO if you're going to err, err on the side of too long and not too short.

I slugged my P85 tonight. My slug measured .355". So should I go .001 over like my rifles for best accuracy? I see lee makes sizers in .356,.357, and .358.

Boolit Master
    i use the LEE 356 120 TC; then the NOE 357 135 (?) round nose flat point; I'm working with LEE 358 105 SWC sized to 357; I'm trying 358 140 SWC and having issues because of so much body in some brass. the SWC have been compared to the venerable H&G #68 nose configuration. I'm using 5 and 6 cavity moulds. My guns are GLOCK model 17, 19, and 34 with KKM barrels

You gonna cast some boolits or whistle Dixie?

I think I'm the only one who hasn't had good experiences with Lee's 120 TC
    The mold for more linotype that I put, gave 355-356 boolits
    I didn't find, despite all the forum advice, a way to make it work on my Glock.
    I switched to a 135 grain MP and everything was better ...

I can’t find a 120 TC mold...or not at a massively over inflated price. I ordered a 356 125 2R, 2 boolit lee mold off Amazon a couple minutes ago for $21.99 with free shipping! Couldn’t pass it up for that. I’ll have to buy or find a sizer for them next. Dies are on the way as well. Any suggestions on what size to size my boolits with a .355” bore for best accuracy and no leading? I’ll be PCing them.

I’m guessing 100% straight COWW plus a little pewter for mold fill will work just fine?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-27-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Titan Reloading has the DC 120-TC in stock. I have one ordered and can send some to you to try once I get it and get some cast.

Darn it, I didn’t read the lee 125 2r isn’t available till dec 31st that I bought on Amazon. Oh well...at least it will get to me eventually.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-27-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a S&W Shield EZ 9 a while back. A quick glance down the barrel I couldn't tell there was a throat to speak of. I shot a PM to Douguy about throating the barrel. In the mean time I upset a hollow sinker in the throat area and low and behold there was a nice throat that started at .358 and smoothly tapered to groove diameter. I size bullets to .3576 and life is great. You might want to slug the throat before you order a sizer or maybe be prepared to hone it out to the desired size.
    Last edited by cupajoe; 10-31-2020 at 08:15 AM.

HAY HAY!!! Midway USA just emailed me a few second ago and said the 120 TC mold was in stock for $21.99! I clicked on the link and it said one left. Shipping and tax took me to $29.63. It still says only one left...even after I purchased it. So I think they are trying to get some sales. I will keep the round nose 125 2R mold on back order from Amazon. Midway said they had two of the 125 R2 round nose molds on stock as well. So they must a received a real small shipment.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    What OAL are those?
    It makes me happy to hear that these will work in 9mm. I just picked up this mold to shoot them in my .357 lever gun. I may try them in 9mm too.

I just picked up a pound of HS-6. Figured I can use it with the 120-TC and 125 2R boolit a kind member sent me and I can use the powder for level 2 performance in my 45 Colt NV.

Got my TC 120 mold today from Midway! To bad they did their normal pee poor economy packing when shipping as usual and put my mold in a bubble bag. Mold is alright but the lee box it came in is destroyed
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-04-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast