PBcastcoWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Low velocity 350 Legend

Low velocity 350 Legend

I ordered an American Ranch Rifle in 350L. I would like to make this a dedicated cast bullet rifle to be used for target (50-100 yards) and game ranging from rabbits to something as large as a beaver. A few questions for those who have fooled with this cartridge:

- I was thinking of trying Accurate 36-180LG, but I really want a plain base mold as I plan to powder coat and won't be pushing these too hard. Any suggestions on a plain base mold? Would a 9MM mold like a truncated cone work?
    - What do you guys size these bullets to? Will I need to slug the barrel in order to know?
    - I would like to stick with a powder I have and have lots of rather than trying to find something specific. I am only looking for an accurate, low pressure load doing 1200 to 1600 FPS so I am wondering if I can get away with using trail boss, unique or 2400. Anyone tried these powders?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like your thinking.

I have wanted a bolt action .357 Mag but the Ruger 77 was expensive and did not shoot very accurately.

I shot my buddy's .350 Savage Axis and it was holding 2 MOA with factory loads and that seems promising.

I like the concept of a "plinker"/small game bolt action in .35 cal using straight wall cases that I can load on a progressive without a lot of fanfare. My concern with the .350 is case stretch but that should be minimal with low pressure loads. No different than 9mm I assume?

A 158-180 gr bullet at 1200-1600 fps would be about right for my needs. I would prefer a "cheap" powder charge using low charges of Unique or maybe Green Dot. Will be following to see what others have tried.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I like the concept of a "plinker"/small game bolt action in .35 cal using straight wall cases that I can load on a progressive without a lot of fanfare. My concern with the .350 is case stretch but that should be minimal with low pressure loads. No different than 9mm I assume?
    No idea, but I will likely be trying to get to an accurate load with the lowest powder charge. I don't need high velocities for this (have an upper in the same cartridge that is good to 200 yards with full house factory loads and big game), so as soon as the ladder test yields a good load I will stop climbing higher. Did the same with the lee soup can bullet in 30-06 and that is fun to shoot, but having to re-sight in with elk loads after plinking is tiresome.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looking forward to your results. Biggest thing I might use it on are coyotes at 125 yards.

I do not need it for deer as I am not in a cartridge restricted zone.
    Don Verna

Banned

Order it as a plain base. Tom will make whatever you ask. Just email him.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Yep - I've ordered many molds without lube groves or with a gas check, etc. Tom is awesome.
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Great, just emailed him.

Boolit Master
    Yep tom will fix you up for what ever your need is.I belive the factory 350L are around the .356 dia bullet.from what i have read.might want to wait on the dia till you get the rifle to be sure you get what you want for the PC.i will be watching this one to

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Did the same with the lee soup can bullet in 30-06 and that is fun to shoot, but having to re-sight in with elk loads after plinking is tiresome.
    For my 30-06 small game loads, I use the bottom of the duplex cross hair as an aiming point.
    I put up a target at 25 yards, then increased the powder charge until the groups walked up the target to the bullseye.

Boolit Master

Lightest Cast I have tried is the LEE 358/158 and it shoots well enough. Ooh I have a custom 130g I also tried but only a handfull.

The 180's are my fav. I like a Saeco 396 bullet and 4227 @ about 1700fps. Shoots touching @50 yards.

Im having most fun with subs and Herco powder. Shooting my 270g cast bullet. Its "accuracy" stable. Meaning tail wag seen in bullet holes but shooting nice groups. A Saeco 352 is up now and also shooting well but not as sub. @ 1350 ish with cloverleafing with 10g Herco.

Both of these would be nice load. Easy on ears and nearly non existent recoil.

No these wont cycle My ar.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

The Accurate 36-180 is now in the catalog plain base as 36-180L. I ordered one.

Boolit Master

I totally forgot!! The LEE RL 359-190 RD is a great shooter!! The Ranchdog is also a suprisingly good feeder!!

Would make a excellent choice as a hunting bullet WAPECIALLY if ya taylored hardness for the velocity.

CW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I like your thinking.

I have wanted a bolt action .357 Mag but the Ruger 77 was expensive and did not shoot very accurately.

I shot my buddy's .350 Savage Axis and it was holding 2 MOA with factory loads and that seems promising.

A 158-180 gr bullet at 1200-1600 fps would be about right for my needs. I would prefer a "cheap" powder charge using low charges of Unique or maybe Green Dot. Will be following to see what others have tried.
    My thoughts as well. Anyone had good luck luck with 158-200 gr plainbased boolits in the 1500-1600 fps range using faster powders (Unique, Herco)? How is headspacing holding up after 5-10+ reloads?

Boolit Master
    Im in on this one. I have a brandy new Ruger American Go Wild that has been sitting around for a while now. I love it. Going to start playing around with it soon. I had the same Idea. A great plinker. Just wish I could have a can here in NY. But you will hear that a lot from me.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

1&0g NOE W/Blue dot @ 1500 fps one ragged hole @ 50 yards.

Boolit Bub
    I shoot acme 145 grain hi-teck coated bullets with 16 grains of 2400. They produce one hole groups at 50 yards. Very affordable as well!
    Last edited by gunfan2; 01-30-2022 at 12:11 AM. Reason: mispoke