Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: PU scope mounts and modern 1-6 optics

PU scope mounts and modern 1-6 optics

So kinda a two fold question.
    1. Has anyone tried using any of the new 1-4 or 1-6 power scope (the compact ones that are basically straight tubed ) in a mosin PU mount
    2.has anyone mounted a PU mount on an SKS? If so how hard was it?

Boolit Master
    I use the open sights on my SKS, so I can't make any recommendations about the scope. I have read that it's less than ideal to attach a scope mount to the dust cover on a SKS (the part that looks like the receiver, but actually isn't). The dust cover isn't rigidly concentric with the bore axis so the scope zero can wander. Some sort of "scout scope" that mounts in the area of the rear sight might be better. For a standard scope, I think that they may also make a side mount that attaches to the receiver below the dust cover, but haven't researched it. The rifle that I have will shoot a 2.5" group at 100 yards off the bench with handloads (on a good day), which I consider the Holy Grail of accuracy for a rifle of this kind. The typical accuracy for an SKS is usually much less, so adding more than a 4x scope might be counter productive.

Boolit Master
    I tried a leapers mount which is somewhat similar to the PU mount except it has 4 set screws to clamp the mount to the receiver. Off to the range. kept getting two distinct groupings. Those set screws mentioned??, well turns out they were soft and after being clamped to the receiver started mushrooing so didn't hold the mount to the receiver. Next time I'll just get the top receiver cover that has the picatinny rail pre-mounted on the top. The screws had a hollow space where it contacted the receiver and when I took it off that hollow space was flat. Retigtened a couple times so maybe cup point screws would have worked better. But no markings were left on the receiver where the 4 screws were. Frank

Boolit Master
    I have had scope mounts that had a gap between the base and the receiver.
    To fix that issue and make a tighter fitting base,
    I would Glass bed the base to the receiver.
    I used J B Weld on most of them.
    Others I used colored bedding compound.
    With putting the release agent, (Johnson's Past Wax) on the receiver only , the base was removable , and fit the receiver perfectly.
    When removed and reinstalled , the base went back on perfectly and had less chance of loosening up

A I am not a big fan of most Mosin scope mounts. So I have yet to scope mine. And I really dislike most scout type mounts I've seen that mount on the rear sight dovetail.

B I did find a second dust cover that fit tight, had a gunsmith drill tap and install a short piece of rail on it.

I mounted a Truglo 2x Red Dot sight on it.

For my eyes it is more accurate than I was with iron sights at 50 yards.
    But I do think it is important to accept that you are never going to get exceptional accuracy from a dust cover mount.

Utility yes, tennis ball groups at 50 yards no sweat. MOA at 100 no.

If you must scope a Mosin I'd go with a side plate mount drilled and tapped (bend bolt handle) so it can be removed if you choose.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master

I have. Its far superior to the promag mount. I machined the back flat to fit better. The stock had to be relieved, give it lots of clearance or you will get kindling.
    Easy.
    Used a mosin scope.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Quote Originally Posted by leebuilder View Post
    I have. Its far superior to the promag mount. I machined the back flat to fit better. The stock had to be relieved, give it lots of clearance or you will get kindling.
    Easy.
    Used a mosin scope.
    Did you use a mosin mount with or with out the adjustment screw?

I'm not sure that you can remove a PU scope from the mount and replace it with a 1" tube scope; if it is anything similar to the scope my Romanian PSL had on it. I used a m94 Win side mount( KwikSite) to mount a scope on my brother's SKS by retrofitting the dust cover that had built in screw bosses. He liked it, I didnt. IMO the SKS (like the top eject Win94) is best with an aperture sight. Just my opinion, I've never liked side mounted or Scout mounted scopes. I realize that others do.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk