Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Po boy akro bin

Boolit Master

Po boy akro bin

So when I set up my new Lee APP I decided I needed a bin to catch brass.
    A bucket underneath didn’t work the greatest and was a pain when an unprocessed piece got thrown in with all the rest.
    So my trusty stand by got put to work, rectangular cottage cheese container.
    I prefer the 24oz, but keep the smaller 16oz around.
    A little tape and I had my catch container

The sad part is it took me a week to realize that I could use a second container as a removable bin.
    I didn’t even think of it until I was cleaning out the catch bin and spied another container on the bench.
    And all week I had been complaining to myself that I needed a real, removable type container.

I am slow at times.

Cheap, ugly and works decently enough for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    economical --- yes
    ugly --- no ( at least not to me) "Necessity is the mother of invention"

several of my innovations have been called ugly -- but the price is right and they do the job.

Boolit Master
    Akro bins are nice, but for processing lots of brass or boolits any container that's big enough sitting on a stool under the chute does it for me.

I do use an Akro bin on my progressive press. It holds about 200 rounds, which is a convenient point after two primer tubes worth to stop, inspect, delube the case exteriors and then put them into final storage, and, being press mounted, it doesn't hog bench or floor space.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Akro bins are nice, but for processing lots of brass or boolits any container that's big enough sitting on a stool under the chute does it for me.
    The issue was the Lee APP isn’t perfect and has a bad habit of flinging unprocessed brass out.
    Bad enough trying to find it in a small container or just reprocessing the small batch (44rds max for 223 with full 4 tube feeder).

Having a unprocessed case flung into a bucket with hundreds of processed cases wasn’t fun.

With better adjustments and more experience it doesn’t happen as much, but still can on occasion.

Plus the smaller bins fit my current needs better. I am running small batches trying out new setups and revamping my bottle neck case processing.

Boolit Master
    I made mine with bailing wire and a marshmallow fluff container! Good thing my wife likes fluffernutter sandwiches! Lol
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    So when I set up my new Lee APP I decided I needed a bin to catch brass.
    A bucket underneath didn’t work the greatest and was a pain when an unprocessed piece got thrown in with all the rest.
    So my trusty stand by got put to work, rectangular cottage cheese container.
    I prefer the 24oz, but keep the smaller 16oz around.
    A little tape and I had my catch container

The sad part is it took me a week to realize that I could use a second container as a removable bin.
    I didn’t even think of it until I was cleaning out the catch bin and spied another container on the bench.
    And all week I had been complaining to myself that I needed a real, removable type container.

I am slow at times.

Cheap, ugly and works decently enough for now.

A little masking tape, and a coat of red spraypaint, and who would know it's not factory!
    Last edited by Scrounge; 10-18-2020 at 02:54 PM. Reason: remove photo

Boolit Grand Master
    I love simple and cheap solutions. Nesting them was genieass.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    The issue was the Lee APP isn’t perfect and has a bad habit of flinging unprocessed brass out.
    Bad enough trying to find it in a small container or just reprocessing the small batch (44rds max for 223 with full 4 tube feeder).

Having a unprocessed case flung into a bucket with hundreds of processed cases wasn’t fun.

Good point. I really haven't done much brass processing on my APP, since I don't decap prior to making rounds, don't swage much brass, and roll size on a CasePro that I use a catch bin for. I didn't know the APP spit brass that way.

I use mine mainly for sizing boolits. Dropped unsized boolits are an issue for me just as unprocessed cases are for you, but it's mainly me being fumble fingered rather than the press. I deal with it by having the processed boolits drop into a covered bucket; dropped unsized boolits bounce off the lid and result in cussing as I crawl around getting them from under the bench, but no reprocessing of the whole batch (BTDTHTTS before figuring out "duh, cover the bucket, dummy").

Boolit Master
    I had 16 2 gallon bins with handles from 8 lb 2400 powder containers. Just cut out a panel. I'm working my way back again.

I love repurposed containers. My brass and bullet sorting is done with Costco Carnitas trays. Screws in Costco nut jars. I painted the house to get the 5 gal buckets.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    A covered catch bucket.
    I will have to file that one away for future use.
    I haven’t sized on my APP yet, I need to get around to casting first.
    I am on a jacketed 223 kick right now.
    Just about finished for now, then load up the rest of the cast 45acp that’s laying around.

I accidentally ordered 2 APP’s, one to each address. I thought I had cancelled the wrong one. Funny thing is they arrived within minutes of each other at 2 different towns.

Even with its quirks, or perhaps because of them, I decided to keep the second one.
    One for brass prep, one for bullet sizing.
    It might make me curse at times, but I love mine so far.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I had 16 2 gallon bins with handles from 8 lb 2400 powder containers. Just cut out a panel. I'm working my way back again.

I love repurposed containers. My brass and bullet sorting is done with Costco Carnitas trays. Screws in Costco nut jars. I painted the house to get the 5 gal buckets.
    I am transitioning from 5 gallon buckets to 35lb kitty litter buckets.

They are heavy and awkward for litter use, but stack much better than 5 gallon buckets.
    Plus they are smaller so easier to pickup when full.
    A 5 gallon bucket of brass keeps getting heavier every year.

Boolit Master
    The lid works for boolits because they drop straight down through the die which has a section of hose clamped to it that goes through a close fitting hole in the lid. Brass coming off the pass through shell holder and then down the ramp on the side might take more McGivering.

I hate the way 5 gallon buckets hog space. Maybe I need to invest in a few cats...
    Last edited by kevin c; 10-18-2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Shell, not she'll. Dratted autocorrect.