Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners

Thread: 45-70 mold recommendations

Boolit Buddy

45-70 mold recommendations

I just took receipt of a new Shiloh 45-70 Business Rifle. I'm looking for mold recommendations. Anyone using any designs from Accurate Molds? General purpose shooting for now.

Banned
    I'm not familiar with accurate mold but a 405-grain flat-nose is a great place to start

Boolit Master
    I have four .45-70s and every one of them has shot the Ideal 457124 and 457125 very well. The -124 is good for at least 400 yards, the -125 will do at least 600.

Depending on the recoil you’re willing to stand and the ranges you want to shoot at, one of these would be a best first choice. Accurate should have clones of them, perhaps with a slight flat on the nose. My Hoch copy of the -125 has a slight flat nose, but it shoots as well as the normal roundnose.

If you get a two-cavity Accurate mould, you could get one of each size.

Boolit Grand Master
    My favorite is the 460-420. Most accurate mold I have (and I have too many) . Nice meplat, generous lube grooves. Several of the custom makers make their versions and they are very close. Mine usually cast out around 415 grains.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Accurate molds are short with copies of proven 45-70 molds. Brooks makes molds for the proven Postell and Creedmoor that you should consider ... https://brooksmoulds.com/basepour.html.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Im up to 3 45-70s A sharps brochardt a remington rolling block and Pedersoli sharps ling range. Also a 45-90 in a c sharps hepburn. Here are my go to bullets in order of testing them in rifles. I load all Black Powder Swiss or Olde Ensforde.

1) Lyman 500 grn round nose govt, This is close to an original bullet Mine drop at 510 grns and .4595 dia from 20-1 alloy Its a proven design and usually works well for most uses. Carries it energy well. Ideally the nose fits your bore very close on this bullet.

2) Lyman 535 grn postell. A good bullet and a little better shape for long range again another old school design. Mine drops at 528 grns ( I did convert it to nose pour also) from 20-1 alloy. Shoots good in most rifles. This is a pointier bullet. Drops at .460 now and 528 grns.

3) is a custom 2 cavity mould from OLD WEST. A 550 grain silhouette bullet. Mine drops at 548 grns and .4595. This is a heavy bullet and shoots very well. Again cast from 20-1. Carries energy very well, Swinging Steel really jumps when hit even at 500 yds. I use this bullet a lot in the 45-90.

4) is a Steve Brooks mould for a paper patched bullet it is adjustable normally set for around 535 grns but I have opened it up several times to 565 grn for the 90. Drops a .443 dia ( 2 wraps of ed cole paper bring it to a few ten thousandths over .450.) cup based. They shoot good once you figure it all out wrapping the bullet load. This is almost a money nose style.

I would recommend you check the twist in your rifle barrel along with slugging it for bore and groove size. this will help give an idea of where to start.
    Also you might consider posting in swapping and selling for "test bullets" 30=40 of a known bullet cast and lubed to try. When you find what works buy the mould.

I would also recommend a chamber cast this will give an idea of what dia bullet you can chamber when seated in a case. My Brochart has a tighter chamber and 460 bullets are snug to chamber the last .100 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleysboss View Post
    I just took receipt of a new Shiloh 45-70 Business Rifle. I'm looking for mold recommendations. Anyone using any designs from Accurate Molds? General purpose shooting for now.
    Go find the cheapest one you can find on ebay, then while you are playing with that, you can figure out what you really need.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by semtav View Post
    Go find the cheapest one you can find on ebay, then while you are playing with that, you can figure out what you really need.
    Bingo
    Chill Wills

Those two above answers are about as good as you will get.
    If you stay in this game long enough you will have a drawer full of moulds like most of have to find the best mould

But I might add, You won't find a better quality mould maker than Steve Brooks or Buffalo arms. You will get what you pay for.

Banned

BACO or brooks are definite go-to's for superb moulds. but for starters, perhaps a lee 457-405f for $20. i just order one of tom's excellent accurate molds for a new .45-70 that'll get greasers, the 46-407b (.459"), $86/shipped.

Tom makes a very good mould. I hope someday he will set his lathe up for the elliptical nose for long range.
    I have several of his brass moulds for the lever rifles and hand guns. Very good quality work.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    ... I hope someday he will set his lathe up for the elliptical nose for long range ...
    amen to that! +1

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The Saeco 645 is a very good mould for the 45-70.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

If you want to go through Tom @ Accurate Moulds this is a very good shooting GG bullet for the .45-70 or any .45 caliber rifle. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-467L-D.png I sent him a drawing of a Lyman .457-121PH that I favor for a hunting GG bullet for the Marlin 95 in the .45-70 caliber. The reason I had him make this mould was because the Lyman moulds drop this bullet undersized around .455-6". Tom hit all the dimensions on the head and it shoots exceptionally well in all of my .45 caliber rifles.
    Last edited by Lead pot; 10-19-2020 at 08:43 PM.

I shoot the 405 in a Marlin CB, and it seems well liked by everybody.

Its fine for me too, but getting much over trap door speeds,,,,
    it took me some head scratching to figure out which end of the Marlin was more dangerous than the other.

I think the 350 grain might be a little less punishing to shoot if ya shoot much at one sitting.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the ideas on molds everyone. I did some measuring today and I have had good luck with Accurate so I went ahead and had a two cavity mold made. Accurate 46-510M GG PB with the band width at .458 + and a hunting style 46-442F again band at .458+. GG PB, That particular mold shows a crimp groove. I requested the crimp groove be replaced with another grease groove. Headed to Wyoming on a deer hunt in 10 days. The mold should be here when I get home and we will see what happens. I agree with above statement regarding Brooks and BACO on mold quality. I have had good luck with Accurate designed mold for my 40-65 so I went that route. Hopefully I will have good things to report back.

Vendor Sponsor

I think you did Okay.
    I also think you will be getting more molds if you jump in BPCR with both feet and the mold of the month club bites.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    Chill...I suspect you are right there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    If you want to go through Tom @ Accurate Moulds this is a very good shooting GG bullet for the .45-70 or any .45 caliber rifle. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=46-467L-D.png I sent him a drawing of a Lyman .457-121PH that I favor for a hunting GG bullet for the Marlin 95 in the .45-70 caliber. The reason I had him make this mould was because the Lyman moulds drop this bullet undersized around .455-6". Tom hit all the dimensions on the head and it shoots exceptionally well in all of my .45 caliber rifles.
    dang, that's a hella good lookin' .45-70 hunter ... love all those grease grooves, too.