Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: curious results when mixing colors

Boolit Master

curious results when mixing colors

I'm cheap

when I need to change colors I just add the new one to the bowl. Eventually I use up all the old color

I've been working on getting rid of some light green. Never liked it and figured once it's gone I can 'enjoy' my reds and blacks, etc.

I put some of it (actually a great deal) into a bowl that had Smoke's copper in it. Not very much copper as the resulting powder looked as green as that in the jar.

bullets were coated in green powder before the baking--again same color as in jar

when I baked them = they were brown with just a hint of green. Amazing how the copper overrode the green.

at the end of the day it doesn't matter as they all do fine coming out of the barrel

just an observation during our forced quarantine.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I found when mixing powders you cannot rely on the "color wheel of primary colors" at all, especially with metallic powders and primary colors! You get what you get. I have found some very unique mixes over time. most are not very repeatable.

I empty my #5 ice cream container of old powder after every coating session. The old powder goes into a separate baggy that I courteously refer to as puke in color. Every now and then I'll make up a batch of boolits of puke color. They shoot the same as the pure colors. I guess that's all that really matters. It seems like the greens become the "dominant" color in all my puke batches. I'm not sure why...I guess because I do a lot of pure greens, blues, and yellows...all mixed together makes the dominant green. White/Black just changes the hugh of green....reds/oranges give it a greenish/brown color.

So far I haven't mixed in any metallics...I only have raspberry metallic that I've played with...but it hasn't been added to the puke bag yet.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    As long as you realize powder paint, like wall paint, has different bases, so unless you have checked out the powder you may be mixing a polyester with an epoxy or any one of the other powder types. If I really want a specific color I go to Prismatic Powder where they have over 6K colors and powder types and I can look up a specific powder and see what it is and what it does before I buy it. I do save the overspray, but it goes on things like storage cans, etc. that I just want to keep from rusting. I don't use it on important things like bullets going down my gun barrels, but it's your guns.