Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Mold for Heavy .40/10mm Bullet with Wide Meplat

Boolit Master

Mold for Heavy .40/10mm Bullet with Wide Meplat

I'm looking for a good heavy bullet for 10mm use in my new Springfield XDm. Right now I'm working with a Lee 6-cav 175 grain TC mold, and it's been working well for range use.

I bought this gun for trail use, so I'd really like something heavier than the Lee 175 TC, and with a wider meplat. Probably something in the 200-215 grain range.

Does anyone have any experience with the Accurate 40-215F or 40-200A (drawings attached), or similar heavy designs in the 10mm?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 40-200A.png   40-215F.png  

Cast Hunter

I have the same pistol and worked up a load last year with the gas checked version (Accurate 40-200AG).

I get 1,100 FPS with 6.1 gns of bullseye with good accuracy. (Lyman #2 and a hard lube)

Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    The Lee 175 is indeed a great bullet. For heavier, I went to the RCBS 200 gr. I use in my SA TRP 6”.

Boolit Master
    I had Mountain Molds make me a mold that weighs 202 in Lyman #2. Actual #2 not guessed. The meplat is .290".
    From my M27 Glock and Longshot it runs 930 fps. I haven't clocked it in my 10MM'S yet.
    It shoots and feeds well in the Glock and the XDm 40 S&W I have and the 10's.
    I like it a lot.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 10-18-2020 at 08:10 AM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use Accurate 40-182H and 224H in Ruger 10mm and .38-40 revolvers.

Attachment 269657Attachment 269658
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Man
    I just picked this up:
    http://arsenalmolds.com/image/cache/...PC-500x500.JPG http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=161

Once I get around to casting a few I'll work up a #9 load.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have started to work with this bullet and have only played with a couple of loads, accuracy has been good so far out of my G2 Contender barrel. I haven't done any velocity testing as of yet, but will once I narrow down a load.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gujElac.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	269791

Boolit Master

LBT WFN 200 gr. I had one of the four cavs cut for a GC, and it weighs 209 gr all dressed with check and PC. PB is 203 gr. Great for running hard in my Glock 20. There are several knockoffs of the LBT, and the Accurate 40-195F is well thought of. Specified by our own fredj338.

The left 3 are cast from my mold.

The Lee mold is a great overall bullet for range use, but I like the LBT style for the wilderness.

If you wanted to try before you buy, Montanabulletworks.com has the same LBT, plus some other WFN style bullets.

I prefer a heavy charge of Accurate No. 9. In the 10mm. In the 40, Longshot is awesome for the PB version.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 10-26-2020 at 12:31 AM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    I'm a little late in replying to my own thread here, but thanks very much for the replies. Those LBTs are some good looking bullets, so I might see if I can pick up some from Montana Bullet Works and give them a shot.

Thanks,
    Mike

Boolit Master
    Many don't realize that due to magazine design that wih 1911's ( I know, I know the OP said an XDm) that large meplat bullets need to be seated deeper than normal. Just keep this in mind when going much over .280" diameter meplats if you have a 1911 in 10MM.
    Ask me how I know.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't do much with 10mm auto, but I've shot both the Buffalo Bore and Underwood 220 grain offerings. It seems to me that both are using this bullet. https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/10m...p-per-500.html

It feeds well, and those loads shoot extremely well. As was said, I wouldn't go too big on the flat nose for a semi-auto. I was shooting them in a SIG, and any wider would interfere with the magazine, as they are tapered in the front. Those two bullets you have in the first post would likely have to be seated extremely deep.

Boolit Master

I was going to say the same As MSM.

Many many profiles and many seem to love the WFN. Self included, But too large and you can have difficulties. You can throat the barrel to help, but thats an additional cost so its easier to buy a bullet thats more suitable.

I don't have the XD sorry I cannot tell ya what works. I have Glocks and Colts and the colts will not feed the I was buying 200g WFN from Double Tap. Then bought a NOE 401-198 these function in my Factory, Lone Wolf, KKM and a third barrel whos brand escapes me.

I shoot many many LEE 175 TL the conventional lube mold. (The TL would not shoot) I shoot mostly in my 40's but it works well in the 10 too! Its pretty good in the Colts.

Lyman 402627 (I think). Its a 180g RN FP that feeds in everything.

The last bullet I use I buy. Its made by GT Bullets and its a 220g HP that weighs closer to 230. I dont use very many and they cast in my alloy, and ship as cast for reasonable costs.

My suggestion is to see if you can get a selection to try and decide on what works well and is appealing to you.

Good luck and god bless

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

The heaviest bullet in 10mm that I'll go to is 200gr after that you start losing case capacity and can't reach the velocity you can with the 200's. I bought the arsenal 200gr wfn because I needed a mold quickly and it was in stock but I much prefer the 195gr that Fred338 designed. He graciously sent me a few to try out in my m and p 40cal. And it was a very very good bullet

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I used to think same.

While I completely agree 180/200 is a near ideal weight for a good balance of power and velocity.

I shoot that 220+g HP I worked up slowly as the powders needed for top
    Preformance are Blue Dot and 800x and things happen fast with them. But both will deliver preformance SAFELY past book. I dont and never will advise this but if you know understand and have the experience. You can safely shoot these heavier bullets. I will not share these loads.

My G29 shoots my load 1045/1050 fps
    My G20 shoots them to 1100 fps
    My G40 KKM and I pass 1150 fps.

Expansion in wet news print is 90% to the base of that HP cavity. Accuracy is sub 6" @ 50 yards with the G40. They load is quite shootable for those used to magnum handguns. Its not punishing.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I have both 40 S&W and 10MM handguns and wanted a bullet for double duty so designed a 200 gr. The 200 will do 930 FPS from M27 Glock.

Boolit Man

I have an NOE 401-198 gc. With acww, I push them around max from an XDm 4.5 10mm. They shoot quite will, feed flawlessly and even give single digit SD over a mags worth. I have a strong preference for all of LBT's designs and also their moulds, but this is one of a half-dozen or so NOE moulds I have that I love, both bullet design and how they cast. I use several powders, from 800x to Blue Dot and AA#7. Any of the loads I have tried have given stellar results. I even found a few bullets shot through snow last winter that you could reload, if you were in a bind. In HP trim, the acww bullets expand and are amazing on marmot sized flesh.
    Let's go Brandon!