Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best magazines for Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Same here, both clear and black work perfectly. All my magazines drop right out in my hand when I push in on the release. Some needed the sides flattened to do that. The clear are more likely to need it. What I’m referring to is just put a piece of 220 grit on a flat surface and rub the mag sides on it, just a couple passes. Not making them smaller just removing any flash or irregularity, then swipe the corner to break the sharp edge. I did have one stock that was tight on all my mags, little lipstick on the mag side will show wher. Just gently scrape the wood to remove the binding.
    Good information on cleaning up the edges. I didn't know that might be needed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    When they start to have issues, take it apart and clean it...
    I only have one 10/22 and one BX1 mag with it. The mag won't feed all the rounds, it sticks. Maybe I'm not too smart because I could never get it apart to clean it. I looked on line for directions but couldn't come up with anything. Can you give a guy a hint?

I ran with just a pair of the 10 round mags for 30 years.

But the old girl does seem to like the 25 round BX mags also.

My buddy has a couple of the drum type, never seen him get through more than 15 rounds yet without a problem.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Bear in mind, this is from memory. Been 10 years since I opened one up. On the back there is a raised boss, find the Allen wrench that fits it and , holding the opposite end in place, unscrew the center axel. Pull it out then slowly separate the other end. There is radial spring tension, about a turn and a half. The rest just slides out. I have found that that turn and a half is not helpful when shooting subsonics. I only wind mine 2/3 of a turn. There is a hex on the front that you wind before tightening fully, on reassembly.

Here’s a you tube that looks like it has what you need.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ER8ovMcrTrs
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

And reconsider the no upgrades. You may want to consider an extended magazine release and the automatic bolt release.

Two simple additions that make it easier to use, especially with fingers that aren't as flexible as they used to be.

Boolit Master

Post #17 mentions the devices that couple three 10 round factory mags together in a way that allows you to remove the one in the gun and rotate a third of a turn and then insert one of the remaining two. The set up doesn't hang down two far - and gives you 30 rounds in close proximity. Only draw back is that the two mags the half below have the feed lis exposed to dirt or debris - or dislodging one of the exposed rounds. I have a couple of these and like them
    Last edited by square butte; 10-20-2020 at 09:28 AM.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Moderator Emeritus

The 10/22 I got from rfd had the two magazine joiner. Never used one but I like em. That 10/22 fit my girlfriend perfectly and is a tack driver with CCI.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the video link rking22. I have wanted to take a magazine down but did not want to admit that I was just a little leary of doing it. The video made my day. I too highly recommend the addition of an extended magazine release for the 10/22. I just installed one a few weeks ago and now I wonder why I waited so long to do it. james

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    And reconsider the no upgrades. You may want to consider an extended magazine release and the automatic bolt release.

Two simple additions that make it easier to use, especially with fingers that aren't as flexible as they used to be.
    Agree 100%
    Don Verna

Banned
    I did the most of the 10/22 "thing" years ago. Stock rifles, modified rifles, the works.

The 10/22 is sort of the small block Chevy of 22 rifles. Familiar, plentiful, lots of aftermarket parts.....

The design lends itself to modification but as I wrote earlier. Some things make the gun better and some things just make your wallet lighter.

The barrels are easily swapped and there are some good barrels available, but the factory one isn't horrible. My personal feeling is the chamber and the muzzle are probably more critical than the bore between them.

If you're not mechanically savvy, you can get a complete drop in trigger group. If you are a bit mechanically inclined you can save a lot of money and just get the hammer and sear.

The factory bolt hold open is a bit funky but it is also difficult to inadvertently engage.

The factory trigger return spring/plunger is serviceable but not the most sophisticated design. It reminds me of the trigger spring on a FN FAL.

There are a multitude of options for stocks.

The original factory 10 round magazine is rock solid. It fits flush with the stock, it's super reliable and it holds enough rounds.
    I never found a 10/22 magazine that was an improvement over the factory 10 round mag.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll also recommend the factory ten round magazines. The only time I ever had problems with them was when I dropped them in the desert sand of northern Nevada. Never could get them clean enough to work right after that, but they're cheap to buy.

The 10-22 can be a decent gun, but I prefer the Marlin Model 60 with its fixed tube magazine.

Robert

I took the rifle to the range yesterday and fired about 70 rounds through it. I also picked up two of the clear 10 shot magazines on the way there.

Accuracy was acceptable if not stellar. Suitable for squirrel hunting at least to 30 yards. I need to run some more ammo through it before I make any decisions about it.
    The trigger was acceptable with a little creep but light enough for control.
    Feeding was good for any of the high speed ammo I ran through it. Some of the standard velocity didn't want to work right. It didn't move the bolt back far enough to either eject or feed the next round.
    All the magazines worked just fine. They drop free easily when I push the release lever.
    I cleaned it after I got it home. Apparently, I should have checked that out and oiled the action before I went to the range. The action was completely dry and stiff.
    After cleaning and oiling, the action worked much more smoothly.
    I'll need to try it again when I get to the range next time.

Banned
    Tazman, I've always found the 10/22 in stock form to be very reliable BUT I've also seen quite a few that were never cleaned. I don't know how far you went in your cleaning/oiling efforts but I'd be willing to bet it will function fine on the next outing.

Every now and then, it is a good idea to pull the bolt out of the receiver and give it and the receiver a good cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Tazman, I've always found the 10/22 in stock form to be very reliable BUT I've also seen quite a few that were never cleaned. I don't know how far you went in your cleaning/oiling efforts but I'd be willing to bet it will function fine on the next outing.

Every now and then, it is a good idea to pull the bolt out of the receiver and give it and the receiver a good cleaning.
    I will keep that in mind.
    I held the bolt back and looked at the rails and other moving parts and everything was dry as could be. No oil anywhere. It was as if they assembled it without any lubricant at all.
    I expect it to function much better next time.

I had a similar issue with one of my S&W 22A pistols when I first got it. A little oil on moving parts and things were great.

I usually oil every firearm before I go to the range for the first time but for some reason did not do so this time. This one is on me, not the gun.

Boolit Master
    Guess I’ll be odd man out on the extended mad release. My charger had one from the factory. The first day I had it I dropped the magazine twice when carrying it. That was the first change, got an original flush from a friend, all good. If you carry the rifle a lot in the woods or plinking, be wary of the type of extended mag release you use. I’ m good with the factory bolt hold open also, but see no downside to doing the conversion. I have done trigger jobs on all mine, all factory parts stoned to 2 3/4 to 3 lb triggers. I use subsonic ammo mostly, so I ordered bolt return springs from Kidd, they come with 3 spring rates. Barrels are mostly all Green Mountain, but the Charger wears a cut down carbine barrel. Take about .092 off the breech and shoulder and the preform like a bentz chambered barrel. Ruger makes an execlent barrel, with a sloppy chamber to work with junk ammo and stingers. All also are in various Walnut Sporter stocks and bedded. All will hold 1/2 inch at 50 yards with hunting Sub HPs too. Some modifications are worthwhile, some not so much. No need to spend a wad, I added a 100$ barrel and 5$ spring to make them balance and shoot like I want. Oh, and some time, but that was FUN
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I was first on the block to buy a 10/22 back before they were cool. Cost me $38 at OGC when they were still in Columbus ( now Flavortown ) I had to have those 25 rd mags when I was young. I had everyone that came out back then. Most times you would never get to empty with out a jam. I got over it and decided that factory 10rd was the best magazine. From wheeling and dealing I probably have 20 mags.I still have my original 10/22 from early 60s with original mag. Thousands through it and still ticking. I have 77/22 also that takes same magazines. I carry 1 extra mag while hunting and that’s plenty. If it takes you more than 20 shots to get 4 squirrel you might want to take up some other sport, like knitting.

Anybody remember the Ramline 25 round magazines from way back when?
    I was looking through an old parts box and happened across it yesterday. I haven't checked it out or used it yet but that is on the agenda.

Boolit Master

tazman,

Get a Volquartsen hammer for your 10/22. That one part makes a big difference in the trigger pull.

Also make sure the V Block is square on the barrel and the bolts in the V block are correctly torqued.
    NRA Benefactor.

I took the 10/22 to the range again today and gave it a workout. The 10 round mags ran like a champ today. The rifle is starting to settle in. Groups were a little tighter. Lots fewer malfunctions.
    I tried out that old Ramline 30 round magazine I found in one of the boxes of stuff.
    I left it at the range in the trash barrel. I had 8 malfunctions in the first 15 rounds. I unloaded the rest by hand. Absolutely terrible.

Boolit Master
    anyone cleaned mags in a sonic cleaner ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast