MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best magazines for Ruger 10/22

Best magazines for Ruger 10/22

I, somehow, managed to come home with a Ruger 10/22 with a walnut stock. Just your standard blued steel and wood rifle. Nothing particularly special about it.
    I have no plans for "upgrades" to it. I just plan to shoot it for fun.
    It came with one magazine.
    I plan to get more magazines, some standard 10 rounds, but would like to get some with more capacity.
    Which ones work the best?

Boolit Bub
    I've always used the standard Ruger 10 round mags with no problems, never used the higher capacity magazines so I can't help there.
    All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Boolit Master
    The factory 10 rounders are what I have the best luck with. Ruger sells three packs of them and if you shop around they are about 35 bucks. Three three packs and the one that came with the rifle makes 10 mags and 100 rounds. Only time I need that much loaded firepower is out west.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the 10 round mags. I have tried a few of the extended over the years, the ONLY one that actually worked was the Ruger BX 25. The rest were junk and ALL made the gun cumbersome to handle sticking out like a sore toe. Ruger made, may still, some clear 10 round. I like them the best, the plastic is slightly harder and being able to see how many are loaded is nice.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    Ruger OEM mags, factory 10rd and the BX25's. Some BX25's have issues but the fixes are posted.

Boolit Master
    Factory mags are my preference. Have Butler Creek 25 rounders, the plastic Hot Lips. Not the Steel Lips. They seem to work fine but like rking22 stated...............they are cumbersome. Especially, if trying to shoot off the bench. Have a loader for them, also. Can't recall what brand. Dump a box of 22 ammo in, bullet will point downwards, turn the crank to charge mags.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I have been using Ruger BX-15 magazines. They work well, and extend down enough to get a good grip on when removing.

Boolit Buddy

I have two Ruger 10 round magazines and two Ruger BX25 magazines for my Ruger 10/22. No problems with them at all.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I use the BX-15 mags. Works good for me. They are a lot easier to clean than the 10 round rotary mags.

I use the Ruger 10 rd magazines. No issues. I bought a 3 pk from a ebay seller and no problems. The ebay seller is "Gooutdoorgear". I have no connection to them.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Moderator Emeritus

I have the 10's and 25. Have three 10/22's. Reliability in my takedowns depend on the ammo manufacturer. Good luck

Banned
    The hands down BEST magazine for a 10/22 is the factory magazine - Period!

Ten rounds is plenty, the factory mags just flat work, they fit flush with the bottom of the gun and they are durable.

I've owned and shot a bunch of 10/22's over the years and there's just no reason to use anything other than the factory mag.

Banned
    And while we're on the topic of the Ruger 10/22, I'm going toss in my $0.02 worth.

Out of ALL of the semi-auto rifles chambered for the .22 LR, I don't think there is a better rifle than the Ruger 10/22.
    The 10/22 is: reliable, durable, accurate, simple and an excellent value.
    I've listened to people malign the Ruger and for the life of me, I cannot fathom what their problem is. A Ruger 10/22 with factory mags will just flat work !
    I've seen them become incredibly dirty and still function just fine. I've seen them neglected and work just fine. A 10/22 will generally shoot at least as well as any other .22 rimfire semi-auto and often better than most.

When it comes to .22 rimfire rifles, I tend to gravitate towards bolt actions but for a semi-auto - the little Ruger is hard to beat.

The modular design makes the 10/22 a prime candidate for modifications (sometimes improving the rifle and sometimes just lightening the owner's wallet ) but even in its bone stock form, the 10/22 is an outstanding gun.

Boolit Master

I got my first Ruger 10/22 back in '78.

I now own three 10/22 carbines and one Charger.

Over the years I've collected around two dozen of the BX-1 mags. Those are the factory 10 round mags.

I have one BX-15 that came with the Charger and I have eight BX-25 mags.

I have one of those BX-25 mags that flat doesn't work. I'm going to call Ruger on that one.

I don't think I've ever seen a 10 round mag for the 10/22 that wasn't a factory mag.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    std work best ether 10 or 25 round ,butler creek steel lip 25 round work fine too but some 22 are longer than others and wont feed .eg win power point are fine in ruger mags but not the butler creek

Any difference in function between the black and the clear plastic mags from Ruger?

Boolit Buddy
    I also use the Ruger 10 round mags and have had no problems.
    I also use the Alangator TriMag device that connects three 10 round Ruger mags together.
    It's about $15.00
    https://www.alangator.com/products/TriMag/index.htm

Boolit Master
    i have black and clear mags both work the same.like the clear for hunting as its easy to see how many left in mag.

Boolit Master
    Same here, both clear and black work perfectly. All my magazines drop right out in my hand when I push in on the release. Some needed the sides flattened to do that. The clear are more likely to need it. What I’m referring to is just put a piece of 220 grit on a flat surface and rub the mag sides on it, just a couple passes. Not making them smaller just removing any flash or irregularity, then swipe the corner to break the sharp edge. I did have one stock that was tight on all my mags, little lipstick on the mag side will show wher. Just gently scrape the wood to remove the binding.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I have several stock 10 round mags, nothing newer than 15 years old. When they start to have issues, take it apart and clean it, assemble with a little dry graphite and you will be good for a couple of more years. Have not found anything better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast