First off . . . . thanks 'samari46' & 'Forrest R' for your explanations...I had not been privy to any of this information & it gives me something to think about.

If the quality of your ammo is that bad that the rim thickness is all over the map, what makes you think everything else is perfect???

Second . . . . In all my 70 years I have never taken .22lr as a serious cartridge. Never realized it's accuracy or ever have I been on a club shooting team to compete, just never ran in those circles where I might have been educated by my peers.

Up until this thread where some facts are coming out, I always just assumed that the manufacture of .22lr was very different from one mfgr to the next and certainly 'never imagined' there was anything 'perfect' about them.
I assumed and still assume that for as many steps they take to load them that there are at least that many individual variables all spun together to make a box of 50 basically 'just look similar' to the neked eye alone.

There is very little that I imagined that could be done to improve one of these boxes of 'middle to low end quality' ammo, other than the obvious of taking external measurements and sorting them & shooting them and try to determine if there is actually a difference & is it worthwhile?

All my .22lr weapons have been laying in the safe collecting dust for the last 40 years since the kids grew up and left home...I suppose it was an accident that I got them out to plink a bit and sorta got hooked on this iron sight/50 yards shooting.
It is a challenge to me on many levels & being retired I find it most entertaining.