RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range Scrap - How to Remove Wood?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You will have to use PINE WOOD as a flux anyway!!!!!!! Why separate anything????????

Just leave it in there and let it burn and carbonize. You will probably have to add more WOOD to the re-melt to clean all the gunk out. Just let it melt. You are gonna make wood smoke if you re-melt it right anyway!!!!! 3X fluing with the final one wood + wax (beeswax is my standard).

You have nothing to fear.......if you every plan on re-melting anything into ingots....you HAVE to flux it with wood and wax.

Banger

Boolit Master
    Yes, Why separate anything?

Boolit Buddy
    I understand the neighbors things. I melt several hundred pounds of range scrap a couple times a year and it makes a ton of nasty smoke and odor. I have never had anyone complain to or about me but I don't want to press it any more than necessary.

I do a couple of things. First I use an old room filtering unit. It is designed to filter air and remove smoke and air borne particles. I use a fan to blow the worst away from me and into the filter so most is captured. I also have fired up my Pit Boss and put on a nice size pork butt that takes 15 hours or so. The neighbors never complain about that smell!

Although my scrap doesn't have any wood in it, there is enough paper and other garbage I am convinced it acts as some kind of flux. Once I scrap it off, the lead is very clean and shiny but there is a lot to clean off. I go ahead and flux two more times anyway but not sure I really need to. There are benefits to the crapola!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12