Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand/wrist protection when shooting pistols

Boolit Bub

Hand/wrist protection when shooting pistols

My bi-weekly recreational pistol shooting has really slowed down since I hit 71 last year. Can't seem to tolerate a session of couple of cylinders of .38 S&W aluminum snub nose ( lead 148 gr swc backed under 2.8 gr Bullseye ), plus 4-5 10 rd mags of .22 mini-mags, plus 3-4 8 rd Shield mags of 9mm 124 gr FMJ under 2.6 gr of red dot, per range visit, twice a week. I come away with aches (esp the next morning) in the palm pad of my r. thumb, and for some reason, an aching LEFT hand 1st knuckle plus sore hand joint under that finger.

Tried "mechanic's gloves. Padding just seems to be in wrong places. Searched for "PAST" brand gloves (big thing during my competition years in the 70's & 80's, but they seem to have disappeared. (Only find shoulder pads.)

Well, except for "sell you guns, and find a more gentle hobby" I'm open to other ideas so I can continue to enjoy my reloading and shooting handguns.

LouB

Fingerless weight lifting gloves?

Boolit Master
    Maybe try a different stance, or switch hands. Talk to a DR - a good one. Maybe it's coming from your neck.
    I use 2 grs of Bullseye in my 38 S&W.

Harbor freight has a set that I use for extended sessions with thClick image for larger version. 

Name:	EDC0B90F-0F3D-4285-A919-60E657FBDA38.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	269612e 454 Casull. Good padding but they are tight and take a bit to get off and they do turn your hands a might yellow. They are the best I found for me though and the price is right even if they don’t work for you.

Boolit Buddy
    I was seeing an occupational therapist for arthritis pain in my fingers and hands. She suggested using wheelchair gloves while shooting. I took a pass, cause the the shooting sports I'm involved in forbid wearing gloves. But they might be worth a try.

Rather than fight diminishing returns I switched to .32sw long revolvers and .22mag.

Less recoil, less noise, less powder and lead required, and a pleasure to shoot with old well used hands/wrists.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    My wonderful better half has Lupus.
    Her's is joint type pains.
    She uses compression gloves she got off Amazon. It helps her work, and shooting. Maybe try that?

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to try a couple of them. Really don't want to only shoot .22 cal, but will be shooting more of it and less of center fire calibers.
    LouB

Boolit Grand Master

I am 85, and still shoot. Many, many years ago, I realized that I was better served with Packmayr grips. I have no aches or problem with my hands. Early on, I realized that the base of my shooting hand thumb, suffered when any hard grip was used. I have 100,000 rounds of .45 ACP full house loads, Fifteen or so thousand of .44 Magnums (full throttle) through several revolvers, and my most recoil pistol, a TC .375 JDJones, have put a number though it. All have Packmayrs and the grips absorb the recoil, not my bones and joints.

Just a thought or two...
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    When I first got my Redhawk in 44 mag those single action style factory grips used to beat my fingers to death. Put on a set of Pachmayer Deaccelerator grips. They are a bit softer than the standard grips but not as soft as one would think. easy to get a good grip on and sure help to eliminate the bashed finger syndrome. Frank

Boolit Master
    I second fingerless leather gloves. Even these thin ones help a lot.

I'm 57 but I think I qualify to post here because I've had a stroke and have a stent plus a-fib,I can live with this heart for now but my (bowshooting) wrecked right rotator cuff is sometimes harder to live with. Gloves really help.

Pachmayrs soften it yes... but I much prefer S&W originals...

EDIT:

I took another pic just now while shooting. Fashion!

Last edited by Petander; 10-19-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Add pic

There are thin motorcycle gloves, some fingerless, that have gel in the palms to ease vibration, that might help your issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    There are thin motorcycle gloves, some fingerless, that have gel in the palms to ease vibration, that might help your issues.
    Check out your local bicycle shop. They should have a selection of decent gloves with gel pads in the palms. If there is a shop that deals more with mountain biking/downhill they will probably have better stuff than the road bike shops.

I have a pair like this that I picked up for when I ride my mountain bike. The gel pads in the palms were significantly thicker than most motorcycle gloves Ive seen. And the bicycle gloves were a little lighter weight too.

Boolit Grand Master

Riveting gloves have padded palms and wrist supports. Used them a lot back when I was building aircraft.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried a wrist brace for carpal tunnel sufferers when shooting? That might help the wrist some but there is no substitute for a good glove.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by skrapyard628 View Post
    Check out your local bicycle shop. They should have a selection of decent gloves with gel pads in the palms. If there is a shop that deals more with mountain biking/downhill they will probably have better stuff than the road bike shops.

I have a pair like this that I picked up for when I ride my mountain bike. The gel pads in the palms were significantly thicker than most motorcycle gloves Ive seen. And the bicycle gloves were a little lighter weight too.
    This - a good pair of cycling gloves takes up a lot of the road vibration that makes you hands numb so they should help out while shooting.
    Unfortunately anything cycling related comes with a price tag that only the store owner is proud of...

Boolit Grand Master
    Of the 100's of 1000's of pistol rounds downrange the .357 Mag's have had the most powerful pistols I have ever shot. I am 70 and continue to shoot without limitations.

John Taffin once wrote he regretted all the full house .44 Mag's he shot as they took a toll in the end. That remains good advice to be heeded.

If you are full of piss and vinegar, think about the long term consequences of shooting heavy recoiling pistols. I feel badly for the OP. He is not that old and is unable to enjoy his passion. I have enough "stuff" to keep shooting 10k a year until I am 90.

To the OP, try not to stop shooting altogether. I have a powder puff load with 125-130 gr bullets for the .38 Spl with 2.7 gr of Clays that has very little recoil. And it is nice not having to bend over and chase brass...(my back is what kills me!!) Even if you cannot shoot pistols as much as you would like, get a little .357 carbine, feed it light loads, and get range time with it. They are a lot fun and there is no recoil.
    Don Verna

+1 to weight lifter's gloves and what skrapyard628 wrote about cycling gloves. If you don't have a local bike shop, try BikeTiresDirect.com

Groo here
    I would use Handball gloves [leather] when shooting the BIG stuff....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    Groo here
    I would use Handball gloves [leather] when shooting the BIG stuff....
    Yes, I've had a pair of goalkeeper gloves for many years. I shoot all winter.

They give a good,slightly sticky grip which I like. Help with the cold a little,too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast