Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Passed my amateur radio General Class license.

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations! 30 year extra class here. KC4VAJ

Boolit Bub

Excellent news!

50 yr ham here, mostly CW. See you on 20M!

John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Congratulations!
    I have been a ham for a long time, although have never been very active.
    When they dropped the code requirement I thought I would automatically become general because I held a tech+.
    A tech+ license was the general exam but not passing the code, never able to get much past 9 words a minute.
    I was really disappointed and pretty much lost interest.
    I currently still hold the tech license. Someday I still hope to take the test and get general.
    i hope you do try for your general ticket!

btw, tech plus was a designation for those that were novice class that passed the tech exam AND for techs who passed the 5 words per minute code exam.

general privileges have always required a general exam even after the code requirements were modified/dropped.

good luck!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    Hot dog!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Good job ! It is always a good feeling passing any kind of test.

Congratulations on your step up!

KV4VE

Boolit Master
    In the Army I was on the voice side
    (Spanish), but I always admired the Morse
    Code guys (ditty bopers). Most of them
    could copy the automatic machines of
    the day !

With the latest BS on 'unsocial media'
    you ham radio guys may be the best way
    we will have to seriously communicate in
    the future.

Boolit Master

congratulations on passing the general class ham ticket. It is a great hobby and I miss not getting on. DXing was my big thing and I enjoyed working those stations way far away. A terrific ice storm took my CL-33 and my 2 meter beams down several years ago and I never put things back together. I still have some tower stashed away just in case I get the ham bug again someday. 73 and all the best from WA0ATU since 1961.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

HF is where the interesting stuff it

congratulations

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    I passed the General class test today. Only missed 3 questions.
    I got tech 1999, code in 2002 along with general at the same testing, went straight to Advanced and Extra the following month. My bother got his Tech a few months before me, the rest of the tests we took together. Love twisting the knobs! I run my portable radios off an 8 amp hour battery, fed with a 33 watt solar cell. It will run the 100 watt 897, but I generally run on low power, between 5 and 20 watts.

Our 'Elmer' was a retired Deputy Sheriff who sadly passed. Before he died, he sold his Kenwood 520 to my brother. After he passed his wife wanted to know if I wanted his Kenwood 930 it was the one he taught me on. Radios are a sickness and I am much afflicted having collected a few along the way. My wife spoils me and has bought me a few. Yaesu 897 came along for Christmas of 2002, Yaesu 817 was summer of 2006.

My brother and I do Parks On The Air (POTA) but no summits yet. After talking a lot, we finally started doing QRP Digital modes, using a Raspberry PI to operate the radios. Digital is kind of cheating, but you can send regular messages rather than just quick QSOs. I want to practice CW, kind of got out of the habit after passing the test.

I found out the hard way, the power output for the Y 817 is backwards. When your phone has full bars it means more power. With the Yaesu 817 it means low power. I worked a guy in Central TX from Southern Oregon on 1/2 Watt. Oops! I like the challenge of QRP operation.

Just last month, my brother bought me 2 MFJ QRP tuners for my birthday, one does loop, the other random length wire. I bought a Hula Hoop for the loop and plan on wiring it for 40 M. The random wire just has 33 feet of wire. I still have a speaker wire dipole hanging on the picket fence out front. It's a compromise set up as it's only a few feet of the ground. Reception kind of sucks due to excessive QRM near the house in N CA.

Last week I took the random wire down to the pier in the harbor and had reasonable success using 5 watts. My brother came down with his Yaesu 818 but forgot a connecting wire so he didn't get on the air. Currently in N CA as I split my time between here and the Rockies. I'm looking forward to driving up Pikes Peak again. You can really get out at 14,110 feet!

Anyway, I know there are a lot more Hams here, you are not alone, congrats on getting your ticket! Social Distancing with radio is cool. 73s, Frank, W6FCV
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    I got tech 1999, code in 2002 along with general at the same testing, went straight to Advanced and Extra the following month. My bother got his Tech a few months before me, the rest of the tests we took together. Love twisting the knobs! I run my portable radios off an 8 amp hour battery, fed with a 33 watt solar cell. It will run the 100 watt 897, but I generally run on low power, between 5 and 20 watts.

Our 'Elmer' was a retired Deputy Sheriff who sadly passed. Before he died, he sold his Kenwood 520 to my brother. After he passed his wife wanted to know if I wanted his Kenwood 930 it was the one he taught me on. Radios are a sickness and I am much afflicted having collected a few along the way. My wife spoils me and has bought me a few. Yaesu 897 came along for Christmas of 2002, Yaesu 817 was summer of 2006.

My brother and I do Parks On The Air (POTA) but no summits yet. After talking a lot, we finally started doing QRP Digital modes, using a Raspberry PI to operate the radios. Digital is kind of cheating, but you can send regular messages rather than just quick QSOs. I want to practice CW, kind of got out of the habit after passing the test.

I found out the hard way, the power output for the Y 817 is backwards. When your phone has full bars it means more power. With the Yaesu 817 it means low power. I worked a guy in Central TX from Southern Oregon on 1/2 Watt. Oops! I like the challenge of QRP operation.

Just last month, my brother bought me 2 MFJ QRP tuners for my birthday, one does loop, the other random length wire. I bought a Hula Hoop for the loop and plan on wiring it for 40 M. The random wire just has 33 feet of wire. I still have a speaker wire dipole hanging on the picket fence out front. It's a compromise set up as it's only a few feet of the ground. Reception kind of sucks due to excessive QRM near the house in N CA.

Last week I took the random wire down to the pier in the harbor and had reasonable success using 5 watts. My brother came down with his Yaesu 818 but forgot a connecting wire so he didn't get on the air. Currently in N CA as I split my time between here and the Rockies. I'm looking forward to driving up Pikes Peak again. You can really get out at 14,110 feet!

Anyway, I know there are a lot more Hams here, you are not alone, congrats on getting your ticket! Social Distancing with radio is cool. 73s, Frank, W6FCV
    Frank, social distancing with radio is 144mhz, right? (2meters)
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master
    HF is truly where the fun is. The low sunspot count wreaks havoc though. When I first started one of the hams told me of working Africa on 15 meters mobile with 10 watts. It was at the peak of a very active sun spot cycle though.

One of my favorite all time HF contacts was T32A.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

Congratulations! From KD8OHS

Boolit Master

Congratulations! Passed Technician and General in September myself.
    KO4GMY
    Bulldogger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tommag View Post
    Frank, social distancing with radio is 144mhz, right? (2meters)
    2 M, SSB, EME, it's all good!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    HF is truly where the fun is. The low sunspot count wreaks havoc though. When I first started one of the hams told me of working Africa on 15 meters mobile with 10 watts. It was at the peak of a very active sun spot cycle though.
    I don't have any trouble working Europe on 20 meters using 5 watts with a portable antenna right now.

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations. It's an enjoyable hobby with a LOT to learn. I expect an update with a pic of the new 'shack' with some details once you're up and running.

But now comes the hard decisions. When you have 10 mins to burn, do you check the boolit or the HAM forum? Does that extra $$$ you set aside go for a chronograph or an antenna? And the ultimate question: how can you combine the two hobbies?

Boolit Buddy
    Nice work! I'm an Amateur Extra and have been for ~8 years.

Made DXCC in 2018.
    Last edited by downzero; 10-19-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WebMonkey View Post
    i hope you do try for your general ticket!

btw, tech plus was a designation for those that were novice class that passed the tech exam AND for techs who passed the 5 words per minute code exam.

general privileges have always required a general exam even after the code requirements were modified/dropped.

good luck!
    Old tech plus was 5wpm and the general exam. When they dropped code it grandfathered me into general from tech plus.

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! I have been licensed since 1974! Grandfathered into general about 14 years ago but only dabble on HF. I prefer to operate VHF plus! 2 meter SSB long range contacts are my favorite but I operate 6m, 2m including EME, 1.25m(222mhz), 70cm, 23cm, and 3cm is being added!

My 2m array tracking the moon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast