Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Am I missing something ?

Am I missing something ?

One of these Hornady Pistol Powder measures sold for $102 today on eBay. Now I have one and like it, but for more like the $20 I paid.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9CDA6268-51DF-4140-AB22-9AE93F96C91B.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	269584

Actually, it looks like ya did pretty good.

Americans love a bargain.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I love mine too and use it all the time (I have a bunch of bushings). Still, I can think of other things I’d rather spend a hundred bucks on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    It seems that the older equipment is going for higher dollars today.
    Some people out there are willing to pay for old time quality.
    There is so much plastic stuff out there that's cheaper and many are willing to save money
    just to get started.
    Then they find out about the older tooling and it's quality.

I agree with the older equipment. I just wish I had more bushings for mine. I have 4 or 5 originals and made a few from some 1/2”x1/2” round nylon spacers I bought at the hardware store.

Boolit Master
    I see a LOT of new shooters and new reloaders in a couple of online groups. My guess would be demand is up across the board, especially among people who haven't figured out how much a lot of things should cost.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

I have at least one of those, purchased around 1975, (last century), works great. Made a bunch of bushings for it back in the day.

They are quality.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Am I missing something ?
    One of these Hornady Pistol Powder measures sold for $102 today on eBay. Now I have one and like it, but for more like the $20 I paid.
    Not at all. Smart people buy low and sell high. After Obama’s re-election and Sandyhook, I sold a Dillon 650 for $1840. The fact that it sold for that much is evidence that there was at least one other person willing to pay just slightly less than that. So they are not alone.

I guess it’s not completely unlike someone in the city paying more for a tiny studio apartment rent, than payments on a 4 bedroom home on a couple acres in the country would cost for them to own. Different wants and needs.

Boolit Grand Master
    This measure and the similar Pacific model, come up in nearly every discussion about Pacific’s earlier (rotor style) Pistol Powder Measure. Since it is based on the tried and true principle of a sliding charge bar with interchangeable bushings, it has much to recommend it... simplicity, accuracy and durability for the average user. About the only thing I dislike about it is the rather extensive use of aluminum in its construction, but that is probably just a personal bias.

I have to admit skimming over the offering in question, but from the prices I have seen lately, it seems a little high. Then again, with the inclusion of several (hopefully) useful charge bushings and in today’s sellers’ market for all things reloading, it’s probably not too bad. Getting the whole thing for $20 like the OP, if done today, would be a screaming deal IMHO.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I have one of those and a good handful of bushings that came with it. No stand though but I can make that in a jiffy.

I have no idea what I paid for it on the net a few years ago but I am guessing in the 30$ range, way south of a C note.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

$102.00?? My gosh the reloading world has gone crazy! I have the earlier model made by Pacific and it is surprisingly accurate/repeatable. I paid $15.00 and it came with 10 bushings, shipping another $5.00 and I know that was decades ago. I purchased Hornady bushings and "customized" some for a particular charge of a particular powder. For an established load, one that works well for me, I use mine often (for load work ups I weigh every charge and for my Pacific Pistol Powder Measure I'll customize a bushing for that particular charge)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

One thing I've learned by watching auctions online that are firearm/reloading related. The winning bidder was willing to pay more for it than anyone else who lives in a free country.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master

I also got mine years ago for a little - but the charge bar was broken at the hole. That was why it was so cheap. I got Buckshot to make me a steel charge bar, I sent him the broken one. When I got what he made it literally took three swipes of my file and it fits perfectly. I bought a length of brass 1/2" round bar. I cut pieces 1/2" long and drill as needed using my wood lathe. Somewhere here I've a picture of me making one. Nope - I checked and it's not in my pictures on this program any more.

The other thing I've done is get a hole a little small and ream it with my Lyman 60 degree reamer. I can add a tenth of a grain at a time if I'm careful.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The one that sold for $102 had no bushings with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Watch the prices of the Lyman 55, they stopped making it.