Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: .40 cal mold dilemma

.40 cal mold dilemma

I have been casting and shooting the six cavity Lee TL401-175-SWC 175 and so far I'm satisfied with it but have yet to run any accuracy tests with it. It's a L-O-N-G story but after two miserable attempts to get a six cavity 401-175-TC which are now unobtanium I'm reconsidering getting one at all.

I REALLY like running two molds and casting with two 6 cavity molds would be ideal, but to here's my issue... Should I wait for the TC and run one SWC and later on the TC and SWC at the same time, or ditch the idea of the TC and just get another SWC which are for SOME reason still plentiful. Have other casters found the TC so much better than the SWC?

Does anyone have experience with either / both of these 40 cal molds? Or, possibly used the much more expensive Lyman 401638 40 mold which are scarce / expensive but available and obtainable?
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    No experience with the SWC mold, but I just got the Lee 175 TC mold from Midway and it's been working really well for me. Running them through the lube-sizer is kind of irritating since they're bevel based and I need to wipe lube off the base every time. That about doubles my production time. Other than that, no complaints. With plain wheel weight alloy plus a little added tin, they've been dropping right around .402". I've been using it in a 10mm Springfield XDM.

You might look at Accurate molds, or any of the others who advertise on this site. Many of them make 6 cav aluminum molds, and from what I've seen they have far more options than the 1 or 2 offered by Lee/Lyman/RCBS, etc. Of course it'll cost more than a $50 Lee aluminum mold, but it's well worth it.

Boolit Master

I didn't have any luck with the SWC mould, had issues with LOA/chambering issues. I went to the TC mould and never looked back as it works great. If the SWC mould works for you then stick with it and get another. I don't think you will find much difference in performance if that is what you are wondering?

Moderator Emeritus

I have owned both. The TL was a karma gift and I regifted it a few years back. I am not a fan of tumble lube bullets in high pressure applications. of which 40 & 9 qualify. If I had only one 40 cal mold it would be the Lee 175 tc. I have a Kahr that needs sized to .400 so it gets the 145 just to simplify things. Only cal I just shoot lees in is 40.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I just wished Lee would make a TC in the 165 area since that is the carry ammo I use. 165 JHP in my 40.

ACC

Quote Originally Posted by Intel6 View Post
    I didn't have any luck with the SWC mould, had issues with LOA/chambering issues. I went to the TC mould and never looked back as it works great. If the SWC mould works for you then stick with it and get another. I don't think you will find much difference in performance if that is what you are wondering?
    Thanks!! The comparative performance issue is really what I'm after. My concerns were pressure differences (if I bought the TC to add to my collection) between the two styles being that the two .40 molds present different bearing surfaces to the bore affecting pressure with a given powder charge. But since accuracy doesn't seem to be different between the two, and I've had no issues with feeding the SWC I'll stick with them for now, that is until I can score at least one of the TC molds.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
    No experience with the SWC mold, but I just got the Lee 175 TC mold from Midway and it's been working really well for me. Running them through the lube-sizer is kind of irritating since they're bevel based and I need to wipe lube off the base every time. That about doubles my production time. Other than that, no complaints. With plain wheel weight alloy plus a little added tin, they've been dropping right around .402". I've been using it in a 10mm Springfield XDM.

You might look at Accurate molds, or any of the others who advertise on this site. Many of them make 6 cav aluminum molds, and from what I've seen they have far more options than the 1 or 2 offered by Lee/Lyman/RCBS, etc. Of course it'll cost more than a $50 Lee aluminum mold, but it's well worth it.
    I'd invest in a Star sizer/luber, super fast, more precise, no more lube on bases or noses of boolits. I'd give up many nice molds for a Star!!

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I'd invest in a Star sizer/luber, super fast, more precise, no more lube on bases or noses of boolits. I'd give up many nice molds for a Star!!
    Odd you say that, the one bevel base mold I used to have had lots of lube on the base, it's a common problem with Star. I wonder if Magma could gen up a die with a real thin / slim lube band that would not leak past a bevel base?
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master

The 401638 is a very good profile. However I cannot recommend a current production mold. I bought one late 18 or early 19 and had several issues. Returned it for warrantee and they sent a replacement with the same issues. That one was sold to one of our great contributors here that got it working. I didn't habe the patience for a project.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield