Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt pistols?

Bolt pistols?

In another thread I mentioned my XP-100 and figured I'd post it and comments on it here. I bought it after my XP in .221 fireball stock melted, and decided to shoot steel and hunt with the 7mm because at least back then in Florida a 22 cal center fire pistol wasn't legal for small or large game. The 7BR is a hoot, I could form brass which I did a bit but BR brass came out so I did not need it. It's an attention grabber wherever I shoot it.

After getting the XP, I looked seriously at the Wichita center trigger models but they were out of $$ reach and I stayed content with the XP.

Any XP, Wichita, Savage, or even Chipmunk owners here?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xp100.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	269563
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    I don't like XP's because the bolt handle is on the wrong side. I have an Exemplar based on a left handed action. That is better.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master

I have XP-100R in .223, 260 Remington and 35 Remington.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I have an xp in 7mm BR, it is a shooter for sure. don't shoot it as much as I should, play around with other stuff like 218 bee and 25-20 instead for some unknown reason.
    Barry

Banned
    I have had several Savage Strikers an early XP-1 and a Weatherby, now gone. I currently have a XP100R project that is 2/3 completed in 6BR, it's been that way for twenty years. Maybe someday.

I really like the bolt pistols, in all flavors.
    Ken

Boolit Bub
    Yes I have two of the Chipmunk bolt action pistols. One in 22lr and one in 22 mag. Great little guns fur the money!

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I don't like XP's because the bolt handle is on the wrong side. I have an Exemplar based on a left handed action. That is better.

Tim
    It's actually on the correct side, for a 600. The reason it's on the right side is Rem developed the 600 and XP at the same time, but delivered the XP first fearing the ATF would call it an SBR or shortened rifle. Once ATF didn't squeal they released the 600. It was more a matter of less tooling, not convenience. But I agree the bolt is better on the left side but not having an XP for that reason wasn't an option.

Anschutz made some awesome rifles, (I have two) I never handles one of their pistols.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Buddy
    I have four XP's, two in 7BR (one custom built), one in 222 Rem (custom built) and one in 35 Rem. All tack drivers. Also have a Chipmunk...not sure why.

Chris

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a few XP's. Took my first deer with one, in 308win.. Used to shoot a rear grip XP in 358 win, in IHMSA (308 just wasn't enough!!)

XP is probably my favorite. Bolt is on the correct side for me!!

Boolit Master
    Wanted an xp100 when I was shooting silhouette in the 80s. Not enough $$, so shot Contenders. I recently picked up a Chipmunk and find it great fun. Like a 2 1/2 pound rifle, I squirrel hunt with it. This morning only saw 2 squirrels, a hawk got one, I got the other!

It has the bolt on the left, don’t see it myself, I still cycle and load right handed, gotta reach over. Not like I’m gonna get a quick follow up shot regardless.

Name:	DEC0E547-6154-4DCF-91FC-2E0F435C4179.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	269614
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I USED to have a Savage .17 HMR pistol, I want to say it was the 512 model IIRC. I was too broke to get a proper scope for it at the time and grew frustrated with it and sold it. I wish I had that one back.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

My XP was custom built by Barry Brown , Brown fiber glass center grip stock , 15" Shilen ss match barrel in 7mm IHSMA with a blueprinted action , lightened bolt with a Sako extractor ,and trigger reworked by Brown , It has a 2.5x 8 leupold with a target dot. usually shoots 3/4 to 1/2 " at 200 yards
    Ive had the gun for 33 years already ! where did the time go ?

Boolit Master

I picked up a Cricket then a Chipmunk. 22 LR and Mag as range toys to shoot while letting bareels cool or keeping someone occupied.

Darn fun guns!!! With a lil tinkering they shoot real well too!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Anschutz made some awesome rifles, (I have two) I never handles one of their pistols.

The exemplars that I have had the opportunity to shoot have been exceptionally accurate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master
    Do you use a pistol scope or a rifle scope on your bolt pistols. Mine has a rifle scope and I shoot it more like a rifle.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Savage Striker in 7mm-08 , shoots cast great .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Buddy
    My pistols all have pistol scopes on them. Not sure I'd want to snuggle up to a 35 rem with a rifle scope on it...ouch!
    Chris

Boolit Master
    The Cricket I have wears a shotgun scope, I shoot it like a rifle. The little tail above the grip nests under my cheekbone and the sling around my right shoulder. Have a charger set up the same. I would NOT shoot an XP100 in 308 like that!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Do you use a pistol scope or a rifle scope on your bolt pistols. Mine has a rifle scope and I shoot it more like a rifle.

Tim
    I don't know who you directed this at, but I use a Leupold Long Eye Relief pistol scope.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master

You forgot the Anschutz Exemplars with the bolts on the right side.

TOP: left hand 54 Action in .22 Hornet

BOTTOM: Left hand 64 action in .22LR

Name:	Exemplars.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	270055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast