Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lighter/Faster Deer Load

Boolit Master
    .50-70 Sharps, straight walled chamber, 450 grain bullet, and a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I have killed deer with an 1860 army C&B revolver with a round ball. deer aren't hard to kill
    I once dropped a deer with a stern rebuke and a strongly worded letter to the "Times". Indeed, deer are not hard to kill.

(No offense meant. I couldn't resist it.)

If you don't mind a JSP ( ), then a 200 grainer might be the ticket.

With H110 or 296 you can reach over 2000 FPS easily with a 20" barrel.
    Flat shooting and lots of shock.

To continue, I once easily killed a buck at 70 mph with my Silverado. The problem was that the buck also killed my Silverado......and I hate the taste and smell of airbags

Boolit Master

Shot a domestic sheep once with that boolit in a Rossi 92. Probably ACWW and 6 grains of Promo. Maybe 1100 FPS? He was a wiley one I couldn't get close to, but a shot presented when he put his head down to eat facing me. I shot him in the neck right behind the head. The boolit traveled the full length of his neck and exited his brisket. No doubt you will get plenty of penetration.

Boolit Master
    A GC'd bullet will best serve your needs. I found the GC'd 429215 can be driven to 1800+ fps safely out of 20 - 24" barrels with excellent accuracy and deadly effect on deer out to 200 yards.
    Amen! The 429215 has been my go-to boolit for about as long as I've shot a .44, out of SBH's and carbines and I never recovered a boolit from the deer. clean holes in and out. All penetrated completely. The slow twist is an advantage with a 1:1 WW:soft lead expandable alloy, though generally they don't expand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I'm not sure hydrostatic shock becomes an issue until the projectile exceeds Mach II. Can a cast projectile be launched that fast & still stay together?
    I have a 1 in 38 twist, I launch 180gr cast bullets faster than Mark2.

RPMs with specific alloy is what is important, not the velocity alone.
    RPM Threshold
    There was a page with that info condensed, but I can't find it.

Also, I have shot deer with the 45-70 well below mark 2 and have turned the heart inside out; purely from hydrostatic shock.

Boolit Master
    after many years shooting 44 mag, with several different molds out of rifles and handguns I've come to realize why the 240 grain bullet is the most standard fare. it just works. I guess there is a balance between energy and speed that is just about right with this load. I'm not much of an accomplished hunter so can't really say if the semi wad cutter or the round flat is better but, my most favorites for accuracy is the hg503 design and 432640. I'm sure that with loaded over a full complement of magnum pistol powder like the h110, 296, aa9, 300mp, 2400 will kill just about whatever is within 100 yards as long as you place bullet in vitals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123