Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: 35 whelen

Boolit Buddy

35 whelen

Afternoon , picked one of these up in a handi rifle and looking for what molds and powder work best, from what I hear this thing can be a hammer , looking for heavy boolits for hogs... any info appreciated ......have a nice day

Boolit Master
    Look at Accurate's 360-210A. A very good shooter and plenty enough for any animal. I shoot it up to 2300fps before recoil gets bad.

For a fun Sledgehammer, the NOE Thumper.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 35 Whelen in a cva hunter, it shoots the 200 gr. From Lee great with most every loading I have tried with it. You can get this mold for only about 22$ . I did try some 300 gr. Precast from Midway & they shot great also but with noticeable more recoil. I am sure something in 250 gr. would shoot good also but soo far I have resisted the 85 to 100$ for another mold.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the 200g Lee in my handi. Using 13g of red dot, it's a very mild load that is fun and accurate.

Boolit Master
    The best mold I've used in my .35s is the Saeco 245 grain flat point gas check.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    Afternoon , picked one of these up in a handi rifle and looking for what molds and powder work best, from what I hear this thing can be a hammer , looking for heavy boolits for hogs... any info appreciated ......have a nice day
    Not what you described, but I bought this for my .358 Norma Magnum. NOT a WFN design, not heavy... but I became so happy with it that it's still my only mould for the 358 Norma Magnum, 35 Whelan, and 358 Winchester. Looks like nothing special...but deer and elk have not shrugged it off yet.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...rain-flat-nose

However, I'm just a casual hunter with cast bullets in those calibers; most of the time I use Barnes' jacketed offerings. If I was going to get serious about hunting with cast bullets in either the 358 Win or 35 Whelen, I think I'd do a cerrosafe casting, get some measurements, and then contact Accurate Molds about this design.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=36-250C-D.png

I have something that looks to be about the same thing in 303 caliber for my grandfather's old Winchester Model 1895, and it is more than acceptably accurate and has worked very well on the mule deer and white tails that I have shot with it. No elk or moose yet. I've purchased three moulds from Accurate now, and each has arrived with the dimensional changes I asked for spot on. Two of them are two cavity with each cavity having a different design. You can order your mould with a hunting WFN type design in one cavity, and the other in a much lighter bullet for just enjoying the rifle at the range.

Boolit Bub
    Timely subject, I just finished building a .35 Whelen Scout Rifle. I will be reloading once the barrel is broke in; and it's time to buy dies. Just wondering what do you folks think is the best die set?

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by RC46 View Post
    Timely subject, I just finished building a .35 Whelen Scout Rifle. I will be reloading once the barrel is broke in; and it's time to buy dies. Just wondering what do you folks think is the best die set?
    I am running Lee. The finishes are great and the cases size straight/bullets seat straight.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    The best mold I've used in my .35s is the Saeco 245 grain flat point gas check.
    AMEN!!

I have used the Lyman 358009 but it being a bore rider PC has shelved it. It just dosent work. So I ordered a Accurate 36-270c. Awesome mold!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Tom at accurate made up the #36-275 E for me. I like the way it Feeds in my Mauser VZ-24. Shoots best in my rifle with AA2230. I use a hollow pointer for hunting.

Boolit Master

I cast & powder coat the 36-270c with various alloys to serve my expansion needs.

From 20:1 used subsonic in my 350L bolt to 10:1 in my 358 Norma Mag with TB @ 1500 fps to 1850 in the Whelen with COWW & Tin. Expansion is easy.

A 16:1 took a blk bear for a friend in NC last year from a warm loaded single shot 357 Maxi. This bullet is working awesome!!

CW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    AMEN!!

I have used the Lyman 358009 but it being a bore rider PC has shelved it. It just dosent work. So I ordered a Accurate 36-270c. Awesome mold!!

CW
    Did the additional size from the PC cause the problem? Could it be resized after the PC process?
    Bill
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Did the additional size from the PC cause the problem? Could it be resized after the PC process?
    Bill
    Exactly. Even as cast its a tight fit. Im not speaking to the bearing surface. Of coarse this is a sized bullet. Im speaking of the bore rider nose section.

I have a NOE nose sizer die and a few different sizes. It isnt my answer. Its not doing what I need. Speaking with Al its a band-aide not a long term answer.

Iys one of a few bullets I still use with conventional lube.

CW