Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substituting Magnum small pistol primers for small pistol primers?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Substituting Magnum small pistol primers for small pistol primers?

Since the shortage and SP primers seem to be non existent I’m wondering if I can use magnums in 9mm, 380, 32s&w, ect. I would obviously use starting loads and work up. I believe I might still be able to purchase some cci Small magnum pistol primers locally for $39.99. The lgs had about 5 bricks on the shelf the other day with a 1 brick limit. They have been there for 2 weeks with no buyers. So I might try to pick up a brick or two if I can use them in my 9mm. I do have one brick of cci SP but figured I’d pick up some more options.

Boolit Mold

For target speed loads and mid range loadings . ( only) I have use the Sm. magnums , and experienced no problems.
    Never loading more, and shooting more than 50 rds. At a time.
    Your milage may vary.
    Custer ... wore the first Arrow Shirt.

"If you could only have one rifle ... you need to get a better Job".

Boolit Master
    I do it, as I have a large supply. I cut back a bit on the powder charge. Works fine.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have found that in small capacity pistol cases like the .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long, .380 ACP, 9mm Luger and .45 ACP, using fast-burning powders similar to Bullseye, TiteGroup W231 or HP38 that a 10% reduction in powder charge weight approximates with a magnum primer, the same velocity as a standard primer. This works out to about a 0.2 grain reduction in .32 ACP and .380, and 0.4 grain in 9mm and .45 ACP.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Tripplebeards

I'm running the risk of getting flamed here but I've been very cautiously experimenting with WSR primers in a .357. I'm not going to quote any loads but with mid-range loads and carefully watching the chronograph there hasn't been any issue at all. Velocity was very slightly increased and ES increased a little but accuracy in a Model 28 Smith was just fine. Bear in mind that I'm not interested in turning a .357 into a grizzly slayer and these were nowhere near max loads. At least now I know that if my small pistol standard primer supply runs out I'll keep on shooting. FWIW

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doghawg View Post
    Tripplebeards

I'm running the risk of getting flamed here but I've been very cautiously experimenting with WSR primers in a .357. I'm not going to quote any loads but with mid-range loads and carefully watching the chronograph there hasn't been any issue at all. Velocity was very slightly increased and ES increased a little but accuracy in a Model 28 Smith was just fine. Bear in mind that I'm not interested in turning a .357 into a grizzly slayer and these were nowhere near max loads. At least now I know that if my small pistol standard primer supply runs out I'll keep on shooting. FWIW
    its allways been said that a cci small pistol mag primer is the exact same primer as are in the standard small rifle boxes.

Outpost75, that’s great info. That gives me parameters to try SRPs in my .357.
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    its allways been said that a cci small pistol mag primer is the exact same primer as are in the standard small rifle boxes.
    I have no proof other than internet lore and a chronograph, but this has been my experience too. That said, no one should ever use CCI 400's or CCI 550's interchangeably! Horrible things can and will happen pretty quickly. The most horrible thing would be that some knothead will start buying 400's when 550's are out of stock and I won't be able to find them when I want them. Yep, horrible things!

Boolit Master
    Many years back I tried SPM primers in .223. The firing pin pierced the primers and i got gas cutting on my bolt face.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    small rifle primer in pistol ammo = ok, small pistol primer in rifle ammo = NO!
    While they may have the same brisance, rifle primers are made to withstand higher pressures generated when the powder burns.

Boolit Buddy

Tripplebeards

I guess I helped derail your topic here with my small rifle primer post but back on topic...if I was you I'd grab those magnum primers! Just back off a bit like Outpost75 pointed out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    I have no proof other than internet lore and a chronograph, but this has been my experience too. That said, no one should ever use CCI 400's or CCI 550's interchangeably! Horrible things can and will happen pretty quickly. The most horrible thing would be that some knothead will start buying 400's when 550's are out of stock and I won't be able to find them when I want them. Yep, horrible things!
    A while back someone posted a letter and response from cci that verified it as fact.

Boolit Master
    Small rifle primers are standard in 327FM loads, that's why they all have heavier hammer springs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    A while back someone posted a letter and response from cci that verified it as fact.
    I saw that also. On another forum an email from CCI was posted with this info but I can't remember which (maybe S&W forum). Regardless, one should never use CCI 400's instead of CCI 550's.

Tripplebeards, as stated in pistols using a SPM works when you have no other choice. What's this, the 3rd or 4th great primer famine? A couple famines ago I dropped a mint on supplies and will be good for some time to come, but the itch to get more is strong. One thing it did do was make me try other powders (another conversation entirely) for the common calibers. So many good different powders that will work in place of the "known" powders out there. In a couple cases I never went back to the original recipes.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I think I went from my 2k primer inventory to 15k in the last two weeks. Didn’t know there was a shortage till I read it in a post here. I know I’ve have tremendous trouble finding Rem 7 1/2 and 9 1/2 over the last couple of years. No one carries Remington Primers locally or ever on stock anymore. One of our great members here sold me some the other day. I didn’t realize the 9 1/2 I bought were magnums. I have about 700 of the Regular 9 1/2’s left. I won’t be using them or the 7 1/2’s for anything accept for my pet loads I already have developed...intill I find more. I at least can work up new loads with all the CCI’s I bought in the last two weeks. My buddy in AZ said the primer inventory and selection is stating to come back in stock in his area. He has ran onto them at a few shops the last time he went into them. The same shops and stores that have had zero on hand for the last couple months. I picked up a brick of cci SP the other day at the LGS for $39.99 and figured if I can use the magnums...that no one is buying I grab a brick or two if they are still there when the store opens next week. Worst case scenario is I can always trade someone for different primers....an eye for an eye.

I have seen photos of the primer flashes on the internet. I’m am curious how much more “flame” I will have with the magnum 9 1/2 over the regular 9 1/2? No ever tried the magnum version before. I did buy a brick of LMR cci for my ultra mags the other day. I’m sure I can download to use them in my rifle ammo...the same concept as SMP in calibers that take SP primers?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-18-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Master

I fell into 10k of imported SPM’s a while back for 1 cent apiece. No perceptible difference in performance or accuracy that I can tell. BUT they don’t always ignite the charge when used in 3 of my pistols. About 10% FTF but those will go off consistently in my other pistols when retried. Not a big deal for shooting at paper. I load with CCI’s too, just use a different color label so I know which is which.
    Interestingly, I have winchester LPP’s that are marked for standard and magnum’ loads.
    Never had a FTF with them.

Boolit Buddy
    Round one standard small pistol primers
    133 gr cast Glock 19 avg vel 1131 ES 19
    Mag small pistol primers same load 1213 avg velocity 81 es
    Round 2 standard 1105 avg es 34
    Mag primers 1166 avg Velocity ES 74

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beshears View Post
    Round one standard small pistol primers
    133 gr cast Glock 19 avg vel 1131 ES 19
    Mag small pistol primers same load 1213 avg velocity 81 es
    Round 2 standard 1105 avg es 34
    Mag primers 1166 avg Velocity ES 74
    What powder were you using here?

From what I have gathered, the magnum primers are well-suited to being used with ball powders..........?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I think I went from my 2k primer inventory to 15k in the last two weeks. Didn’t know there was a shortage till I read it in a post here.
    I think there are simply more reloaders out here in the West. I haven't seen CCI SPP or the magnum version on the shelf anywhere for months. And the flippin' factory that makes them is 30 miles away.

I have plenty for the typical shortage of less than a year, but, I would feel a whole lot better with another 10,000 tucked away.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

what about useing Large Mag rifle primers in place of regular Large rifle primers
    NRA Life Member
    learn to make your own black powder collect bp arms as there presently not recorded
    smokless is a fad its fading fast, helped along by obama

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast