RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .40-40 fireform

Boolit Buddy
    A quick Internet search looks like Grant published a four-volume series. The original Single Shot Rifles has about 20 pages of Maynard info, much of it drawn from catalogs. More Single Shot Rifles has 11 pages of Maynard info, much of it discussing two special rifles and also a table of cartridge dimensions. I haven't seen the other two books in that series. If you don't have it already I would highly recommend George Layman's "A Guide to the Maynard Breechloader," which is packed with good info.
    Last edited by BP Dave; 10-23-2020 at 03:34 PM. Reason: correct misspelling

Boolit Master
    I do have Layman's book. I haven't read it all yet, but I should.

Boolit Master
    I formed these .40-40 cases from .30-40 brass, but I didn't fireform them. Just cut them to length, loaded them with 40 gr FFG, Accurate bullet, spacer rings from Deadeye Bly. They work very well.
    The rings pop off for reloading with the .30-40 dies (neck size).

Boolit Grand Master

Success! Good going, and make some more!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Somewhere I picked up a shellholder that fits the 1873 pie plate rim--it might have been made by CH-4D. It wasn't cheap, but it definitely saves the hassle of removing and reinstalling the rims. If you search for one online, just make sure what you get is for the thick rim; several outfits appear to have shellholders for the 1865 rim, which is about the same diameter, but they are cut to fit the thin percussion rims and are too thin to accept a thick 1873 rim.

Boolit Master
    The rings would not fit all the way to the rim of the case. A "belt" formed right above the rim when I sized the case. So, I filed a small amount of that "belt" off and the ring snapped in place. I also filed the inside of a ring slightly and it popped right into place. I took a piece of copper tube (1/2" diameter - it fits over the rim of the .30-40 brass) and with a little tap on the other end of the tube, the ring pops right off. Then I can use the .30-40 shell holder again. It takes about 30 seconds to file the ring (OK, more like a minute and 30 seconds), and now each ring will fit any formed case. Easy, inexpensive.
    I found out after I worked the rings that Deadeye Bly sells a shell holder at a great price.

What the heck, might as well show the 1873 Maynard. It fits nicely in that Leg O Mutton case.
    Last edited by Battis; 10-26-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Battis, I never had that “ring” form when I added my DeadeyeBly rings to some once fired 30-40 cases. I started by cutting off the cases to length (which left me somewhere about in the neck/shoulder region) then adding the rings (using a deep well socket of appropriate size.) After adding black powder and filler and a TP “cork” I fireformed them. They were then ready for “real” loading with BP, card wads, and bullets from my Barry Darr mould. In order to get sufficient powder for a little compression, these cases take about 55-60 grains of powder even though externally they match the old 40-40 specs.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    That belt above the rim has appeared on another caliber that I was forming - I don't remember what it was, though. It's also possible that it's not a "formed belt", but a section of the case that the die did not size. I tried to get the rings to fit, but no matter what I did, or how much smacking and pressuring I did, they would not slide over that section of the case. But, a little filing on the case or the ring solved the problem. I can get 40 grs FFG in the case. I'm completely OK with the forming process, the dies, the bullets, cases, etc, and especially the gun. Great gun. I'm going back to the range soon to see what I can do with targets (not just the gong).

Boolit Grand Master
    AFAIK, there were a total of five Grant books in the series, Single Shot Rifles, More Single Shot Rifles, Still More Single Shot Rifles, Single Shot Rifle Finale, and Boys’ Single Shot Rifles. I think I have the titles pretty close... my copies are packed away somewhere.

Back to your original question about fireforming brass for the 1873 Maynard 40-40, I cut the Krag cases to length (which included part of the neck and shoulder) then used an appropriately sized Craftsman deep well socket to drive the adaptor ring into place on each one. I filled each primed case 1/2-2/3 full of GOEX black powder (3f??) then finished filling with Cream of Wheat topped off with toilet paper. One firing gave near perfect forming, so I reprimed them, filled each with sufficient powder to get about 1/8-3/16” of compression, added a card wad and seated a bullet. Better than factory! BTW, the modern Krag cases give 40-60 internal capacity with 40-40 external dimensions.

As for the shell holder, either S&S or Lodgewood used to have one that fit the 40-40 cases and had a standard RCBS base. Maybe DeadeyeBly will be able to tell you. I also made a priming tool by bushing one of the old nutcracker style priming tools they used to make 100 years ago for shotgun reloading... they’re relatively cheap and common.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Whether it was a ring that formed, or a section of the brass that didn't get sized (which is the most likely explanation), the spacer rings would not fit to the base without damaging something. No big deal - a little filing and now I have rings that pop on and off so I don't need a new shell holder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12