Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: First shots with PC

First shots with PC

Thursday I took 200 rounds of the .40 cal PC coated Lee 175gr (weigh 180 in reality after coating) SWC with 100+ 200 grain TMJ's to the range with four pistols The four were:

Beretta 92X performance (modded to .40 with a 96D Brigadier slide)
    Tanfoglio Gold Team (comped)
    Tanfoglio Limited Pro
    Beretta Centurian 96D

Just to get things going I started off with the TMJ's which have historically been a pain at times... these have a nasty habit of slow / delayed chambering which I got a couple of times on all four pistols today.

Changing over to the PC Lee bullets, every round in the four pistols slipped into the chamber like it was greased. I shot at 25 feet or so, and despite the load being on the high charge side (AA#5) of the Accurate (I used FMJ data) manual, I saw no signs of pressure. The no smoke in the air experience (as compared to wax lube) was a joy. The accuracy at 25 feet was left ventricle / right ventricle which is more than acceptable so in the next few days, I am going to test for accuracy with PC at longer distance as with all four guns I have a handle on their potential. If these SWC's turn out good at distance, I may not buy the 175 TC molds I had planned on getting.

At home taking them down, the barrels on all four were very clean, inside and out, as was the overall exterior... another nicety. The exterior cleanliness is due to the AA5 which is pretty clean in 40, but I suspect my AA7 testing will be a whole lot different, AA7 is a snotty dirty powder.

Anyway, I'm impressedt. This load has minimal recoil and is perfect for IDPA stock service pistol as well as USPSA production division. Soon I'll start working up some major loads with the PC bullets for USPSA Open division. Now if only matches would start up again.
    Regards,

Gary

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    Glad you had a good experience. I was very pleased With how my bullets turned out my first time coating, and how well the powder coated cast bullets performed. Reliable anna accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    PCing is a great way to go. I don’t PC everything I shoot, but most of it these days.

Boolit Master
    I love my 9mm Tanfoglio Limited that I purchased from Patriot Defense. It had their whole package done to it and has not disappointed me at all. Imagine a non 1911/2011 that shoots the way they do for what they cost. It's not as accurate as my 2011, but it's so close and it looks so nice too.

Maybe an IFG LimPro is in my future.

Glad to see that the PC is working for you.

Boolit Master

Good to hear. I really like PC'ed boolits. Thankful for learning the "PC process" from the innovators here!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Good to hear. I really like PC'ed boolits. Thankful for learning the "PC process" from the innovators here!
    You're right, without these pages, I'd be without ammo.
    Regards,

Gary

When exactly did Powder Coating become a thing for cast bullets? It seems like a fairly recent innovation but people have had these components for years...

I'd take a guess that it was not much before the first post in the Sticky on these pages...

"a trick for tumble powder coating" where the first post was 05-03-2014. I am Sooo sorry I did not discover it back then.
    Regards,

Gary