WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: thermometer

Boolit Master

thermometer

Got thermometer today and I am wondering how to use it to it best advantage. Many pictures on the site and the web show the thermometer sitting in the pot. Can it sit like that the whole time I am pouring or does it have a time limit that it can stand the temp from the lead? I was imagining making a handle for it and periodically dipping it in and checking the temp, but that is just my imagination. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I used to use a noe thermometer. It clips on the side of the pot, and stays in the whole time. Now I use a pid, and the temp sensor stays in the pot. I fashioned a piece of wire and a crimp on connector to hold it in place. I have never heard of one that didn’t stay in the pot, at least the sensor, if it is electronic.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Got thermometer today and I am wondering how to use it to it best advantage. Many pictures on the site and the web show the thermometer sitting in the pot. Can it sit like that the whole time I am pouring or does it have a time limit that it can stand the temp from the lead? I was imagining making a handle for it and periodically dipping it in and checking the temp, but that is just my imagination. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    ebb,

you want to keep the thermometer immersed in the pot, so that you can see the current temp. No time limit . You will notice as the pot gets lower the heat will rise, so as you see it drift too high you can adjust your flame or temp knob to compensate. Poormans PID and not as accurate . I actually had several ( I worked for a company that sold them ) and I have one that I keep in our large powdercoating furnace at work to check the temp.

Make your self a small bracket that will keep the tip about 1" - 1.5" off the bottom of the pot , and just leave it there . You will want your thermometer to read a few hundred degrees higher then your melt., Also not wise to get a 750° thermometer to use in a 725° melt. Look for one that goes to 1000° and you will be fine. Ideally you want your melt to be about 60% - 70% of total range

A lot depends on the thermometer. Some digital versions you can't leave the probe in the pot. Heat rises up the probe and melts the plastic. You can get probes all metal construction that can stay in the pot.
    Most of the dial indicator type thermometers I have seen come with a clip to hold them on the pot.
    I had one like that but I didn't trust it much. I now have a PID that reads the temp and holds the pot at the temp I like.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    The thermometer is here and it is 1000 degree. It is not digital. What does ID mean?

Moderator Emeritus

I used a wire coat hanger to hold my thermometer. Worked fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44magLeo View Post
    A lot depends on the thermometer. Some digital versions you can't leave the probe in the pot. Heat rises up the probe and melts the plastic. You can get probes all metal construction that can stay in the pot.
    Most of the dial indicator type thermometers I have seen come with a clip to hold them on the pot.
    I had one like that but I didn't trust it much. I now have a PID that reads the temp and holds the pot at the temp I like.
    Leo
    I have the Lyman digital and you are correct, the heat will melt the plastic. I solved that problem by getting a couple 12" probes from evilbay.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You have a bimetal stem thermometer. The objective of the stem is to continually measure the temperature of the pot melt ... so it stays in the pot so you can raise or lower the temperatures to keep it constant. If the thermometer did not come with a spring clip as does the Tru-Tel’s, then you have to make ‘something’ to hold it to the edge of the pot
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys.