Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on 700X for handguns

Boolit Buddy

Opinions on 700X for handguns

I'm wanting to consolidate the powder locker and was considering 700X for handguns and shotguns. My current calibers are .38sp, .357 mag, .9mm, .40 s&w, .45acp, .45lc, 12g and 20g.

What is the general opinion of it?
    Cargo

Boolit Master
    I've used 700x for 38, 357 and 9mm. Worked very nicely. However, with my powder measure it did not meter well. Metering was the only drawback.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

700x was the 1st powder i used. Same here did not like how it metered. When i used up the bottle i never replaced it.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I use it too, 9mm, .45acp and .357. I will try it in my shotgun next time I load for it.

It meters ok in my Lee disk measure, about+/-0.1gn. In the 45acp using 4.9gn as target and Lee 200SWC, got 820fps avg, 50 extreme spread and 15sd.

Boolit Master
    700-X and Red Dot; both great for both handguns and shotguns. Not the best metering by any means, but I can live with it.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I too tried it for 38 and 45 many, many moons ago. I didn't like it because it didn't meter well so I went to WW230 (I said it was a long time ago). My powder or mid-range loads has been 230, later reformulated to 231 ever since.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

I tried drum type (RCBS and Hornady) and Lee "perfect" powder measure. I will get three or four drops that are within .1gr and than it would throw a .4gr curve ball! I gave up. Why bother, unless I want to weight each charge I got another 10 powders I can use. Its the worst powder for metering. I loaded in electronic measure and use it for 300 blk subsonic rounds with light bullets lots of fun and I hear its not position sensitive so I don't get high SD.

PS. I always found flakes left inside pistol barrels.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    I tried drum type (RCBS and Hornady) and Lee "perfect" powder measure. I will get three or four drops that are within .1gr and than it would throw a .4gr curve ball! I gave up. Why bother, unless I want to weight each charge I got another 10 powders I can use. Its the worst powder for metering. I loaded in electronic measure and use it for 300 blk subsonic rounds with light bullets lots of fun and I hear its not position sensitive so I don't get high SD.

That is about what I see from 700x. While the flakes are not that big, it seems like it doesn't flow as well as some powders. It almost has a grayish look compared to say Unique, which makes me think it has very little graphite compared to some other powders. It is not the worst powder for metering, not even by a long shot. Just about any old rifle stick powder is worse. 800x is even worse yet. Alliant STEEL is the worst of the worst of anything I have tried yet.

I've used 700x quite a bit in handgun rounds. It works very good in light target load applications. For the most part I'm phasing it out in favor of American Select, which seems to be 700x improved, and it meters much more reliably. 700x is a target shotgun powder, and I do still use it a lot in that role, as there is many decades of load data that can only be matched by a couple other powders.

Banned

I've used 700X in 9mm and 12 gauge and it worked well with both.

Boolit Grand Master

Many years ago, a good friend who was a reloading business (furnished reloads to various police departments, told me most of the commercial loaders had "red lighted" 700X because it was prone to bad metering. It had a reputation of serious variations. I magnified the 700X of the day, and discovered the reason for poor measurements. The powder grains looked like a "doily" - having ragged edges which caused the problem. I immediately quit using it after it failed to measure properly in a variety of measures. I have never used it since then.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    700x is a darned good choice for what you want. However, for about the same use I went with Promo.

I have used 700x, Red Dot and Promo (lower cost bulk version of Red Dot, uses the same load data) for handguns and shotguns. All functioned well and do great. All meter about the same and metering is worse with really small charges. I think Promo / Red Dot has an advantage when it comes to load data and/or the ability to get experience based info from actual use.

For most loads, Red Dot / Promo will use a little less powder to get the same velocities as 700x (slightly more rounds per pound). For the Alliant and Hodgdon products, these three plus bullseye and clays are pretty much the best for number of rounds to expect per pound.

I gave up buying small containers of powder long ago. My stash of Promo jugs is part of my plan to get through any shortage.

Promo only comes in 8 lb jugs, but you save a lot compared to Red Dot and a little compared to 700x. Current Powder Valley 8 lb jug prices:

Promo $126.36
    700x $134.00
    Red Dot $149.34
    Last edited by P Flados; 10-16-2020 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    700x is a darned good choice for what you want.
    Promo only comes in 8 lb jugs, but you save a lot compared to Red Dot and a little compared to 700x. Current Powder Valley 8 lb jug prices:

Promo $126.36
    700x $134.00
    Red Dot $149.34
    Titegroup is only little bit more $138.50 but I would pick that any day over 700x. When I just started reloading I looked at powders that required the least amount therefore more economical. Later I learned that 1lb of pistol powder goes a long way and ease of metering and consistent ammo is more important than trying to save few bucks. I am not loading pistol ammo on single stage press with a trickler LOL! Progressive press with case and billet feeder!

I am ok with stick powders for a rifle and single stage, I won't be blasting a ton of .308 but for mass 223 production I switched to ball powder.

If there was nothing on the shelf - 700x would be my last choice. I was lucky to get Win 231 in a trade and wow this thing meters very consistent! I loaded 1000's of 9, 40, 45 and 38spl, for 357 I use H110/W296 for max velocity with FMJ

PS. Speaking of all these powders makes me want to go and reload some ammo I got this couple 1lb cans of this spanish powder $10/lb to try. Worked fine, clean burning and single digit SD, a little bulky for 9mm though but should be perfect for 38SPL, the guy wanted to sell $8/lb if I bought all 15-20 cans. I didn't, that's OK, got more powder than primers anyway

Last edited by dimaprok; 10-16-2020 at 01:34 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dimaprok View Post
    Titegroup is only little bit more $138.50 but I would pick that any day over 700x. When I just started reloading I looked at powders that required the least amount therefore more economical. Later I learned that 1lb of pistol powder goes a long way and ease of metering and consistent ammo is more important than trying to save few bucks. I am not loading pistol ammo on single stage press with a trickler LOL! Progressive press with case and billet feeder!

I am ok with stick powders for a rifle and single stage, I won't be blasting a ton of .308 but for mass 223 production I switched to ball powder.

If there was nothing on the shelf - 700x would be my last choice. I was lucky to get Win 231 in a trade and wow this thing meters very consistent! I loaded 1000's of 9, 40, 45 and 38spl, for 357 I use H110/W296 for max velocity with FMJ

I take it you you have never tested metered 700x vs metered titegroup? I'm not saying titegroup is bad, but I have never been impressed with it one bit. 700x, even with .4 grain swings shoots better than titegroup in most cases for me.

Since the Op specified for handguns and shotguns, I would not recommend titegroup or 231. While there is some titegroup data in 12 gauge, it is very limited. I'm not aware of any 231 loads for shotguns. There are a lot of powders the pull double duty very well, and 700x is near the top of that list. American Select is right up there, as is Red dot. Even Green dot could suffice.

It will work in all those cartridges. I first got started on 700x when it was sold as surplus 50 cal. blank cartridges. So in addition to all those cartridges, it works as a blank powder to simple fill that cartridge case and applied a card wad. Enough pressure that the primer doesn’t back out.
    I went through about 8 lbs. a year when my son was on a trap team. I still use it a lot in 45 acp lead bullet for subguns, 12 and 20 gauge. 38-40, 44-40, 44 special, 45 colt cowboy loads. 9mm lead bullet loads. It works for reduced lead bullet loads for .357 and 44 magnum.
    I don’t use it anymore for 38special as my lee auto disk doesn’t meter well below about 3.6 grains, which would work for 38 but I use bullseye, 231 and Win 540 for 38.
    Did I say I like 700X?

Boolit Master
    I have just used up a 8 lb jug of 700X with 9mm, .40 S&W, 38 spl .44 spl & .45 acp. I load on a Dillon 550 and didn't have much more than a .2 grain swing and shooting off hand properly didn't make any difference.

How any powder meters depends on the powder measure and the skill of the reloader as to how consistent the press is operated.

I am now using Alliant Sport Pistol and get less than .2 grain swing.

Boolit Master
    Have been using 700X since the 1960s when I started loading shotgun shells with a Lee Loader... Also loaded tons of .38 Special and 9mm with it...zero issues...

Since it is not the type of powder I "top-end" with the fact that it isn't the greatest at metering is of no concern.... And since my favorite power for every caliber I own is Unique, and we now how badly that one meters", 700-X is just fine...

Bob

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Doesn't meter well, but good practice powder which is usually cheaper than others. Seems to produce more recoil and fouling than others too.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up two bottles today, so now it's time to experiment. Thanks for the info and opinions, this is a great community.
    Cargo

Boolit Master

700X meters well thru my old Redding drum measure but not for diddly-squat from either of my Dillons...an upgraded 450 and an SBD with factory measures. Years ago, however, I discovered that the issue with small charges of 700X from slide-type adjustable measure of the 450 seemed to be the shape of the cavity. Back then, I was shooting a lot of IPSC/USPAS-style competitions and going through 20K-25K .45 ACP a year and had quite a bit of 700X on hand from shotgun loading. Thinking about the problem (I know...that can often be dangerous!) I milled a strip of bar stock to match the thickness/width of the Dillon charge bar and made up a half-dozen blanks without cavities. Then, I drilled a test cavity in one of the blanks and reamed it (by trial & error) to drop the charge of 700X that I needed. The round cavities - beveled lightly on the upper side and polished inside - dropped 700X +/- .1 gr. until my on-hand 700X was exhausted. Also made up bars for AA#5 and Unique but haven't used any of them since getting an SBD with tooling for .45, .38/.357, and 9mm.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Interesting discovery.

I have an adjustable charge bar for the Lee Auto disk so I tried using it with Blue Dot. Normally Blue Dot with a disk (round cavity) does just fine. When the adjustable bar was set to the charge I wanted the shape of the cavity was oblong. Charges varied by half a grain or more. Went back to the std disk and it was throwing +/- 0.1gn again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast