MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Beef shoulder pot roast

Boolit Master

Beef shoulder pot roast

I love pot roast. I had a chuck and a shoulder roast in the freezer, decided on the shoulder. Got my goto pot stews and roasts, a Lodge 6 qt. made in the 1930s, with scallops on the bottom. Browned the roast up good and then put it in the oven. About 90 minutes ago added new potatoes, carrots, and rutabagas. Can't wait for supper!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    A fabulous dinner made even better by the vintage cookware adding the excellence of cast iron and the long history of the pot. There is just something right about using an almost 100 year old pot. Sometimes adding V8 makes for a wonderful gravy terrific to scoop up with bread.

Boolit Master

About half way through, put in a pack of store bought gravy mix in 2 cups of water. The juices and fat from the meat and veggies made a nice thin gravy. The V8 sounds good--have to try that. More vegetable and some tomato never hurt a roast I've had. Thanks.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Moderator Emeritus

Chuck roast with roasted potato and carrot is my favorite chilly fall day meal!

Boolit Grand Master

Pot roast with vegetables cooked in the oven is The Best !
    The flavors and gravy can't be duplicated .

There's a recipe called "Mississippi Oven Pot Roast" that's a winner .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

im lazy and cheap. My shoulder roast is a front shoulder off a small whitetail and i do them in the power pressure cooker. Take them out of the freezer toss it into the pressure cooker still frozen. Cook for an hour drain off the fat redered out to that point, then toss in taters and carrots and onion and a large can of cream of mush soup and a pack of lipton onion soup mix and about 3/4s cup of water half and fire it off for another hour or if its in the morning put it on the crock pot setting and let it go all day. Meat about falls apart and your gravy is already made. If you want it falling off the bone tender but want that oven taste then just thaw it and brown it before you start and do the second cooking for 30 minutes. For beef roasts (that i rarely do) i dont worry about draining off the fat and theres no need for water. But a bone in shoulder roast to me will always taste better then a rump roast without a bone.

Boolit Buddy
    Now that some serious grub

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I did my first beef pot-roast on the pellet grill.
    It turned out great.

Boolit Buddy
    I have some homade sour dough bread that would go good with that to sop up the gravy...........................Curdog

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by curdog View Post
    I have some homade sour dough bread that would go good with that to sop up the gravy...........................Curdog
    Oh, yeah.

Moderator Emeritus

Did a chuck roast Saturday. I injected it with 1 cup water and enough Johnny's and garlic powder to look good then let it rest for 4 hours. It went in a dutch oven for an hour @350 after which I added an onion, double handful of red potatoes and a few carrots. An hour later internal temps were 167 so I opulled it and let it rest for 5 minutes before carving. Just good food.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

My Wife makes the Greatest Pot Roast.
    And She does it all on TOP of the stove.
    Chuck Roast that melts in your mouth, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, onions.
    With a thick rich gravy that sticks to it all.
    Made in a big old Magnalite pot.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I used to have some of my grandmother’s iron cookware. Unfortunately, they were lost in my divorce. My Ex said she didn’t know what happened to them. I’m sure she took them to the antique dealer along with a lot my other stuff she had no right to. What I miss the most are the two big skillets with really high sides. I’ve never seen others like them for sale.

Yummy! I'd ask for some photos of the completed roast, but I'm sure there's nothing left to take a picture of!

Boolit Buddy
    I love my mothers chuck roast (she's gone now) Found out after many years she got it off a Cambell's Cream of Mushroom soup can. Still the best. Cut up the roast and Brown the chuck roast pieces. Add in lots of large onion pieces, a package of dried french onion soup mix and two cans of the regular Cream of Mushroom soup (the white ones not the brown ones). Low heat for about three or four hours until the meat is soooo tender. We love it over egg noodles.