Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is home made shot good for hunting?

Boolit Master

Is home made shot good for hunting?

You bet it is! On opening day for turkey here in Ohio I went out with a couple of home rolled 16 gauge rounds and a WWII era Winchester Model 12 choked full and sat down in my deer blind. Less than 2 hours later I had my turkey tag filled out. Dropped a big hen turkey at just under 20 yards with a single shot that almost removed her head! Those #6 shot were really effective even on a tough bird like a turkey. And the best part is that that load is the same one I use for skeet! 17#s dressed. Henrietta never knew what hit her.

Boolit Buddy

Nice all the way around - classic gun, classic gauge and home rolled! Need some pictures or it didn’t happen
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Master

Here ya go!

Tried 3 times. Picture doesn't want to upload. Its a jpeg file too.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Here ya go!
    Wow, you really wasted that bird. Nothing left of him to see.

Boolit Master

Here ya go!

Tried 3 times. Picture doesn't want to upload. Its a jpeg file too.
    jimb16,
    If you're trying to upload a jpeg that you took with your digital camera the image is probably too large for the site software to handle. I use Microsoft Paint to reduce the image size to 25%, then it uploads perfectly.

From the thumbnail image, right click and a pop-up menu appears. Select "Edit". This opens the image in the MS Paint program. Under the "View" menu at the upper left, select "Resize". Backspace thru thr "100" values and enter 25 instead. Save the image as a jpeg. Now it will upload here without issue. Hope that helps. Now let's see that bird!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

YES
    Well done
    They also work GREAT for doves, really drops them
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Size isn't the problem. I already resized it because I knew that was a problem. I'll try to reduce it further though. Always worth a try.

Boolit Master

FINALLY!

Wasn't a size issue. Had to upload to Imgur first then link to it there.
    Last edited by jimb16; 10-16-2020 at 05:36 PM.

Boolit Master

Another pic

Boolit Master
    Very nice, all around! Those M12s in 16 are wonderful, truly hits like a 12 and totes like a 20! Homemade shot has taken lots of birds, looks like you’ve added to the tally with a nice one too!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Man, you use 6 shot for SKEET? If you tell me you're shooting International I'm going to throw my shotgun stocks in the fireplace
    Regards,

Gary

Banned

I've been shooting a lot of 16 gauge lately. Haven't actually started reloading for it yet, though I have all the stuff. I closed out an old trap shooters estate a while back and had a bunch of factory shells plus a bunch of his reloads (yeah, I know, he clearly marked the load data on them and I checked, haven't had a problem).

16s are addicting. I have several now. The one that has been getting shot the most is a little Stevens 5100 double I have grown to be very fond of, it turned cool here and the leaves have dropped enough that I might have to go squirrel hunting with it this afternoon.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I've been shooting a lot of 16 gauge lately. Haven't actually started reloading for it yet, though I have all the stuff. I closed out an old trap shooters estate a while back and had a bunch of factory shells plus a bunch of his reloads (yeah, I know, he clearly marked the load data on them and I checked, haven't had a problem).

16s are addicting. I have several now. The one that has been getting shot the most is a little Stevens 5100 double I have grown to be very fond of, it turned cool here and the leaves have dropped enough that I might have to go squirrel hunting with it this afternoon.
    Abso-bloomin-lutely! All those senior-age guns still want to go out and have fun too! Go get 'em!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

FINALLY!

Wasn't a size issue. Had to upload to Imgur first then link to it there.
    That bird should feel honored to have been downed by such a fine classic shotgun. Kudos!

unknown

My dad would buy a case of Win Mark 5s #6 12g shells every fall. That’s what we used for everything from birds, ducks rabbits and squirrels. 6s pattern nice out of most full chokes and don’t fill game with a zillion shot like 7.5s do. Dad was trap shooter and bought AAs by the case too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any deficiency in pattern will not be significant at 20 yards unless the shot is very bad. It is akin to shooting blemished cast bullets at 7 yards...almost anything will work.

A pattern at 40 yards is a better measure of shot quality.

But good enough is good enough. You have a turkey and the pride of making the kill with shot you produced.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Way to go, home rolled is always better! Turkey just in time for turkey day
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

I know this addiction well, I even recently picked up a 5100 at the last gun show. I have a Stoeger in 16 which feels like a heavy clunky club compared to the 5100.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Master

I shoot American Skeet with that full choke 16. I occasionally shoot International with it using the same loads. It ain't the gun. It ain't the loads. Its the shooter that makes the difference!

Boolit Master
    !!! Another International skeet shooter!!! I thought I was the only one who enjoyed shooting it with a pump. Shot my Skeet-C 870 in competition till they decided pumps were an unfair advantage Still shoot them in Vintage Skeet.
    My 16ga M12 hasn’t been out in a while, you have motivated me to shoot it more , thanks. It makes a great woodcock hunting companion.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast