WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XRF Gripe

Let me start by explaining the history of why I started this testing and what has happened since:

There was a huge thread discussing the age old wives tale about Tin oxidizing and being scraped out of the mix. Guys were convinced that if they used the wrong flux, they could deplete their Tin from the pot. The discussion proposed raising enough money to pay Rotometals a huge sum to test 20+ samples. Thats when I stepped in and said I could test. I ran some tests at 900F, XrFed them and found NO DIFFERENCE in the Tin content.

I then offered to perform testing for members here. I needed the lead. Our members wanted the tests. Win-Win.

I learned a few things over time:
    1) It only takes a small amount to test. - 1/8" sample is plenty.
    2) Flat samples give the most accurate and repeatable results. (Same sample measured at an angle will give very different results.)
    3) Oxidized samples are not 100% accurate. - I scrape the sample with a blade right before I test the sample.
    4) You guys send a lot of samples - Imagine carrying 20 ingots in my bag to work. No Thanks + They have to have a flat spot added also.
    5) The machine has to focus on each sample. I have to get the focus close before it will do this. Small flat samples focus more quickly. (they are all about
    the same distance from the analyzer.)
    6) I need your screen name. Not your email, not your phone number. I want to keep all of the XrF info on this sight, not my work or personal emails.

Now a few things have changed for me since I started this:
    1) I have been promoted a couple of times. I went from ~50 people to ~150 people reporting to me. This is great, but it is very time consuming. There is no "kicking back" at lunch time and testing samples. Samples do not get tested until everything else is done and its not so late that I have to go home before the Mrs. throws supper out.
    2) This year has been nuts. My job is considered essential, so I have not missed a day since all this began. I have had lots of people in and out with the virus. While a lot of the world stayed home, we had to figure out how to keep up production with much less help.
    3) Earlier this year, we found land in the country. It is what we had only dreamed about. The price was great, and we jumped at it. The only thing is, NOTHING has been done on it in 20+ years. I have bought a tractor and bush hog and have been working on it every weekend. We hope to build a house in a couple of years.

In short, I no longer need the lead, (Thanks to you guys and my own scrounging.) and I do not have the time to do the testing.

BUT - I do want to help this community and this is something many of you have used. In general, you guys have been good to work with. Most of you send a few samples and send more lead than is requested. I don't want to quit, but I have to enforce my sample methodology or i will not be able to continue.

Finally:
    ANY type of lead is fine. I preferred pure for a while, but I have a healthy supply of all the above, so I do not care. I want lead not money. This is not my equipment, and I do not want any conflict of interest concerns with my employer. (My boss is the president and he knows I use the XrFs for my own purposes. - not for profit!)

"BB" size - Just cut a corner off the ingot you want tested with wire cutters. OR - Drill into the ingot with a 1/4" drill. Those filings work well. I flatten each sample and scrape it with a blade prior to the test.

LABEL THE CARD THE SAMPLE(S) is on!! This is the single most annoying and difficult thing to deal with.

Thank you to all who apologized, I was not looking for that.

BNE

6) Multiple samples on the same card take much less time to process.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Bravo BNE! Your service here does your character great credit. I haven't used your service yet but greatly appreciate that you are here offering it. I was a chemist at one time and things have come a long way from room sized carbon arc spectrophotometry to today's analytic techniques. You fine gentlemen who make up this outstanding site are the biggest reason I lurk. That and the free doughnuts on Saturday.
    Looking for USGI M1 and carbine rifle parts, please PM me.

class guy, thanks so much I will abide be your list and print it out so I will remember maybe thats been my problem anyway thanks you for the service.
    bruce

That and the free doughnuts on Saturday.

Oh I missed out again rats, have to set the alarm.

Thank you BNE for your valuable service . . . but . . . ¿ Where do we mail the samples?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Thank you BNE for your valuable service . . . but . . . ¿ Where do we mail the samples?
    I’m not posting my home address out in the open!! PM me.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Grand Master

BNE, you have tested several samples for me and I hope that the way I sent them to you was what you wanted. I just used a hacksaw and cut a small corner off of the ingot. These were taped to a card giving any info about it that I had.

I am very appreciative of this service. Thank You very much.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    BNE, you have tested several samples for me and I hope that the way I sent them to you was what you wanted. I just used a hacksaw and cut a small corner off of the ingot. These were taped to a card giving any info about it that I had.

I am very appreciative of this service. Thank You very much.

That works just fine. Thanks

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master
    I just used a sharp wood chisel to chop out little hunks from the edge of an ingot, just takes a couple quick taps, we’ll see how that works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12