Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 223 Lyman 225415 and woodchuck

223 Lyman 225415 and woodchuck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64952D78-64D0-49C8-B6CD-F4F57A051474.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	269442. About 2000 FPS and unique powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice!

Boolit Master
    Good job! I'm always looking out my window, to see if any woodchucks show up in our backyard. We live out in the country, no close by neighbors

Way to go! No woodchucks here but I've had fun with cast bullets and Unique taking care of mud turtles with my 22-250. Time to load up some more! Tell us about your rifle, please.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Colt/Sako 461. Sweet little action just for 222, 223 cartridges.

Banned

Nice.......you gonna eat that?

Banned

What kind f accuracy do you get with that combo? I have done cast in .22 Hornet very successfully for squirrel loads for 25 yards and such, never tried it for 2000 FPS, I've been thinking about giving it a try in .223.

Off the top of my head, it’s about 3/4” at 50 yards. I may be close to 2100 FPS with 7.8 grains unique. I was happy when I finally got this rifle but sad when 5.56 55 grain bullets tumbled out the barrel. I am going to start low velocity with jacketed and work my way up to see what velocity my groups open up. I have an extra barrel for this rifle but the current barrel has sharp rifling. It does like this cast bullet though. I even tried plain base 50-55 grain jacketed bullets at 223 velocities and no luck. I have soak the barrel with copper cleaner and no luck.

I have posted pictures of my Colt I-22 mag. and dead woodchucks here a couple of years ago. 22 mag. hollow point dropped them in the tracks. 223 lead bullet probably didn’t expand much and he tried to get down his hole.

No, I am not going to eat this. I left him in my rural subdivision ( 1 acre back yard) and something hauled him off for dining. Lots of coons, vultures, coyote, crows, fox and bobcat here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Off the top of my head, it’s about 3/4” at 50 yards. I may be close to 2100 FPS with 7.8 grains unique. I was happy when I finally got this rifle but sad when 5.56 55 grain bullets tumbled out the barrel. I am going to start low velocity with jacketed and work my way up to see what velocity my groups open up. I have an extra barrel for this rifle but the current barrel has sharp rifling. It does like this cast bullet though. I even tried plain base 50-55 grain jacketed bullets at 223 velocities and no luck. I have soak the barrel with copper cleaner and no luck.
    As I recall the the Colt/Sako 223 Rem I worked with back in the early '70s had a 14' twist, same as the one in 222 Rem. M193 (5.56 w/55 gr FMJ wouldn't shoot in it either. Found the Hornady 50 gr SX and the 50 gr Sierra Blitz (not to be confused with recent tipped Blitz Kings) over 26.5 gr H335 shot superbly. If your Colt/Sako is, indeed, a 14" twist then a well cast 225415 over a bit slower burning powder can be driven very accurately upwards of 2500+ fps. However, no arguing with your success....well done.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I use the same boolit in my .218 Mashburn Bee, a CPA rifle, I'm pushing it 2400 fps and it is deadly to out past 100 yds and groups around 1 " at that range. We shoot gophers here by the hundreds and I could not afford to do it using the newest jacketed, monolithic, ELC, bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    As I recall the the Colt/Sako 223 Rem I worked with back in the early '70s had a 14' twist, same as the one in 222 Rem. M193 (5.56 w/55 gr FMJ wouldn't shoot in it either. Found the Hornady 50 gr SX and the 50 gr Sierra Blitz (not to be confused with recent tipped Blitz Kings) over 26.5 gr H335 shot superbly. If your Colt/Sako is, indeed, a 14" twist then a well cast 225415 over a bit slower burning powder can be driven very accurately upwards of 2500+ fps. However, no arguing with your success....well done.
    Larry, thank you so much! I am going to a gun show this weekend and will look for those bullets. Are those plain base? I know the 222 rem. normal bullet weight was 50 grains. And heck yes, I’ll increase Lyman’s 225415. With jacketed, what velocity should I stop with the 50 grain bullets? Thanks.

Boolit Master
    That weapon, sir, will Kill. (shamelessly stolen quote)

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Larry, thank you so much! I am going to a gun show this weekend and will look for those bullets. Are those plain base? I know the 222 rem. normal bullet weight was 50 grains. And heck yes, I’ll increase Lyman’s 225415. With jacketed, what velocity should I stop with the 50 grain bullets? Thanks.
    Yes, they are both Flat based bullets. Over the practical range of the 223 Rem I've found not any real meaningful difference a BT or even the ballistic tip give the bullet. If you see any 55 gr Hornady SXs you might want to try those too.

A couple years ago I was shooting PDs in Montana with two 223 rifles. In one I was using the 55 gr SX and in the other the Sierra 55 gr Blitz King (BT ballistic tip). I was shooting 300 to 500 yards and never noticed any difference in accuracy (hits) between them. However, the SX gave better terminal affect....

I had a Rem 788 and rechambered a few to 223 all with 14" twists and all did very well with the 40 to 55 gr flat based bullets. Cast bullet too BTW.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I found some rem. 22-50 grain HP bullets from Midway, flat base. The RCBS cast bullet handbook used a colt sako 223 for its data. They went as high as 8.5 grains unique with its cast bullet and about 2150 FPS. Using slower powders, they dint go above that speed but the RCBS bullet is 55 grains. They said it’s gun had a 1-12 twist. I’ll use a cleaning rod and a patch to see what twist both of my barrels have. I should be able to come up with something that works. I do remember using the 52 grain match bullet with no success though. Hopefully my barrel isn’t bad.

How do you cook your woodchuck?
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Master

Great picture
    NOW, a victory dance
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and Congratulations !! The photo is a dandy !
    Popping groundhogs with cast is a fine way to keep them in check.

Young groundhog. Two hours in the pressure cooker to de-fat. Then BBQ any which way you like. Eat them hot off the cooker. Tasty !!!
    We do not eat the old 30+ pounders as there are plenty of youngers ones.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

My wife cooks them in a cast iron pot with some red wine and onions. Not sure what else, but it is delicious. They are pretty good grilled, too.

Any animal that eats grass makes good eating. We boil to remove excess fat - just like a porcupine. Then the meat can be cut off, sliced or served whole. Try stuffing with bread dressing and roasting. Did that with a moose heart once. Wonderful. The more fruit like apples you put in the dressing the better. Nuts, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast