Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange borescope images from my Marlin?

Boolit Master

Strange borescope images from my Marlin?

Hi, hope I am posting this in the right place...

I recently bought a borescope. Cool toy!! Anyway, I have searched all over, and not found any examples of bore-scoping that can help explain what these images of mine show. It is a 1984 Marlin Model 995 .22 rimfire. I bought it used; it was about 3 or 4 years old when I bought it.

So I borescoped it with my new toy, and found the posted images. The marks in the rifling are in both the lands and the grooves, and extend from the beginning of the rifling, all the way to the muzzle. I am somewhat new to gun smithing (and borescoping), but I cannot imagine what made these marks, grooves perpendicular to the rifling, and all the way to the muzzle. The marks seem to show wear; as though they were there from the factory and have worn down from shooting use. What could have caused this, and will it affect accuracy???The last two pics show the muzzle end, which as you can see looks terrible, so I went ahead and cut 1/2" off the muzzle and did a new 7 degree crown with a protection relief.

This has always been used to shoot cans and bottles, and to let the kids use, so I can't say exactly how the accuracy has been. But I was hoping to use it to hone my accuracy skills, shooting groups. What do you all think?

Thanks!
    Vettepilot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap_012.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	269419Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap_013.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	269420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap_014.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	269421Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap_015.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	269422
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Buddy
    How does it shoot?

Boolit Master
    Tool chatter during rifling...stick slip. My guess

Boolit Grand Master
    My guess is those are marks left by the last reamer pass before it was button rifled.

I've never looked at a small arms barrel with a borescope. The only time I have ever personally looked at a borescope image was when we had SIMA borescope our 5"/54's.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have a couple Marlin's that show reamer marks after the Micro Groove rifling button passed thru. It is just a rough reaming job before rifling. Fire polishing helps smooth it. Accuracy can be excellent with jacketed and cast. Jacketed will copper foul very quickly but kept clean, accuracy can be good. Cast boolits work just fine in these rough barrels. Both of mine are Marlin 336C's - .35 Rem. You will see a lot of reamer marks in the grooves of older factory barrels but the Micro Groove Marlins also show up on the lands.

Very cool! Thanks for showing us!

Boolit Master
    I recently bought a Teslong bore scope, it is a nice toy. Some of those nice bright bores can look different under bright lights and magnification. I have milsurps that look better than some new factory rifles. It is not unusual to see reamer marks in an accurate barrel. Marlin 22's usually shoot very well.

It is fun to look but the bottom line is how it shoots. I once had a Swede with a visibly pitted bore but strong rifling that outshot my other one with a nice bore.

Dave

Boolit Master

Looks like the reamer picked up a chip.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I agree with tool marks .
    I would shoot it for real and see how bad it is . If it's minute of pop can at 50 yd it's probably good enough for the kids to lay waste to armies of cans .

I think I would defer from fire lapping as with a rim fire there's no adjustment to fit the bore . Maybe if you're really set on a repair effort a brass jag could be reduced to bore dia and used to lap just the top of the lands for improvement .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Others have given this advice already. It's how the barrel shoots that matters. Don't get hung up on remnant tool marks left from the manufacturing process. Most barrels aren't as smooth as we envision or as you would think just looking down the bore by eye. Getting a bore scope is kind of like getting a peak into the kitchen and learning how the sausage is made. It may not be pretty but so long as it shoots (or tastes) good...

If you are intimately familiar with barrel manufacturing, (granted most people are not), you can play detective with a bore scope and examine tool marks to infer what manufacturing process was used to rifle the bore. Cut rifling, button rifling, hammer forged, and ECR all have unique patterns of tool marks. All that matters from a practical standpoint is how a barrel shoots, but if you are an engineer or forensic examiner type the toolmarks can be quite interesting.

To the original poster. Your rifle will shoot just fine. Enjoy shooting it.

Boolit Buddy
    Seems like the micro rifling button chattered,, and got worse as it went.
    If it was from the bore reaming before the rifling,, how did exactly matching corresponding chatter end up in the grooves ?

It looks like broach or button chatter. Both rifling metodes use a single pull or push through operation.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Tool chatter when made. Not much to be done now. Hopefully it shoots decent.

Banned
    Hey if it shoots ok forget about it/////////////////////////////////////////

Boolit Master
    Ok, thanks for the responses. As mentioned, the marks show some wear; they've been polished down by the passage of god knows how many projectiles. It might shoot ok, especially since I've done a nice crown job on it. I will go ahead and do my trigger job on it, then see how it shoots. I was thinking of treating it to a new Boyd's stock, but I think I'll wait now, and see how it shoots first!! Since it's a .22, it will be all lead boolits; which is good as I don't think j-bullets would play well with those grooves.

It's a somewhat interesting gun. It's a Model 995, which study has revealed is supposedly a kind of upgraded Model 795. It does have nicer sights than the 795, a wood stock, etc. But curiously, it does not have the Micro-Groove rifling.

Thanks again,
    Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    To those interested, the pics are from the 50 dollar Teslong Borescope, and I didn't even fine tune the focus nor the light setting for the pics; just snapped them. I'm VERY happy with it. Best gun accessory buy ever!!

I found apps, and an adapter cable for my particular phone and tablet and it works perfectly on them as well as my laptop. You can bet it will be with me if I go to buy any used guns!!

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Here's the crown job.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201012_133408.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	269487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201014_181533.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	269488

Hmmm.... strange but I can't get the pic with the lathe spider I made to post right side up!

Vettepilot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20201011_151112.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    LOL,,, I've had that issue more then once !! Bet you had your phone upside down...

Boolit Master
    No. The pic is upright on my computers; it just posts here upside down. I tried uploading it twice. Same thing both times.

Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Id suggest the marks arent reamer ,but rather drilling without any reaming ,one operation cut out to lower production cost.......funny thing is I get all kinds of advertising material from deep drilling manufacturers claiming their drilled holes have x microinches finish,reaming not necessary....Id say Marlin pushed their drilling feed rate beyond the limit ,to increase production .......Not all the evils at Marlin come from the Remington takeover ,it seems.