RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Very strange brass i came across.

Boolit Master

Very strange brass i came across.

I bought a bunch of brass from a retired reloader. There is a small bag of brass. The length of 9mm. But the outside diameter is .374 vs a 9mm at .388 unsized. The case mouth instead of a straight edge. Looks like it was rolled in. The edge is slightly rounded. And the head stamps are bare. Sure has me stomped.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    38 colt heelbase cartridge might be that diameter. Not sure about length.

Banned

Any pics?

Boolit Grand Master
    380 auto or 38 super or 38 auto? Rimmed or rimless?

From an old reloader you could find a lot of strange things.

Boolit Master

The bottom is rimed with a groove. Definitely not 380 or 38 super. I load those. I'll get some pics then too. I looked up the 38 heeled colt. It's close to that i think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8364.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	269439
    Last edited by BigAlofPa.; 10-14-2020 at 08:13 PM.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds a lot like the paint marker cartridges that were made for force on force training. Think paintballs on steroids. I don't remember the name for the system right now, but they used special slides and barrels for pistols, and maybe uppers for M16's.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

The roll on the front indicates its a blank of some type. Could be a line thrower or some type of actuator.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Ahh cool thanks. I'll put them in my casing display.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master
    Yes, definitely a blank of some kind.
    Maybe 38 S&W blank or 32 S&W blank.
    They are not super old (i.e. not from the 1800's) since there is a grove just in front of the rim.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1590408

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Interesting. The first thingI thought of when I saw the photos as well was "blank".

I see you live in "coal country" - any chance that they might be connected with mining - such as a blank to detonate a charge?

Boolit Master

Good question Billy. I had some dentnators in the past. They resembled a copper firecracker though. Im going to have my son ask about them. The guy i got them from. His son is one of my sons buddies.
    One round at a time.

Boolit Master

Those look like the blanks used in the old bimetalic triggered seltzer bottle fire extinguishers. We had a ancient house that had about half a dozen of them on the door frames. I assume that when the strip melted, the spring pulled the little capsule with the blank into the side of the bootle, shattering the bottle and when it did the firing pin set off the blank as an "alarm". These must have been very rare, cannot find a google image of one with the blank capsule.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	269479
    Last edited by mattw; 10-15-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Boolit Master

.38 S&W blank

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Look like movie blanks.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

From the burnish on the case body and the burr roll looks like they were cut of with a small pipe cutter. May have used shoulder neck for a small powder funnel or drop tube in a powder measure.I have cut off wsm cases at the head for drop spouts in lyman measures. almost a perfect fit in the measure.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's a blank for a starters pistol.
    I have a rusted pistol and a few blanks.

There also were some heavy duty nail/anchor bolt drivers that were 32cal and 38 cal ..haven't seen or heard of them in years but Remington made the munitions for them in the 50's, 60's 70's and they came in various power levels that the card wad the roll crimp held in were color coded red, green, blue and yellow ..the .38's could drive a 1/2" anchor bolt 3" plus into seasoned concrete

Bear