Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission problems

Boolit Master

Transmission problems

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500. Had it for years and today the wife pulled up in the driveway. Truck wouldn't go in park. I drove it down the road for a mile or two and it wouldn't hardly shift out of first to 2nd gear.
    Any ideas what is wrong/

Banned
    Same thing happened to my 1996 Silverado a few years back. It’s probably in “Limp Mode”. Transmission clutch packs are probably shot. You will need to find a reputable transmission shop to diagnose it.
    R/Griff

Boolit Grand Master

Well park and drive are two different things. Park is a pawl that locks a gear in your transmission. Fluid level or any transmission problem as far as clutches, or fluid circuits go should not effect park. This might sound dumb, but the first thing I would do is make sure there isn't a problem with the linkage. I've seen where either cables/connectors have broke, and even the linkage on the steering column itself has rusted out. If you go underneath as someone shifts (on flat ground, and wheel chocks of course) watch which direction the bracket on the tranny goes to park. I think it is forward. If you then push on the bracket on the tranny, and get it to go farther forward, you know there is a problem with the linkage between.

Boolit Master
    I did check the fluid level and it was ok. Next i crawled under and checked linkage. Linkage is ok. i even moved the steering column up and down and checked to see if there was something stuck in the column.
    I've been reading and i read something about limp mode where if there is something wrong with a sensor that the computer won't let the transmission shift. So hopefully i won't have to drop 2 or 3 grand on a new transmission

Banned
    I had a 1997 with a V10 and auto transmission that started to act up at highway speeds. Snooping around on YouTube I ran across a video that discussed a lot of the problems of these years. They were caused by the computer wire to the transmission that is routed over the alternator. Over time they start picking up RF interference that sends mixed signals to the transmission. Re-routing the wire and wrapping it in tin foil solved that problem.
    I hope yours is that simple.
    Ken

Boolit Master

Park is a mechanical operation. If it won't go in to park take it to a shop. you don't need it rolling away and someone getting hurt.

Banned

Park is a mechanical problem. But Chryslers have a problem with the 3 sensors that control the speed of the trans. You have a input speed sensor. It is the one the nearest to the motor. Then you have a output speed sensor. This will be on the rear part of the trans. Then you have the actual speed sensor that controls the shifting and speedometer. It should be on top of the rear differential. You should have some type of code showing in the computer and on the dash.

Be careful removing them as the bolts will snap off in the trans and the diff. Just went through this with my 02 Jeep Liberty. Mine turned out to be the diff sensor. One thing that did help to get it to work was to put the trans in park(ya I know) then such off the car. Let it sit about a minute then start it back up. Mine would then shift normal.

Boolit Master
    So i am getting a little hope that this is a smaller issue and not a replace the transmission??

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have a ton of experience with Dodge trucks, but vehicles of these years should have a mechanical link to park. As far as I know, even 2020 auto transmissions are this way. If the linkage is actually pulling the bracket all the way, then the problem is internal to the transmission. The shifting could be another problem, but I wouldn't even worry about it until I figured out why park wont engage. To really feel, you have to disconnect the linkage to the transmission. There are cables and bushings for the linkage that can wear, so even if you didn't see anything broke, it can still not be working right. I seem to remember these even being adjustable. Unfortunately I do not believe you can see the parking pawl with the pan removed. I believe it is in the tail housing. I've never seen a bad pawl myself.

Boolit Master
    Expect the worst. But be happy if it is not that.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    i will stick with manual boxes .

Boolit Buddy
    1996 was the introduction of OBDII for Dodges. Even if the 'Check Engine' light is not on, see if it throws a code. Turn the key from the OFF position to the ON ( but do not start the engine ) three times. OFF-ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON, then wait. The check engine light will start blinking. Count the blinks, and that is the code number.

Boolit Master
    Well i bit the bullet and called AAMCO and the guy said it was something broke inside the transmission. He said probably fixable and i wouldn't need a new transmission. So i had a tow truck come and get it and hauled it in to the transmission shop

Banned
    Good luck.
    Hopefully they won’t have to send that tow truck back over to fetch your wallet, too.
    R/Griff

Boolit Master
    Though I have rebuilt and repaired my fair share of auto trannys over the years they are just one of those things that sometimes it’s just better to bite the bullet and turn it over to the pro’s.

The good side is that it is likely that if a replacement is necessary it’s likely a common trans and probably readily available.

Hopefully the shop is good, we have a local independent who is top notch. He doesn’t have to advertise, just by word of mouth he is always got a waiting list.

An honest shop is a rare and wonderful thing!

Banned

Transmission problems

I had a master transmission mechanic rebuild mine several years ago. He added extra clutch packs and a Corvette servo. Drilled out a supply-side port too. It can bark the tires shifting into 2nd but I don’t push it, seeing as it has 302,000+ miles on the original engine. My truck is old and grey just like me. I bought that thing when I was 28, am 50 now & still driving it every day.
    R/Griff

Any updates on what was wrong with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yep band broke. Ended having the transmission rebuilt from seal to seal
    Up and running again

Banned
    Glad you got it sorted out. Sometimes a rebuild is the only option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast