RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: S&W 642 with IMR Target

S&W 642 with IMR Target

I made some loads for my 642 using IMR Target and the Lee 158 RF powder coated. Weight comes out to be 161 grains.

Seated to the crimp groove. Heavy roll crimp. OAL comes out about 1.433"

I used the Lee pro disk with the 4.3cc hole, and on my digital scales I am getting anywhere from 3.8 up to 4.0 grain throws.

Put some across the chrony yesterday and was averaging right around 700fps.

Recoil seemed fine. Bonus is it shoots to point of aim with the fixed sights (some other loads I had shot were shooting pretty low).

Going off Hodgdon's website, their 158gr loads with a lead boolit top out at 3.9gr with Target in the standard pressure, and 4.3gr (with the 158gr XTP) in the +P category.

I have no desire to consistently shoot +P through this gun, but this load seems to be spot on for it. I know it's impossible to know for sure apart from actual pressure testing, but does the above data indicate that I am in significant +P territory? I have read a lot on others with the 642 and when they talk about +P loads with a 158gr projectile they say you really notice it because of the lightweight of the gun. It just did not seem to be that significant of recoil to me, and 700 fps seems to be about what these snub nose revolvers average with 158gr loads - maybe even a little on the low side if anything. I did have one shot go across at 742 fps.

My thoughts are that since its a slicked up powder coated boolit, then maybe I am just at the top end of regular 38 special pressures with this load. Plus it shoots dead on at 7 yards which is what I have read the 642 sights are regulated at for 158gr loads.

Thoughts?
    "Education is not the learning of facts, it is the training of the mind to think" - Albert Einstein

Think about it...

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think you're straining your snubby.
    Last edited by pettypace; 10-16-2020 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Grand Master
    Given that you are getting "3.8-4.0" grains, your average is probably right there at the top of standard velocity 38 specials. I would not worry about it, save that I might pay a little closer attention to my powder charging and I would check every 10th charge just to be sure I was getting what I wanted. But if I found that I was getting nothing over 4.0, with the majority under that, why I'd shoot 'em up as fast as I could load 'em.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Owning a copy of the Lee bullet myself, I suspect it has a shallower bullet seating depth when crimped in the groove than many if not most 38 bullets of comparable utility. This may help alleviate pressures and lower velocity slightly compared to similar weight alternatives.

This from observations I have made versus other 158s.

Thanks guys. I did not even think about looking at seating depth relative to the other loads I had shot, but that does make good sense especially with it having a bevel base.

On the powder throws, I always check them every so often and that's why I mentioned that I saw a 4gr throw in the mix. Being a flake powder, Target seems to meter decent, but still has some variance. They majority of the throws are around the 3.8-3.9, but I always "assume" that they could be max.

The way I determine that is to shake/tap/wiggle/etc the powder measurer to get the powder to settle as best I can in the disk to see what it could throw if all the stars aligned just right. In fact, according to Lee's data sheet, .43cc is only supposed to throw a 3.6gr charge of IMR Target. Which, if I just place a shell in the holder, gently raise it up, and gently let it down - it does indeed throw a low charge like that. But, if you raise/lower it fast, bump the measurer, etc - it can settle the powder in the disk more and it throws a higher charge.

Under normal circumstances, I don't care if a charge is .3gr or so difference in most of my pistol calibers. But with it being such a short window with this particular powder and being as it is an aluminum framed gun, I have more trepedation.

Like I said, most everything points to the load being fine, but still thought I would run it by you guys who shoot this particular boolit in the snub nose to see.

On a side note, even being a little snub nose double action, this thing is a hoot to shoot. Although I had to watch myself because I picked up my Ruger NM Blackhawk in 41 mag to shoot right after shooting the little 642 and going from that really heavy trigger pull to the single action pull caught me off guard at first. Good case for always having a gun pointed in a safe direction before your finger gets near the trigger!
    "Education is not the learning of facts, it is the training of the mind to think" - Albert Einstein

Think about it...