WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 50 Caliber Adventure

Boolit Buddy

50 Caliber Adventure

Deleted for being too dumb to bother the cast bullet forum with.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 10-15-2020 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Stupid Question

What sort of experience it is depends greatly on the barrel's twist rate. Figure out what bullet it wants and the rest isn't different from anything else.

Boolit Buddy
    Well Nobade, with an answer like that it looks like I shouldn't have bothered the forum with my dumb question. I'll just ask Shiloh from now on and delete this when I can get around to it.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Well Nobade, with an answer like that it looks like I shouldn't have bothered the forum with my dumb question. I'll just ask Shiloh from now on and delete this when I can get around to it.

Dave
    The answer given was the correct one ,the reply from you not so much/Ed

I’ll reply to this because I like talking about my 50.

If you have Shiloh with a 1x22 you’re going to need a 600+ grain bullet and if it’s a 1x36 a 473-550 grain bullet.

I have a c. Sharps and it has a 1x26” twist barrel, I’ve shot bullets as low as 493 grains to as high as 675grains, the best group was with a 600 grain .492 PP bullet swaged by BACO. It was just about 3” at 200 yards.

As yo can see there’s lots of variables to consider when talking about the big 50.

I don’t shoot paper, just steel at 2-300 yards with barrel sights and I load my ammo to Sharps factory specs 100 grains of 1f, wad, lube cookie, wad and a PP bullet that runs 570-590 grains due to my faster twist rifling.

I’ve used a BACO 650 grain bullet mold, a KAL Gibbs bullet mold and BACO swaged bullets. All of them have worked. I found my BACO mold was a little small at .492 and ordered my KAL to drop at .498.

I found that my rifle will shoot the Lyman 515142 530 grain GG bullet very well if you are interested in A GG bullet

Dave, I don’t remember exactly what you wrote or asked, but there are a bunch fellas here that know the 50 and can give good advice.

Dave,
    there is nothing wrong with what you asked.
    I think you said it was an original percussion slant breach. I never had a slant breach but I did shoot a 63 for many years and I'm sure that your ROT will be the same slow twist my 63 had.
    The weight of the bullet is immaterial because that will change with the type of Ogive your using, Gov. round nosed, flat meplat, or blunt elliptical they will all weigh different cast the same length.
    The bullet lengths were around 1" to 1/1/16" and the ring tailed would weight from as low as 335 to as much as 473 but mostly at 425 gr. 1-1/16" long wrapped with linen or rag paper.
    Enjoy that rifle, it will make a fine deer rifle.