RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Buying a trapdoor

Buying a trapdoor

I found a 1873 trapdoor in 45-70 online and am working on negotiations to make the deal what are some things on these rifles that would make them inoperable or unsafe to shoot? I’m not looking for a historical master piece just a good shooter, will only use bp loads with it. Y’all have way more experience with these than I do so let’s hear it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

In all BP era rifles bore and chamber condition is key. Outside of that just a complete rifle that locks up and functions.

Boolit Master
    TaylorS,
    The Model 1873 has a Poor rear sight for shooting.
    For a shooter, what you want is a Model 1884 Springfield. Pretty much the same rifle as the 1873, but
    the '84 will have the
    Buffington rear sight which is a LOAD better than the sight on the 1873 model.
    It is easily adjustable for both elevation and windage.

The 1884 also has a stronger breech block.
    as said, look for one that has a very good bore.
    beltfed/arnie

Banned
    The most important thing is to slug the barrel and see what diam. It is as it may be 458 or even 462 or larger. Get a bullet to match to the diam of the barrel and don’t make it too hard. Then you can shoot the gun with very very good accuracy. Wiping between rounds takes seconds and it help with accuracy. Just on damp patch pushed only once through the barrel after each shot and a bullet to match the bore size of you gun and you in like flinn.have fun.

Boolit Master
    A couple of books I suggest you get if looking at Trapdoors.
    The 45/70 by Joe Poyer and Craig Riesch and
    Loading cartridges for the original Springfield rifle and carbine by J.S and Pat Wolf.
    Whenever I’m looking at a trapdoor I have Joe Poyer and Craig Riesch book with me.

Boolit Grand Master

Suggest, if buying a "shooter" you go for condition, condition, condition making sure that all is in working order and not broken, Also, bore condition should be very good [bores with minor frosting can be very good shooters] to excellent [no frosting, pitting or muzzle wear]. Buy the rifle, not the story.......

As to issue sights I prefer the M179 rear sights Type II which allows some windage adjustment when on lowest setting. It's the sight I put on my H&R Officers Model. Never found the M1884 Buffington rear sight to be that useful in my walk abouts with the TD. The Buff is great for the target range though.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    I found a 1873 trapdoor in 45-70 online and am working on negotiations to make the deal what are some things on these rifles that would make them inoperable or unsafe to shoot? I’m not looking for a historical master piece just a good shooter, will only use bp loads with it. Y’all have way more experience with these than I do so let’s hear it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Buy this book:

Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine by J.S. Wolf / Pat Wolf

This is the bible for loading/shooting the Trapdoors. The work you find in there is a result of many years and rounds shot through Trapdoors. It will confirm a few and dispel many rumors.

The .45-70 Springfield by Poyer and Riesch is also a good read.

There are others but these two are gems. Especially the Wolf book. Funny how every place you go, everyone you talk to that shoots the Trapdoors … and shoots them in competitions … point straight to this book. It provides the "How To" and more importantly the "why" in making these guns shoot well.

I am about to buy a trapdoor as well and am all set up to load it based on this book and many hours of talking and swapping emails/texts with shooters of "The Old Warhorse."

Also, visit the Trapdoor Collector website. Lots and lots of valuable information. I have talked to him a couple times. Great guy with many, many years of trapdoor collecting and shooting experience. OH … he'll tell you if you don't have the Wolf book, buy it.