RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Vintage Canadian Ammo (CIL)

Boolit Bub

Vintage Canadian Ammo (CIL)

Spent some of my early days on my Grandparents farm in Southern Manitoba - what a wonderful place for a young boy !
    Old farm house had a Summer kitchen about 16 x 30' with a big old wood cook stove where they used to feed threshing crews back in the 20's and 30's. Just inside the back door was a gun rack. As a young boy, I was so fascinated by that gun rack. Rifles, shotguns, drawers with mags, loose shot shells, bullets, Duck calls, crow calls. They tore down the old farm house a few years ago, I got the gun rack (empty), I've been trying to make it look like it used to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0040.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	269402

Name:	PICT0044.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	269403

Name:	PICT0046.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	269404

Name:	PICT0048.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	269405

Name:	PICT0049.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	269406

Name:	PICT0051.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	269407

Name:	PICT0052.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	269408

That price sticker is from Rimouski Quebec, that box of 20 was $3.98 Canadian $. Somewhere on one of those old boxes it says " printed in Canada 1952".

Boolit Master
    I certainly remember shooting those Whiz-bangs, I thought I was unstoppable with those.

Boolit Buddy
    Back in the early 70's I was visiting my cousins on their ranch in northern Utah. We were shooting 22 rifles and my cousin was using CIL brand cartridges. Told him I had never seen or even heard of them back here in Kentucky. He gave me 2 boxes which I brought home and put up. Saw them a couple of weeks ago in an ammo can full of old cartridges. Most people around here still don't know who CIL is.

Boolit Buddy
    There is quite a bit of the old CIL, Dominion and Imperial ammo coming out of the woodwork these days. At the gun shows there was always boxes for sale. These days it is all online auctions and there is a regular stream of 1950's - 1980's ammunition from the estate sales. For myself, I buy it as shooting ammo. If I can get it for a good price ( well under a buck a shot)and it looks to have been stored right, it can be a great deal compared to the price of new ammo.