Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: 44 SPL the RCBS 44-250-KT and VV N110

Boolit Grand Master

44 SPL the RCBS 44-250-KT and VV N110

44 SPL VV N110 & the RCBS 44-250-KT

It was requested on a couple other 44 SPL threads that I pressure test VV N110 with a “Keith” bullet in the 44 SPL if I could. Ranchman, in particular, was interested because he had been using 17.5 gr N110 in his 44 SPLs under the RCBD 250 Keith bullet and a 265 gr Arsenal cast bullet. Said he has “shot thousands” using 17.5 gr in his Colts w/o any problems but had yet to find any load data for N110 in the 44 SPL.

I did not have any VV N110 because I had never tried it in any cartridge. I have always wondered how it would do in the 30 Carbine, 32 H&R, 357 magnum and the 44 Magnum as VihtaVuori says N110 is “comparable to H110 and 296”. Alas, a check with the LGS’s only got me a “deer in the headlight look”…… However, Ddixie884 came through by very graciously sending me a pound of VV N110. Many Kudo’s to Ddixie884!

The high heat [been running 115 – 125 the last three months here] finally began falling off allowing me to conduct the test. I had 10 shot test strings in Starline 44 SPL cases primed with WLP primers with the RCBS 44-250-KT cast of COWW + 2% tin, sized to .430 and lubed with 2500+. They weighed 254 gr fully dressed. I had the tests loaded with 16.0, 16.5, 17.0 and 17.5 gr VV N110. The bullets were seated to the crimp groove and a medium heavy crimp was applied with the RCBS seater die.

Test firearm was a TC Contender with a factory barrel that had been shortened to 8.4”.

Attachment 269361

A strain gauge is fixed to the barrel over the chamber at the SAAQMI prescribed location for piezo-transducer pressure measurement. The test barrel has been calibrated/ verified using Hornady factory 240 gr XTP ammunition of which the pressure for that lot was known.

I had intended testing last week but the hammer spring broke during the testing of some Herco loads….. So yesterday with a new hammer spring I was off to test again. The temperature during the test ran 85 degrees +/- with a 10 % humidity. Targets were at 50 yards.

Test results;

The 16.0 gr load of N110 ran 1256 fps, SD 28 fps, ES 75 fps, psi 19,900, group 5.9”

The 16.5 gr load of N110 ran 1286 fps, SD 26 fps, ES 72 fps, psi 21,700, group 4.5”

The 17.0 gr load of N110 ran 1305 fps, SD 18 fps, ES 57 fps, psi 21,900, group 3.1”

The 17.5 gr load of N110 ran 1337 fps, SD 13 fps, ES 36 fps, psi 23,400, group 1.75”

As we see from the internal ballistics and the on target results VV N110 obviously requires 23,000 psi +/- before it burns efficiently. Once it got there the results were indeed very impressive. Appears to me the 17.5 gr load Ranchman is using is a particularly good and safe +P load in the 44 SPL.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

WOW Larry, That is some great data. Thank you so much for doing these and the other ladder tests. You take away so much of the guess work from our hobby. It is so nice to know what the real pressure is on our pet loads.....
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Man
    I don't doubt that many, many readers of my recommendation for that big 17.5gr load under 250-260gr bullets the last number of years have had me pegged for a crack pot, but your results verify what I expected from the beginning. That 17.5gr load with those bullets is a proven, consistent, dependable one. And I've long said if there were a powder & a load to match or exceed the performance of our age old infamous Elmer Keith 2400 load, and do so at an even lower pressure, then this VvN110 load would be the one. Now the numbers prove it for sure.

Can't thank you enough for the equipment and your testing. Hats off & very much obliged.

You fellas should see what 16 can do under a 255 in the 41 special! ha ... my go to bronc-stomper load in that caliber Although a story for another time. N110 is likely THE most underrated, high performance modern-powder of our time far as my opinion goes. There isn't many powders on the market that can expand the high-end boundaries on these favorite for carry, special-length calibers and do so as easily inside a safety margin quite like N110 does ...

Again, excellent & very worthwhile undertaking Larry .. great job

great info
    thanks

I've always wondered if my dixie gunworks SSA clone ( uberti) 44sp. was strong enough for those kind of loads???

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master

I think the Uberti SAA has the larger diameter cylinder, like the USFA. Have your cylinder tested for Rockwell C hardness if in doubt..............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Hello Larry,

great testing here, thank you. What is your bullet length and cartridge OAL? I got curious and ran a Lyman 255 in Quick Load,getting in the 20 k psi / 1200 fps ballpark.

VV N110 is an old friend but loading 44 Special with it has never occurred to me. I have 44 Special brass, I let guests (especially women) shoot my magnum revolvers with factory Specials. I never loaded a single 44 Special round. But now that we have Bore Tech Carbon Remover, all that Special brass might find a new life with N110.

Sorry for the pic quality,you get the idea.

Boolit Master

Thanx for the simulation...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Over the years I seemed to find that the most accurate loads in .357 and .44 mag were stiff loads of slow burning powder. Now a days I don't go there with my hand loads but your results would seem to suggest that. I'm too fond of my Smith 24-3 to try that load. 7 grains of Unique suits this shooter.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Hello Larry,

great testing here, thank you. What is your bullet length and cartridge OAL? I got curious and ran a Lyman 255 in Quick Load,getting in the 20 k psi / 1200 fps ballpark.

VV N110 is an old friend but loading 44 Special with it has never occurred to me. I have 44 Special brass, I let guests (especially women) shoot my magnum revolvers with factory Specials. I never loaded a single 44 Special round. But now that we have Bore Tech Carbon Remover, all that Special brass might find a new life with N110.

Sorry for the pic quality,you get the idea.

With the RCBS 44-250-KT the bullet length is .763" and the cartridge OAL was 1.580". With the Lyman 429421 the bullet length is .776 and the cartridge OAL; was the same 1.580". As you can see from the picture (Lyman on left, RCBS on right) the Lyman bullet seated .038 deeper into the case than the RCBS bullet. In pistol cases that always increases pressure with a given load. In another recent post on another thread with the 44 SPL loaded with both bullets using Herco and Unique the deeper seated Lyman bullet gave higher measured psi than the RCBS bullet with the same loads.

Attachment 270048

As I mentioned numerous times regarding Quickload and the older Powley systems; they are an educated guess of the psi. The "education" is based on the accuracy and completeness of the inputted data. I'm not implying your data is incomplete nor accurate, just stating the general facts. Even with the most accurate and complete data input they are still guestimates. I have used both of those system/programs and found them, as compared to measured psi, to be sometimes close and sometimes not so close. The problem with the guestimates is they do not or can not take into account the inconsistent variables of the powder ignition and actual burn rate in the cartridge/firearm.

The variations of the variables when it comes to the psi actually generated by a specific set of components can be greater than many, if not most, expect or understand. That is why every loading manual tells use to start low and work up watching for pressure "signs" especially if a change of components is involved. While the reloading manuals list "maximum" loads the advise to "work the load up" means that with some components or a different lot of those components sometimes, in some firearms, the psi will be different than expected or tested to be.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 10-24-2020 at 10:43 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    That is funny how bullets change. I have the RCBS 44-250-KT and the Lyman 429421 and they don't look like either in the photo.
    Of course leave it up to me to notice that. I have an RCBS 250 KT that doesnt look like the last one I bought.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post

As I mentioned numerous times regarding Quickload and the older Powley systems; they are an educated guess of the psi. The "education" is based on the accuracy and completeness of the inputted data. I'm not implying your data is incomplete nor accurate, just stating the general facts.
    Agreed.

Combined with a chrono, QL has been quite useful to me because I've been limited to Vihtavuori powders. It took many years to get official VV 500 S&W data, for example. That was almost 20 years ago, I'm still building new bullets in the database.

Here is an interesting NEI 44 bullet I'm working on now.

Boolit Master
    VV N110 often works best when slightly compressed. Very low velocity spread.

I wanted to add a little Quick Load note:

QL can not predict a gun's condition. This particular relatively new S&W revolver has .4285 throats so my 431 bullets give more velocity/pressure than QL suggests. (Yes I'm waiting for a reamer from Brownells,the barrel is .430")

This same 335 grain ammo chronoes slower than QL estimates when fired from my 29 with .432" throats, a big gap and eroded cone.

Boolit Buddy
    VV N110 often works best when slightly compressed. Very low velocity spread.

I wanted to add a little Quick Load note:

QL can not predict a gun's condition. This particular relatively new S&W revolver has .4285 throats so my 431 bullets give more velocity/pressure than QL suggests. (Yes I'm waiting for a reamer from Brownells,the barrel is .430")

This same 335 grain ammo chronoes slower than QL estimates when fired from my 29 with .432" throats, a big gap and eroded cone.

That's some good looking stuff there my friend!

I shall think about some N110 for .44 specials. I came across a very good deal on some 255gr SWCGC bullets that are just a bit long to go through my .44 mag lever action.

So far loaded over 2400 but I think I have more bullets than powder with the 2400 so might end up with VVN110.

Boolit Buddy
    I am a fan of the vv N110 and N120 for my 357 maximum rifle. I will be trying some loads in 44 magnum revolver (s&w 629-15 5” revolver).
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I've not tried N110 with cast bullets but it has given me some good results with 240gr Nosler JSP out of my lever action.

Scrummy

Boolit Master
    (Yes I'm waiting for a reamer from Brownells,the barrel is .430")
    I've used the Manson reamer with the full set of pilots. I cut a section of 44Mag brass built up with .001" tape to fit the chamber, to support the rear of the reamer. The specification for the reamer is .431" plus up to .0005"

This time I used an Acro Lap and diamond paste. No tooling marks. Similar formula as yours, .429" throats over a .430" groove.

Thank You for the thread! I put VV N110 on my list.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.