MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: looking for adapter for powder measure stand

looking for adapter for powder measure stand

bought an new lyman stand for my old powder measure. so the powder measure has 1/2" fine ,?, threads and the stand is 7/8x14 . lyman makes a adapter but i may not live long enough to get one. Back ordered for an unknown time. so i am reaching out. any ideas.

Boolit Master
    Same adapter you need to run true line junior, or 310 dies in a standard press. I’ve seen them on fleabag tons of times. Just look for 310 die bushing adapter. I only have one, and use it all the time otherwise I would send you one.

I really hate freaking auto correct!
    Last edited by poppy42; 10-13-2020 at 07:28 PM. Reason: I really hate freaking auto correct
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ironjaw View Post
    bought an new lyman stand for my old powder measure. so the powder measure has 1/2" fine ,?, threads and the stand is 7/8x14 . lyman makes a adapter but i may not live long enough to get one. Back ordered for an unknown time. so i am reaching out. any ideas.
    Hi ironjaw,
    That should be easy to print using a 3D printer...I'll be happy to do it for you for the cost of postage. I'll send you a PM.
    Ed

Boolit Master

One on ebay right now.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    The thread size for the 310 tool and the Tru-Line Jr. press has always been listed as 5/8-30.

Boolit Master
    Lathe

Or take a soft 7/8 bolt, center drill it in a drill press and tap the hole 5/8 or 1/2. Double check the size.

5/8-30 is a standard size, I looked it up and taps are available. Must be ultra fine. Fine is 5/8-18.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 10-13-2020 at 09:47 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Lathe

Or take a soft 7/8 bolt, center drill it in a drill press and tap the hole 5/8 or 1/2. Double check the size.
    Great idea, but it won't work as the Lyman threads are 30 tpi. Special order tap is very costly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Great idea, but it won't work as the Lyman threads are 30 tpi. Special order tap is very costly.
    $17 and I just started looking. https://drillsandcutters.com/5-8-30-...caAmDIEALw_wcB

I did some research before posting.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

well everyone is "out of stock" may just cobble something together. thanks for all the help, be safe watch yer six.

Boolit Master

If you don't want to buy a 5/8x30 tap, drill 7/8x14 bolt to 5/8 inch, drill and tap through the side for #8 or #10 setscrew and use a lead pellet between the set screw aon powder measure thread. Since it is to hold a powder measure, precision can be just so/so, lathe not needed. Could be done on a drill press.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Banned
    The Lymasn thread often called 5/8x30 is actually .6075x30. It is an odd size. I cannot remember which, the tap or the die is extremely expensive, while the other is and I believe the tap is affordable.

yes, this is what i will do. sometimes the simple evade us old buggers.

Boolit Master

TEN DOLLARS !!!!!!

THEY COST TEN DOLLARS NOW !!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you didn't save the one that came with the PM when you bought it. Check your "junk" box.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Good luck

Boolit Grand Master

For a powder Measure only bushing ( where there isnt near as much force. A 7/8" 14 bot can be cut off and drilled out to 11/16 left a rough drilled hole. Leave it shorter than the threads on the measure. Coat measure with several coats of wax, you need to add some size so the threads have a little clearance when epoxy is cured. As you insert the measure into the hole coat with JB weld epoxy the bottom has to be sealed with tape or clay to hold epoxy in.. when into depth remove any excess from top with acetone and q-tips. let cure then lock 2 7/8 14 nuts on thread and break lose remove from measure.Not a super strong thread but for a powder measure will last along time, especially if it isnt removed often from the measure.

You need to use a few coats of wax since the epoxy will be size for size when wet and have some shrink when it cures. The threads will be snug and tight when first done but will loosen with use.

You could do this in 2 steps and a nut set nut on a board as hold in place with nails using the shanks tight against the flats and heads to hold it down. center a hole thru it and a dowel or rod and insert that wax inside of nut rod and board. fill gap with JB watch and fill gap until it stops shrinking filling. fill this slow from one side so air can release. When cured remove from nut and rod rough up bore and repeat with powder measure.

I do this to form the threads in wood stands I build. It works well and makes a very tight thread. Its a way to make threads where they normally can be made easily.

You could easily make a dedicated stand for this measure from hard wood and do the threads in this manner

You know we may be able to 3d print one.......

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cant you just get 2 big washers and drill hole out if you have to so lyman fits thru it and use 2 nuts , one on top then washer then one washer on bottom then another nut and tighten them both.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got an extra. Where are you in Arizona?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    Thank You Larry.