Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: Lube recommendation needed

Lube recommendation needed

Try as I might, I can’t get my Star to run clean. I can’t seem to get the pressure and temperature combo adjusted so that the groove fills, and there’s no excess lube on the nose of the boolit. It’s as messy as the old “up-down” lubrasizers working a 358429 cast boolit. I’ve been using White Label Lube Commercial 160 (www.LsStuff.com) based on info posted on this forum.

What have others had success with regarding lube in their Star?
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master
    either your punch needs adjustment or you have too many holes open, oh...on your die. Some boolits have a slightly small ring above the crimp and lube can pass there and end up on the nose, you prolly need to seal off that set of opposing holes.

I use Magma lube for most of my handgun bullets, and even some rifle bullets.

Make very small adjustments with the top punch. You can also use the method suggested by Magma for adjusting the top punch.

Here's the link: https://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-star-lube-sizer/ There's a video near the bottom of the page describing how to adjust the top punch.

There's also a drawing on how to measure it in the Star Manual on page 4.

Here's the link to the manual: https://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

The same applies to the heater base. Make small adjustments and then give it time for the temperature to stabilize. It doesn't take much adjustment to make the lube either too hot or too cold.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Had the same problem when first starting to use a Star. Took a while to get the groves in the boolits to line up with the holes in the size die. Then I found that it did not take very much heat or pressure. It seems to work best when the bottom of the Star is just a little warm to the touch. Mine is wired into a dimmer switch so the temperature can be controlled. The reason for the pressure screw is to keep the plunger cavity filled. The plunger is what pushes the lube into the lube groove. It does not take much pressure, I find that the pressure screw only needs to be turned down 1 turn every 10 to 15 boolits.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback.

I also use Magma for my bullets. Exclusively.
    I have a Midway heater that I have had forever hooked up to the base of the Star.
    The Magma lube is temperature sensitive.....aren't they all?
    Pressure and temp are the 2 things to watch - assuming of course that you have the holes lined up properly.
    I just did a run of some 1500 H&G #331's and had a little dollop on the side of the nose. i thought no big deal, I'll just wipe the excess off when I reload the cases.
    WRONG!
    I loaded them all then had to wipe each and every one after turning the nose through a little propane torch.
    Man, i will NEVER make that mistake again.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have been using Randyrat's Tac-1 that I mad from a kit he was selling . I put too much carnauba in it and hooked up a makeshift heater. A 25 watt oil pan heater with a dimmer switch.
    It works like a champ, not much heat but keeping the pressure to a minimum is a must.

Well, I figured it out. Short version is... much less pressure + medium heat = success.

One of those "aha" moments! I'm glad you got it figured out and now that Star will make your life easier. You'll be amazed at how fast that little machine can size and lube a whole big batch of bullets.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by 468 View Post
    Well, I figured it out. Short version is... much less pressure + medium heat = success.
    Good for you. Once you get the hang of it, you will wonder how you ever did without it.
    I struggled for MONTHS with mine before the balance came in.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.