MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: anyone else think Super Blackhawks aren't great

Boolit Master

anyone else think Super Blackhawks aren't great

was cleaning our 2006 super blackhawk 44mag and got reminded how many things are finicky with it. the loading gate likes to close leaning slightly and catches a ledge not fully seating and sometimes pops back out to that spot when shooting. the hammer pull makes the transfer bar run into the bottom of the firing pin so you almost have to point the gun in the air to cock it so gravity hold the transfer bar away from the firing pin. the trigger dont reset until you take pressure off the hammer since its holding the transfer bar which needs to move for the trigger reset. ive had to shim the mainspring and keep it clean and oiled to reliably set off rounds, bit of dust on the hammer and it falls too soft.

really wouldn't trust it to save me if a bear wanted to eat me. my SRH is great function wise ive never doubted one of its functions. but SBH im confused how everyone has high opinions of them cause most of these seem like design problems.

Super Moderator

I've not had any of the problems you mentioned with mine. Over the years the only things I needed to do was replace the hammer spring, and I replaced the base pin with a Belt Mountain pin. The original base pin would start slide to out under recoil. Other than that, it has been extremely reliable.
    Last edited by ShooterAZ; 10-13-2020 at 03:00 PM.

I’ve had one for about 60yrs, still got it and it has never failed. Carried it twice for bear protection and it worked perfect. No bears came around. Just the sight of the SBH scared them off!Attachment 269334

Boolit Master
    Your situation is why I prefer to buy minty older revolvers. Got a SBH a couple months back that was all but new. Made in 1987. Cost $570 all up and it has zero issues. Ditto with a 1983 24-3 and a 1956 K-38.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen a lot of blackhawk, and super blackhawks, and lots more of Rugers with transfer bars. Of what you list, the only problem I have seen was the sticking transfer bar. It is simply too thick. The blackhawk design has stood the test of time, it is a great design. None of those are design problems.

I think it baffling that you would keep such a revolver in that state. You could send it to Ruger, and they would completely fix it free of charge. On a gun that old you would likely have to pay $25 shipping there, but they pay it on the way back.

Boolit Master

In 50 years of super blackhawks I have never had an issue.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I had a SB back in the late '80s. Problem free, and extremely accurate. I let a best friend talk me into selling it to him, with the promise that he'd never let it go. Next time I saw him he had traded it to his son-in-law for an older SB that he had originally gifted him. Haven't owned one since, but I do have a Seville which is almost the same thing.

Boolit Master
    I bought a SBH many decades ago. I never had any of the issues you had but I just did not like the pistol. For my small hands it is too large and too heavy. I know it is built that way for a reason but it is not far me. It should have been called the Ruger Dragoon. A coworker offered to trade me an early three screw Black Hawk 357 and give me some money to boot. I made the trade and I still have the Black Hawk. I like to be able to carry a pistol in a holster on my hip. The SBH is just too big for that. I have a S&W mode 29 that is more comfortable to shoot than the SBH.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Vendor Sponsor

Have you contacted Ruger customer support about these issues? They tout themselves as being the BEST in the business, and if you butter them up on the phone and list ALL of what you just listed here, they may nicely send you an RMA, especially if the gun does not cock, that's on them and they know it, so that alone would get it sent back in, and most often they will send the brown truck by with a pre printed label to pick it up from your residence.

They have fixed several over the years for me, and nevre charged me a DIME, not even for shipping both ways! One of my Vaqueros they transformed into a birdshead for nothing!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The original base pin would start slide to out under recoil.
    That is why I got rid of mine, then found the aftermarket fix too late.

It was one of my worst shooting handguns.

I have owned exactly two. They were 100% reliable and quite accurate. I don’t like the unfluted cylinder, the grip shape, or the long barrel only option. I switched to the .41 Magnum Blackhawk and never looked back - even when they came out with a 4-5/8” SBH. My 2018 made .41 Blackhawk is as well made as any of my old ones, ( and better finished than some) so if I had one like the OP has, it would already be on its way to Ruger for fixing.

Boolit Buddy
    I miss my SBH. I bought mine used at a pawnshop for $299 and shot it as often as I could afford to. It was the first revolver my girlfriend, now wife, ever fired. I ended up trading it along with a holster and six boxes of ammo for a puppy for my future in-laws. The only thing that softened that was how much joy it gave my father inlaw.

My SBH was 100% and the only issue I ever had with it was keeping it fed.
    Cargo

I've experienced the loading gate issue with a 357 blackhawk. There is a little tab inside the gate that had a burr in it. I slightly rounded it's edge and the problems went away.

Having the base pin plunger stick will cause the transfer bar to not clear the firing pin.

I certainly would call Ruger on it. Most Ruger new model single actions function perfectly. The only other issue I've ever experienced is a stuck hammer plunger. Not sure the correct name, but it unlatches the lock. Gun will lock up if that sticks. The fix is to remove it and clean the plunger and hole and polish the hole some.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a little confused. Is the base pin plunger the button you push to pull the pin out? If so, how does that effect the transfer bar? Also related, how could the base pin's walk out on these under recoil? I've shot some strong loads, and I've never had it happen to me.

The base pin plunger is on the transfer bar end. It's a spring loaded teat that pushed the transfer bar away from the frame a bit so it doesn't catch on the firing pin.

Boolit Mold
    Bought my first and only SBH 31 years ago, I still have it. It was stolen from me and used in two robbery’s and I got it back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Only problem I had with my 74 gun was had to replace the hammer. Of course, this was after about 15,000+ rounds thru it.

Banner Sponsor

If you are firing Heavy bullets at max+ velocities, then the base pin can walk out. It just cams the horizontal latch out of the way and wonders on out. The fix is a Belt Mtn base pin that has a screw to lock it inplace. The only thing that I don't like about dealing with Belt Mountain is that you have to mail in your order. Other than that they are great people with a great product.
    If you look at the new 5 shot Bisleys in 454 and 480, they have a screw on the base pin to lock it in place.

I agree that it might be best to send it back to Ruger to have them fix everything on the list.
    Then when it gets back, install the Belt Mtn base pin.

Boolit Buddy
    My 71 SBH is great....except I sorta wish it was a .41, or a .327.... or something. my 77 Old Army is just about as good. OTOH, my brand spanking new sp101 is a hot mess. maybe there's just "bad years"
    --
    Shoot more!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have owned exactly two. They were 100% reliable and quite accurate. I don’t like the unfluted cylinder, the grip shape, or the long barrel only option. I switched to the .41 Magnum Blackhawk and never looked back - even when they came out with a 4-5/8” SBH. My 2018 made .41 Blackhawk is as well made as any of my old ones, ( and better finished than some) so if I had one like the OP has, it would already be on its way to Ruger for fixing.
    Um, the Super is available with a 4-5/8" and 5-1/2" barrel also; the latter also has a fluted cylinder. Both have the standard 'plowhandle' round trigger guard grip frame. You can also easily install a Bisley grip frame.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast