RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Anybody shoot Colt new Service in 44-40?

Anybody shoot Colt new Service in 44-40?

I seem to have small cylinder mouths and large bores in both of mine. What is anybody loading for bullet diameter?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I'm using Accurate 43-206H cast 1 to 30 tin-lead from Roto Metals, sized .430" with 6 grains of Bullseye. Full charge load. Do not exceed!

Attachment 271993Attachment 271994Attachment 271995
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I'm using Accurate 43-206H cast 1 to 30 tin-lead from Roto Metals, sized .430" with 6 grains of Bullseye. Full charge load. Do not exceed!

Attachment 271993Attachment 271994Attachment 271995
    What year is your revolver? The one I have been working with is very early...I think 1901? When I shoot anything larger than .427 (cylinder throat diameter) I get high pressure signs even with modest loads. Alos lots of leading as the undersized bullet skids down the barrel. My gunsmith suggests I ream the cylinder throats to bettter match bore size... but I figure there has to be something that Colt had in mind that works ....

Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    What year is your revolver? The one I have been working with is very early...I think 1901? When I shoot anything larger than .427 (cylinder throat diameter) I get high pressure signs even with modest loads. Alos lots of leading as the undersized bullet skids down the barrel. My gunsmith suggests I ream the cylinder throats to bettter match bore size... but I figure there has to be something that Colt had in mind that works ....
    My New Service is 1920, the single-action is 1905. Rather than reaming, suggest you send the cylinder to DougGuy for honing. The Sunnen hone produces a much better result with truly round throats of uniform size and with better surface finish than you would get with a chucking reamer. Very affordable and fast turnaround. He's done several for me and for many others here.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Sorry but both of my dash caliber NS’s are .38 WCF. One’s from 1916 [4.5 in]and the other from 1928 [7.5 in]. Hope you figure out your old Colt.

Boolit Master
    I've got a New Service 44-40 from 1903, checked the cylinder mouths with pin gauges and get .428.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Cylinder throats on both of my Colts are .429-.430ish. Barrel groove diameters are .425 in the 1905 SA and .427 for the 1920 New Service. I shoot .430 bullets in both. Same loads shoot well in my 1920s Spanish El Tigre with .425 groove, 1930s Winchester '92 which is .429 and 1993 Marlin 1894 which is .430, as well as in my old small frame H&R .44 Garden Gun for which John Taylor made a rifled .44-40 barrel for using a leftover Marlin Microgroove Numrich 1894S barrel from the 1993 production run.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.